New vehicle needed

lightweight

Now come on chaps, I badly need a new MV - could one of you hurry up and sell something I fancy?

You can't hold on to them for ever you know and young Lightweight (lighterweight?) keeps harassing me! He has assured me that I would be much happier without the cash cluttering up my bank account:)

I need either something the Aussies use/used - a Unimog would be good, or something wartime, one of those Chevy 11/2 ton tippers would be perfect.

Either way it needs to be big enough to avoid having to pitch a tent everytime I go to a weekend show.

Suggestions welcome.....

Martin

Afraid not but when you go up the steps and inside, to your right is a small storage area with worktop, down both sides are 2 bench seats with underneath storage that convert to a double bed (like a caravan does) and up the bulkhead is a full width worktop with storage underneath, it is equpped with 240v electrical sockets all round, 240v lighting and a 12v light when not connected to a power source, I must admit it is very comfortable and warm and you just pull up lower the steps and climb in, how easy do you want.

Oh, and it fits in my drive during the summer

I need either something the Aussies use/used -

Martin,

If you can wait.........there are some Australians bring vehicles to Normandy next year. They are shipping to Istanbul then driving through Europe. Some intend to sell their vehicle before returning home, others will ship back. I know one guy who has a 1944 Studebaker US6 6x6 truck, ex-Australian army, and wishes to sell over here and another who is coming with a WW2 Lend-Lease Chevrolet truck, again ex-Aussie army..............but I guess you can't wait that long? :)

I can just picture the conversation in the Aussie base camp,

'G'day Sarge, ya great wallaby - just picked up the new vehicle!'

'Great work, cobber - I s'pose it's another of those bloomin' great Perentie things? Just as well 'cos we're going walkabout in the bush next week'

'No mate, it's a Unimog snowplough'

(stunned silence):)

Mark - I have no drive but i'll certainly bear it in mind. Sounds like just the thing for my old bones!

Martin,

If you can wait.........there are some Australians bring vehicles to Normandy next year. They are shipping to Istanbul then driving through Europe. Some intend to sell their vehicle before returning home, others will ship back. I know one guy who has a 1944 Studebaker US6 6x6 truck, ex-Australian army, and wishes to sell over here and another who is coming with a WW2 Lend-Lease Chevrolet truck, again ex-Aussie army..............but I guess you can't wait that long? :)

It is the heir to all my debts that's in a hurry!

These sound good, but I fear I didn't explain myself properly. I would like either.....

a. A modern(ish) vehicle as used by the Australian forces - Unimog, 101, Perentie, Leopard (the last two may be just out of my budget!)

or

b. A US WW2 vehicle to go with my Infantry kit - Chevy, Jimmy, White, DUKW (as above)

Having re-read your post Martin , I think a Unimog is going to be far too small for you . I know they look big - everybody who sees mine says that , but I tell them to try sitting in it . If you've never been in one they are awkward - at best - to get in and out of - and incredibly small once you're actually inside the thing .

Good luck & have fun looking .

Dave .

A friend of mine had a 'mog some years ago. I don't remember how big it was inside but I only want something about the size of a WC51 - I don't want a motor home, just somewhere to lay the old swede of a night!

I have slept soundly in the back of my Defender but want a little more space than it offers. Have slept many a night across the back of the seats in a WC51 (on a stretcher) and had room for all my rubbish as well, I suppose I could go for one of them - there appears to be a nice 6 wheeler on Milweb at the moment - but haven't they got expensive recently!

Yeah my GMC too!

That was a joke by the way:readbook:

Martin - has to be a GMC - you will all of the room that you will need. I am told that they are easy to repair........:coffee: and easy to find spares!

Both Degsy's and Marks are nice vehicles - nearly went for Degsy's one myself - but go hit by a stack of unexpected bills from the daughters Uni.

If looking for a GMC you wouldn't go wrong with either one of these!!

Jack - if they are that easy to fix then you KNOW what the next question is going to be, don't you!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Had an elderly landy before, although they do look cool don't they!

Thought something more like this...

101stuff2006045.jpg

I had a similar picture of a Unimog but can't find it now, which would be more the sort of size I'm looking for. I could, of course, just paint my Defender but I rather like having that as an off-roader.....

DSC02882.jpg

Edited by lightweight

I had a similar picture of a Unimog but can't find it now, which would be more the sort of size I'm looking for.

Hi Martin,

Here is a photo I took of an Australian Army Unimog, in Alice Springs.

The trailer behind it has a very unusual role........it is a camel transporter, for the mascot of the RACT.

unimog.jpg