writing a thread

HotBed

Question

can anyone tell me please why, when i post to a thread sometimes when i write more than 1 paragraph, when i post it says im not logged in which i was at the beginning, im not a fast typer an it pi--es me off to say the least when it happens

regards

15 answers to this question

Hi Graham, a trick you can use if you're posting something you need to think about or is just long, is to do it in word pad. Open WordPad start writing your post in there and 'save' to your desktop. You can go back to it any time until you are happy with it, (save it each time) then copy and paste it into post window and submit it.

Hi Graham, a trick you can use if you're posting something you need to think about or is just long, is to do it in word pad. Open WordPad start writing your post in there and 'save' to your desktop. You can go back to it any time until you are happy with it, (save it each time) then copy and paste it into post window and submit it.

wot o bernard,

thanks for advice i will get my computer guru to show me how to do that because at the moment you might as well talk to me in swahelee

regards

Start / Programs / Accessories / Notepad

Type in your message.

Press and hold the Ctrl key and press A to select All your text.

Press and hold Ctrl and press C to Copy it to your Windows clipboard (a temporary storage space).

Press and hold Alt and press the Tab key (left-right arrows above the left-hand Caps Lock key) repeatedly until the little window in the screen tells you you are back in HMVF (IF you opened Notepad with HMVF already open, it will probably only take a single Tab click).

Create your new message, Click the mouse in the window where you propose to type your text.

Press and hold Ctrl and press V to paste the contents of your clipboard into the message field.

Sorted.

I found with Notepad that if I alter, edit or delete the text it often appears with a lot of spaces when pasted in the message window and I have to sort it out, better with Wordpad. Maybe just me though.........

I found that while I was prototyping my reply to the OP. I suspect Notepad does something unusual with the end-of-line character.

Don't care (sorry) but HMVF never drops under me even when typing a long one.

When I transferred from Royal Armoured Corps to Shiny-Bottomed .... I mean Royal Army Pay Corps ... one of the first things we did was roll up at 0800 hours every Monday for a session with a lovely WRAC corporal. We were required to touch-type at 15 words per minute.

I quickly discovered I could type with about four fingers looking at the keyboard more quickly than I could touch-type looking at the screen. After a few lessons, we started taking tests. I made 17 wpm and was told I no longer needed to attend. But she was such a lovely girl.

Thursday night is Hop night for the Army around the world (because Friday and Saturday are weekend and there are therefore even higher priorities). The Computer Centre (to which I was posted three years later) and the Command Pay Office UKLF were both on the same site, and each was 50% civilian-manned. As a result, there was a Civil Service Club on site and the Worthy Down Hop took place there.

We hardened former combat troops always ensured we got drunk cheaply in the NAAFI before wandering up to the Civil Service Club. I have fond memories of W/Cpl Bain ensuring she danced with me. Shame that:

1. I was so drunk I danced lying down;

2. My wife was about seven months pregnant.

The only typing problem I have is that I have a shiny new (ish) black keyboard and right above my terminal is a flourescent light cluster. Although I know where all the keys are and I mentally type ahead, the reflection of the lights on the keys means I guess where the keys are and if I get a finger one key out of place, I'll type a whole paragraph without looking up, then when I do look up, it's nonsense. Which is why you often see Y for T, P for O, S for D and so on. It's worse when I only make the occasional mistake because, even though I have been an ISO9001 accredited proof-reader, the occasional one slips through because I am confident of what I have typed and I miss the typo.

Colleagues hate my pedantry over spellings, grammar and syntax (being a linguist makes it even worse).

Edited by AlienFTM
Typo: R for E exactly as described.

One problem I've had occasionally on this and other forums is the web page crashing or freezing during the uploading of a post; really annoying if you've typed a long story. I often just open a new email and type in there, then copy and paste it into the forum before posting. The email usually keeps the text format/paragraphs etc, so you don't need to edit spaces and paragraphs again.

Steve