PW Cyprus pic

No Signals

Found this one from the same source on Google Earth as the fire appliance. Challenge - identify every vehicle type in the pic :)

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/10224391.jpg

I got into it by manually typing in the link but ommitting the word "original"

a real collection of Bedfords service RLs civillian QLs and bonnetted Bedford buses Many of the buses and trucks weren't quite what they seemed when you went under the bonnet. Also Landies and Austin K9s.

A scrap yard near Lanaca with hundreds of mint WW2 period vehicles, provided rich pickings for spares. Often by the side of a remote boundu track you would stumble across a K6, Scammel fordson wot1 or QL many Oys were running around. .

The subject picture was taken from the fire section hose tower which then was adjacent to the guardroom. The guardroom is still in the same place but the fire section moved onto the airfield during the station's development and is sited at the foot of ATC facing onto the taxiway parallel to the runway. The best 3 years of my life were spent there 70-73. We were actively involved in supporting the King during the Jordanian civil war, and for the last year of my tour the pro and anti President Makarious fractions were blowing each other up. WE all handed in our Tommy helmets and got 44 pattern turtles, on opening the war reserve crate issued to my flight the helmets were all a bright blue colour with POLICE in white letters; The helmets were stacked in the crate and the liners had melted, consequently every helmet had a black sticking band around it from the liner of the helmet above we used to wrap rag around the inside of the welmet to save the liner sticking to your head !!

It was a time of adventure , fright hard bloody work in the summer months but boy did we play hard !! happy days

TED

bedford ql, rl, oy? landrover series 1, bedford owb bus, austin cx bus? morris 1000 traveller, vauxhal wyvern (or velox)cmp chevy or ford, bedford j type bus (local body[ one preserved in uk]), vw beetle, standard vanguard pick up. humber pullman, sorry all I can identify :-(

All the best

Mark :cool:

bedford ql, rl, oy? landrover series 1, bedford owb bus, austin cx bus? morris 1000 traveller, vauxhal wyvern (or velox)cmp chevy or ford, bedford j type bus (local body[ one preserved in uk]), vw beetle, standard vanguard pick up. humber pullman, sorry all I can identify :-(

and the Austin K9 GS just disappearing out the bottom of the picture :)

I wondered whether it was a Pig that was used by the Danish contingent during their tour. I can only identify two Danish pigs for certain & 25 BK 54 is not on the Danish picture I have.

It was FFW ie FV1612 later went to NI made into Mk 2 in FV1611 role. On 10/11/80 it was struck off to 36 Command Workshops & sent to Queens Division Depot.

• 4 months later...

Hanno well done finding those especially being able to view the large image which is quite detailed.

I have actually seen this pig myself! It was converted into a Mk 2 & ended up in the Grange Cavern Museum, North Wales. But after it closed I don't know what happened to it.

Hanno well done finding those especially being able to view the large image which is quite detailed.

I have actually seen this pig myself! It was converted into a Mk 2 & ended up in the Grange Cavern Museum, North Wales. But after it closed I don't know what happened to it.

My pleasure Clive, and thanks for ID'ing it.

Are any Pigs left in the "Cyprus configuration" (for lack of a better term)? Is this survivor representative for the type in service at that time and place (source: http://www.bredow-web.de)?

It must have been in the pre-UN white colour scheme. That is how I remember the British military vehicles on the island in the early 1970s.

- Hanno

Humber_Pig.jpg

Edited by mcspool

Are any Pigs left in the "Cyprus configuration" (for lack of a better term)? Is this survivor representative for the type in service at that time and place

Well if it is a survivor it has the wrong Bridge Classification it should be '6'. Yes I know 30 BK 09 displays '5' & I have a picture of it in Cyprus displaying '4' even.

A picture of the pig with '7' would make a nice bit of nonsense for that wikipedi. It makes me cringe when I read the Hornet, Pig & Shorland pages. I cannot understand how the ill informed should contribute to what are regarded by many as a reference source. They have a picture of my FV1609, which is described as between a Mk 1 & a Mk 2, for goodness sake.

