WWII Bridge Plates

Tony Pearson

Question

11 answers to this question

Hi

After some more help please lads

Dose anyone know if the original WWII brigde plates were totaly flat or had a beveled edge i have seen both designs and not sure which is right.

Also what sizes they were.

I know my wartime Ford WOT2 and WOA2 both had bridge plates fitted at the factory in Dagenham and they were bevelled. They were also painted Yellow, but no number was painted on them.

Information is from original photos.

This CMP Ford F15A has had its original bridge classification plate refitted when being restored. It is flat and has the size of a CMP headlight aperture. It has four holes along the edge, plus two more towards the centre to attach it to the truck, either in place of the headlight, or another place in case two headlights are fitted.

imm035_36.jpg

Hope this helps,

Hanno

Jack recently posted two pics of an Autocar with a painted bridge plate on the curved surface of the bonnet front - see Heavyweights in American Trucks section.

Do I take it the plates with curved edge (as for example sold by Marcus Glenn) are British Post War or what? :confused: