...do you wash a military vehicle

Mark

Question

I have heard of people using WD40 for a sort of "shine"

Mark,

For years I used Duck oil to bring the colour up, as did a lot of other people at the time. I tried WD40 on a vehicle this year that has not had anything on the paint before, and I was quite impressed, not too much of a sheen, more like it was when freshly painted.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Whats wrong with good old fashioned diesel gets on the little blighters clothes when they dont ask permission to get in your motor.Wash once a year plain water Niels polish.

At the Light Dragoons Association Weekend, I couldn't help but notice that all the vehicles, even though prepared for display, were grubby, just like they were when I served.

But the Scorpion, provided by a civvy to complete the display (see clip on HMVF TV), shone like new.

Actually I discovered last week that that particular Scorpion, 02 FD 21, is famous. Wor Lass asked if we could call in at Hobbycraft, so while she was mooching, as usual I had a wander round the train sets and plastic models. No intention of buying, just more interesting than her card.

Having brought up the subject of the Aifix Command Post Set recently, I stumbled upon the Airfix RAF Airfield set, featuring, IIRC, a Land Rover, a Scorpion and a Harrier. Imagine my surprise when I realised the Scorpion depicted on the box was 02 FD 21. It then begged the question, did RAF Regiment use Army-registered Scorpions? I am sure somebody here has a formerly-Air Force-registered Spartan.

Back on topic. My first season on Scorpion was the long, hot, dry summer of 76 on Salisbury Plain. We were embargoed from washing down to save water. The thickness of chalky dust that collected on a Scorpion was unfeasible, being an inch thick in most places.

Windscreen. Lights and Number plates, ie stay legal. Very proud that my Dodge has genuine Somme and Ypres mud on it. :-D

:police: just don't let that mud fall off on the road, that's an offence too if it causes an accident - just ask anyone leaving an off roading/ 4x4 centre who has not done a washdown :police:

I gaurd my mud very carefully!! Having umpteen tippers running mud through the place to a 'Council Community nature reserve' :pfrt: very much agree, wash wheels well.

Council trying to bury you in mud......hmmm....do you think they might be trying to tell you something:idea::)