youngguns explorer blog

younggun

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Great to meet you young Gun,admire your enthusiasm and spirit,but that reversing was just showing off :-D

Hows yor compressor? Mine was a bit poo when i first had it. I was only chuffing on one cylinder cos one of the valves was gumbed up. Funny thing was the exhaust valves have not got any springs in them the just use gravity and suction to close them, Not sure if this i rigtht but is seems to be ok. How long to pump up your air tanks in the morning? takes mine about 4 of 5 mins at a fast idle.

comressor is in bits all valve spings broken along with a few valves aswell should have it sorted soon. Would take about 10 mins to get air up in the morning so i think i was only running on one cylinder also. i am supprised i made it home now i have taken it apart :shocked:

Edited by younggun

The pictures of Floyd are great but so much more impressive in the flesh. it was not difficult to spot at W&P!

A good looking Explorer, a credit to your hard work.

Cheers,

A

thanks adrian its a shame our paths did not cross while at war and peac keep up the gd work on the diamomd t

Well done on your epic journey mate !:bow::bow::bow: Hope the compressor is not too much of a pain to sort out ! Heres a still from the video I thought you might like ! :-D

thanks andy love that pic . still cant beleive i drove him home :-D

Edited by younggun

Been to Lingfield show this weekend so no more editing done, Graham told me more about your fuel problem, that must have been a nervous trip back especially on the mways im case it re-occurred. Rather you than me :shake:

i had faith in my vehicle :sweat:

Edited by younggun

• 2 months later...

hi all

apologies that i have been keeping my head down for a while i have been busy with other things mainly work.

i decided to kick off the winter maintainance by tackling the rear dif propshaft seal first .

BIG MISTAKE:argh:

now the truck is mobile i can use works yard workshop facilities at weekeds to make the jobs a little easyier . exshaust and rear prop came off with ease and so did the nut on the end of the rear diff prop flange . after that progress seemd to stop as i spent the next 5 hours trying to persuade the rear flange to let go off the shaft . 6 oclock this evenin decided to call it a day after only getting it to move about half an inch on the shaft . i tried everything to hand . i broke 2 puller sets on it, i tried heating it up eventually it to moved a little bit .

am i doin something wrong ? or is it just flood dammage again :cry:

nick

010.jpg

022.jpg

025.jpg

015.jpg

Edited by younggun

Sorry to hear you're struggling with your flange. I guess it may not have been off before, combined with the flood water has made it seize on? I don't really have any great advice short of soaking it as best as can be done, and find a stronger puller set! I did the same seal on both our Explorers last year and they slid off with very little effort, too loose really. I had to take one off again this year which was entertaining cos the nut was really tight, but a high lift jack on the spanner was just enough, and it went with a good bang, and no injuries!

Jules

Have you tried hitting the edge of the flange with a hammer once you have some tension wound into the puller?

Sometimes the extra shock ringing around in the steel is enough to free things. Failing that it's got be a long soak in easing oil or the concoction of your choice.