Victory Show.

Jack

One dedicated field for ww2 only, no post war, a lot of deep trenches with usually a few tanks part-buried & many dioramas. Then a field for traders & post war.

Then a 3rd field just for the battle with over 300 re-enactors involved in that & a lot of armored vehicles, with a few thousand spectators sitting up on the grass bank that runs parallel. (Would post some pics but lost them)

Dinner for 650 in the marquee with waitress service.

Number of visitors over weekend must be in tens of 000's

So its going to be a cracking event but forcast still looking wet.

Are you going Jack?

I intend to make the most of it, as this show has grown so much in the three years its been running that they intend to restrict or ban post war vehicles from future shows as they want it ww2 only.

Perhaps you could bring a flag along for me please.

I intend to make the most of it, as this show has grown so much in the three years its been running that they intend to restrict or ban post war vehicles from future shows as they want it ww2 only.

That's exactly the attitude we were referring to in the great PW/WW2 debate.. So what is the reason for this?? things like this are bad for the movement & cause a divide...

Perhaps you could bring a flag along for me please

Careful those flags are PW you may get banned ;)

I think they are looking at restricting it because they want to make this show different from the rest. Its organised by ww2 re-enactors so their preference is for a ww2 theme. As mentioned before its been a successful event so they can afford to be selective and ensure they are not swamped with Land Rovers etc. taking up lots of room. ww2 stuff already over-spilled into the second field/car park last year.

Looking at their promo stuff, their objectives are to make this the 'Largest WWII Experience & Extravaganza in the UK'. So the organisers have clearly made this commitment & intend to stick to it, so why dilute it?

Decision probably also down to available space, they already have about 300 mv's booked.

So I can see there point, but would be disappointed if I couldn't get in next year, or perhaps post war stuff will just be moved further away. Or I'll just tow a ww2 bike next year.

But then they did just go and shell out a large amount of money for the Vulcan so that kinda weakens their argument, but then that particular bird does help put bums on seats.

But then they did just go and shell out a large amount of money for the Vulcan so that kinda weakens their argument, but then that particular bird does help put bums on seats.

Not really... you don't have to pay & be in the showground to see it :coffee:

Decision probably also down to available space, they already have about 300 mv's booked.

There's nothing interesting about 300 jeeps parked next to each other.

This show is just down the road from here, if I wasn't going on holiday I might have gone. Sounds like next year I won't even get the chance.

Chris

I agree it does cause a divide restricting pw & not healthy, but like it or not the majority of re-enactors there are ww2 purists & when they take pics of displays they don't want pw stuff in background. So the majority rules & doubt there is much we can do about it.

Though looking on the re-enacting forum the show organisers will have to be careful that it doesn't just become a field full of tents.

Not been to M.O. but have heard some of the comments.

So even if I can't take my K9 there next year I would probably still visit as MOP as I rate this show.

Chris,

Thought you were getting a WW2 truck for the Normandy tour next year?

Just the thing for this show ;)

Trying Richard! Not been able to find one yet, and the guy selling the WOT2 won't answer his phone or reply to emails. I could probably drive the Sabre to the Victory show, I'd rather do that than drive a truck!

Chris

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Crikey how come i missed this ruck,i can see both sides here,but i think its dangerous to put all eggs in same basket,i see the time coming with the depression,fuel prices etc where they may be glad of who they can get.personally i am a little worried about hundreds of people dressed ww2 reenacting,digging holes in other peoples fields,but i dont mind the medieval lot knocking seven bales out of each other.is it because our fathers were there and i personally feel they were all sold down the river post war.anyway what do i know.

A calculated risk perhaps? I'm certainly not in favour of them restricting pw but the organisers seem to be a well organised team with a unique site & have managed it well so far.

Their homepage says 'This year’s show commemorates the end of hostilities during WW2. The two day event is held over a 60 acre site, providing historical societies & re-enactments through various forces from several era's and theatres during the period of 1939-45. From Airmen to Infantry, the Victory Show 2008 opens a window in time to the fabulous 1940's.

They are focused on this theme and whilst 60 acres sounds alot, 60 acres can soon be filled.

oh well, think I've said enough, I'm looking forward to it & will see what happens.