What i want is a little cottage in the country

Great War truck

As Tim says, a well known photo. A quick dip in the library and I unearthed a magazine from 1973 with it in.

Just as interesting (to me) is that it shared space with a photo of a 1937 Wolseley 21hp car which had been fitted with utility ambulance body during the war, presumably seeing service during the Blitz. What became of it?? (Tim can you post a photo?)

Liberty truck?

Well you are certainly on the right track. Any more guesses before i start giving some clues away?

I will let you know that it is a WW1 truck situated in the UK. That the owner liked it so much that when he retired he parked it up and converted it into a house and lived in it for the rest of his life. And no it is not Steve as he is still alive, although i have noticed him measuring up the body plans for the Dennis and asking if we think it possible to fit a double bed and bath in the back.

Tim (too)

Sorry no. It is in fact a Locomobile (or Riker)

DSCN3794.jpg

This one was used by the Highland Division (the original markings were still visible). It has been fully restored and now lives near Ipswich in a very large shed. It has been taken to a number of shows but has not been out so much in the last few years. It was probably one of the first Great War trucks that was restored in this country.

The truck was in very good condition and having been cocooned like that you would probably expect it to be so.

Tim (too)

...the owner liked it so much that when he retired he parked it up and converted it into a house and lived in it for the rest of his life...

The story is that this 'house' was the home of 92-year old George Vincent for nearly 50 years. Built in 1916 in Bridgport, Connecticut it was shipped to England as part of the war effort. Afterwards it was sold through a garage in London's Edgware Road, registered as XK548. Mr Vincent thereafter used it in connection with his business until he decided to block it up and carefully protect it from the elements, using it as his home.