...do you wash a military vehicle

Mark

Question

I don't wash the Dodge, prefer the "it comes form the front" look.

But if there is a layer of mud on the inside of the mudguards and such removing is a good idea. It may hold water and cause rust.

I don't use powerwashers (Karcher).

The water gets everywhere because of the high pressure.

About the Scorpion...

Here's a (dusty) model I made 20 - 25 years ago, it has the same number.

It was in a set with a Brit boat and ???

Scorpion003Medium.jpg

Lol last Airfix Scorpion I built was January 1976 and with a very definite purpose in mind.

I was on my Scorpion Gunnery Course at Catterick. We spent a lot of time in the Field Miniature Range (FMR). To simulate firing Scorpion in those HEath Robinson days, we had a Scorpion in a hangar and attached a modified .22" rifle to the turret, linked to the barrel of the main armament and adjusted to align with the gunners sight at a sandpit about 15 yards away. In the sandpit were rubber block targets representing tanks, about the size a real tank would appear between 800m and 1500m away.

There was also a mover rail, a bit like a ski drag-lift dragging rubber targets around the sandpit in a triangle so that at various points you could shoot at a sideways mover or oblique movers toward or away, which all had different drills from static targets because a HESH round would be in the air nearly three seconds whilst flying 1500 metres. (Of course the .22" round was in the air for just the blink of an eye. The gunnery instructor was well-versed in adjusting the point of aim of the .22" off so that the round fell off the mark on the graticule pattern in the sight that had been the gunner's aiming mark as it would have been had it been a HESH in the air for three seconds.)

"So why did you build an Airfix Scorpion?" I hear you screaming.

Because the rubber targets were about the same size as the Airfix Scorpion, I thought it would be a laugh to build the Scorpion, attach a hook made from sprue to the front, then when we went into the FMR and prepped for firing, I'd slip the Scorpion onto one of the drop-wires in place of a rubber target. I have to say that, hit by a ,22" round, bits of Scorpion flew all over the hangar.

It then begged the question, did RAF Regiment use Army-registered Scorpions? I am sure somebody here has a formerly-Air Force-registered Spartan.

Don't believe the numbers on the decal sheets. The AFV club Scimitar has the reg number for a Spartan.

I own that RAF Spartan. All the RAF registered CVRTs were passed to the Army at one stage or another. I was told they were ordered as replacements for the vehicles lost at sea on the way to the Falklands. As for the RAF using Army vehicles, I've never seen a photo but that doesn't mean they didn't.

Incidently, the Spartan, like our other vehicles, does get washed regularly. A combination of car shampoo, hose or pressure washer and ocassionally a crow bar to get the big lumps of mud out the tracks. The last thing you want is a lump of rock hard mud flying off at 40mph and hitting a car/person/horse/house.

Chris

IMG_2801.JPG

Edited by sirhc