I gather these things can be changed but I don't see what is to stop corrections being annulled by another poster. So anything I read there on any subject, I am very circumspect about.

Well if it is a survivor it has the wrong Bridge Classification it should be '6'. Yes I know 30 BK 09 displays '5' & I have a picture of it in Cyprus displaying '4' even.

A picture of the pig with '7' would make a nice bit of nonsense for that wikipedi. It makes me cringe when I read the Hornet, Pig & Shorland pages. I cannot understand how the ill informed should contribute to what are regarded by many as a reference source. They have a picture of my FV1609, which is described as between a Mk 1 & a Mk 2, for goodness sake.

I gather these things can be changed but I don't see what is to stop corrections being annulled by another poster. So anything I read there on any subject, I am very circumspect about.

Clive,

You are referring to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humber_Pig? I understand what when someone like you who is very knowledgeable about a subject, he will see many errors in other publications. I have the experience myself, and therefore always make sure to double check. One thing I miss in most Humber Pig write-ups, is the fact that it is an obvious descendant (in an effort not to use the word "copy") from the Canadian GM C15TA Armoured Truck.

What I´d like to know is exactly which types of Pig were used in Cyprus, as I used to live there as a small boy. 'T is where I was infected with The Green Fever Sir! ;)

AFAIK, the Mk.I was used, painted a sand colour. But during which period? Where they later repainted in the white UN scheme like most other vehicles? Where there any special "in theatre" modifications (other than the spurious bridge classification)?

Sorry for asking all these questions, but I hope you can help me to find the answers!

Thanks,

Hanno

See what they were up against - tracked armour!

H.

Gents prior to the UN peacekeeping force forming in 1964, A large number of British units from the RAF Regt and the Army were rushed to the Island to basically protect the turkish enclaves from armed incursions by the Greek cypriots including former EOKA freedom fighters and elements of the Greek Cypriot national guard. amonst the Army units were elements of 16 para brig including 1 para. This force was officially known as TRUCE FORCE, its role was taken over by a UN mandated force in march 1964. I believe all these scenes predate that the airborne marking is clear to see. The scene beyond the picture of 25BK54 is a typical Turkish cypriot village, the Pig and its attendant crew would be there protecting that village. Many Turkish villages were wiped off the map. Hence the draped Union Flag shown as a sign of neutality. I would suggest the other scenes are Greek Cypriot road blocks

after some incident or other. In these scenes are a Greek Cypriot police sgt , a member of the greek cyp national guard in battle dress and and numbers of irregulars. The scout car is almost certainly national guard with the bulldozer being the Eoka irregulars. For those who would like to find out more about this fatastic island that has had far more than its share of bloodshed I have posted a link below.

TED

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/cyprus/Davidcarter/UNFICYP.html

Hanno I agree entirely with you that the pig "is an obvious descendent of C15TA". This should be acknowledged more widely, it is particularly obvious when you look at the real Mk 1 which is the FV1609 with its canvas roof at the rear.

I have never seen a white Pig in British Army service in Cyprus, all the ones I have seen were sand colour.

The Bridge Classification is intriguing. I spoke to a veteran who explained. Makarios et al sort to place restrictions on the use of heavy vehicles on the basis that many bridges were unable to withstand the weight of such heavy vehicles. Overnight the Bridge Classifications were reduced & bridges were thus able to withstand the weight of Pigs falling from '6' to '5' & then even '4'.

One always has to evaluate stories told by veterans. I am sometimes told all sorts of nonsense by apparent veterans who have an answer for everything & sometimes seem to improvise. But the vet told the above story was most believable, not only because he told me other details that I knew to be correct but for a couple of my questions he had the honesty to say "I'm sorry I don't know".

When someone has the courage to say that, then to my mind their credibility goes shooting up. I am always circumspect of someone who has an answer for everything who will often fail on 'test' questions I pose, which is a terrible shame because there may be some useful info but I can't trust it.

A chap I know was stationed in Cyprus, he told me that when they were on convoy through passes some vehicles had sndbags on the floor and three inch mortars mounted. as you went through the pass standard procedure was to motar the hell out each side to dissuade ambush.