• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I visited Overloon cemetery on sunday, here are the pics.

The cemetery has 287 burials, one of them Dutch, the rest British. Most men buried here were killed in the battle for Overloon and have died between September 27th and October 30th. A lot of men were killed fighting for this tiny village with an absolute low point in the first weeks of October.

Worst of all, nobody remembers these battles. They were overshadowed by Market Garden, the clearing of the Scheld estuary and then came the Battle of the Bulge.

If I have spurred your interest, a book about this called "the forgotten battle" can be ordered on Amazon.co.uk.

170520091434.jpg

170520091436.jpg

170520091435.jpg

170520091429.jpg

170520091430.jpg

170520091431.jpg

170520091432.jpg

170520091433.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Jerusalem Farm, Tily Sur Selles outside Bayeaux. When the WGC came to collect bodies, the local people kicked up, the men had died for the village, were buried by the village and were part of the village. They would not allow them to be moved. There is also an unknown second world war burial.

DSCF4652.jpg

DSCF4653.jpg

• 7 months later...
Three wargraves in the public cemetery of Veghel. The left grave is of A. Middleton from the Queens Royal regiment, killed on september 30th 1944. The middle on is an unknown polish airman and the one on the right is known but to god.(

ALLEN MIDDLETON, 20 years old from Sheffield, 1/6th Battalion The Queen's Royal Regiment died during the advance from the Somme to Ghent. RIP

Thanks for all these pics and info.

• 2 months later...
Chevpol: The first snap you posted of the double grave of 22 year old James Mountford of the 10th Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment and 20 year old Norman Rogers of the 8th Bn Parachute Regiment is a good start. They were both local men. Rogers came from Cobridge and Mountford was from Burslem. The difference in dates is stark. Rogers died in 1943 while Mountford died in October 1945. I can't account for this but perhaps the graves people had difficulties identifying them when they sorted permanent markers.

I have searched the Sentinel newspapers today and now have copies of the articles that were reported about the deaths of Private James Cecil Mountford and Private Norman Rogers, in case it shed any light on why they came to be buried together, which alas it didnt. Each of the articles also contained photos the men.

The article for Private Mountford reported that he died from multiple injuries following the explosion of a trench mortar which he had fired when on exercise with a party of men. He joined the army in May 1941 went to North Africa in 1943 and was taken prisoner on the Anzio beachhead . On release from a prisoner of war camp in germany he was posted to the Duke of Wellington Regiment at Colchester. One member of the party on the exercise said that he thought that the bomb must have exploded in the air above Private James Mountford. An officer who was also present said he heard a crack and flung himself to the ground, he expressed the opinion that the bomb was faulty and had exploded either on or near the ground.

The cochester coroner gave a verdict of accidental death and said that the unfortunate accident would no doubt bring about a military inquiry.

The article also reported he came from Grove Street Cobridge, his obituary in the paper said he died in Colchester Military Hospital.

The article for Private Norman Rogers was small in comparison, stating he was the son of Mrs Hilda Rogers and the late Mr S Rogers of 11 Grove Street Burslem and he had joined the forces two years previously and he had been employed by Messers Malkins Tiles Burslem Limited prior to this. His funeral was conducuted by the Rev father Cooney assisted by Captain the Rev Father McVeigh an army chaplain. His obituary stated that the funeral cortege would leave from 2 Grove street cobridge so i think he and James Mountford lived in the same street and quite possibly have been friends, well i would like to think that they may have anyway ,coupled with the fact that i cant find a Grove street in Burslem.

I think its nice to know a bit about people who died fighting for their country and remembering them as people not just headstones .

Issy

• 1 year later...

As I havnt posted on this thread for a while (2 years!) I thought that I would share a few grave stones with you all.

All of these are from Burslem Cemetary, I was suprised to discover quite a few WW1 stones, here are a mixed few from both wars

DSCF0368.jpg

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0365.jpg

Edited by chevpol

I don't know what others on here think but ...I always find 'lone' servicemens graves hidden away in ordinary 'public' graveyards very sad....

...with WW1 and nowadays also WW2 causalties, often the poor fellows families have long since passed on and there is no-one left to look after their graves unlike when they are 'all together' in a Military/Commonwealth Services Graveyard.....

...I can't help feeling the poor chap must feel 'lonely' not being buried along with all his mates that he served alongside..........maybe a bit sentimental of me but ...ah well....

many years ago I came across this tiny little graveyard at Highnam just outside of Gloucester..

..I haven't been back there for many many years but I do recall that in the corner was a lone servicemans grave.....forlorn.... and forgotten.....

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=51.8886799&lon=-2.2976232&z=19&l=0&m=b