WW2 Oils???

Hi Folks,

As the new owner of a WW2 truck, I have been reading through the reprinted original workshop manual and .... Don't know what the modern = of these oils are?

30 HD - Engine oil

C.600 -Axles, Gearbox, Transfer box etc etc.

Grease No.2 & No.3

And is Brake fluid No.3 the same as Dot 3??

Any help would be appreciated Please!

All the best

Fred

Hi Fred.

I ordered some 30HD oil from Stuart Lubricants in Wolverhampton and when it arrived it said HD30 on the drum. C600 is EP140 grease No3 was Shell Retinax A and Brake fluid No 3 is DOT 3. I have run my Hippo on these lubricants for 25 years. OK the engine has now been changed to a Cummins and runs modern multigrade but the rest is the same. The transfer box uses Hypoy 90. If you are still not convinced rind Stuart Lubricants and speak to there Tech Department. They are really helpful people and can provide you with Data sheets. 01902 877600. They also do MIL Spec oils and can convert the MIL Spec numbers to something understandable.

I changed the Hippo engine after a rear main bearing failed. E173 engines were known for it. The Cummins came along with a 5 speed synchro Spicer 'box 40'000 miles for £700 pounds Delivered. It's got more power (35BHP) revs higher and the Hippo does 16MPG on the motorway at 45MPH. I have achieved 18.5MPG going to Dover.

Phil.

C600 is definately not the same as EP140. It has a similar viscosity but the additives in EP oils are not for use with yellow metals and C600 is. In many cases, there is no problem but it would pay to check your gearbox/steering box first.

The nearest equivelant I found was Shell Valvata but any non EP gear oil should be fine.

Oh Yes!!

If you wanna a strait answer....ask someone who knows eh??

So I Did!!

Good old Richard!

Thanks Matey,

Fred & Annika

PS. She is a QL D cargo, just like my Dad drove throughout D Day+1 and all through the War untill 1946demob. She's a bute!

Oh Yes!!

If you wanna a strait answer....ask someone who knows eh??

So I Did!!

Good old Richard!

Thanks Matey,

Fred & Annika

PS. She is a QL D cargo, just like my Dad drove throughout D Day+1 and all through the War untill 1946demob. She's a bute!

Well done Fred, got a soft spot for QL's, as a kid used to help with the boats on Blackpool beach just to get a ride in the QL's and Bren carriers.

Happy days:-D

Well done Fred, got a soft spot for QL's, as a kid used to help with the boats on Blackpool beach just to get a ride in the QL's and Bren carriers.

Happy days:-D

Hi Degsy,

My reason for buying the old girl is because my Dad used to drive one during the war, so as me and the Mrs now dress up as my mum n dad for the 40's nights, we thought we would go WW2 and so sold the old Ferret (Boo Hoo, Sob Sob)

But looking foward to it

All the Best

Fred & Annika

Hi Degsy,

My reason for buying the old girl is because my Dad used to drive one during the war, so as me and the Mrs now dress up as my mum n dad for the 40's nights, we thought we would go WW2 and so sold the old Ferret (Boo Hoo, Sob Sob)

But looking foward to it

All the Best

Fred & Annika

Big difference from the Ferret Fred but I'm sure you'll enjoy it and it will be a perfect vehicle to turn up in style at the 40's events.:-D

Well damm my best boots. You give the folks that make the stuff the full spec and they sell you the wrong stuff. That was 20 years ago. Must get it out quick. Modern EP 140 doesn't cause 'Bronze gear degerdation.' Not according to my supplier. It doesn't contain the additives that are reputed to do it. Still each to his own. All I know is they supply it to me at a VERY good price. That way I change my oil twice a year. Standing for a week after a long run at a week end doesn't help oil. You can get a build up of condensation. I'm probably wrong though! I do on average 2000 miles plus in a year.

I maintain the Hippo on my own including tyre swaps and enjoy the 'Bigun as much now as I did when I first found it 25 years ago.

Phil P.

• 1 month later...
Modern EP 140 doesn't cause 'Bronze gear degerdation.

Yep we have been here before, crops up every couple of months. EP oils that are GL 4 or below will not attack bronze / yellow metals, GL5 EP oils have high sulphur content and will attack yellow / bronze metals.

:coffee:

Another equivalent to C600 is Morris Lubricants AG140, a straight 140 gear oil.

Easily distiguished as it is a funky purple colour and is so thick that you can pick up drips from the can by hand and put them back!

Used to put AG140 in AEC phosphour bronze worm and wheel diffs. Have seen one that had EP in it for years explode.