What papers required?

MiketheBike

If a Saracen were for sale, never issued to the MOD, but used by Hong Kong Police, what papers would be required to get it registered? I am assuming it would not have release papers?

Its up on ebay at the moment (item 120297466039).

Other question...how do I convince the missus I need it?

Great for shopping cos:

1. No problems finding a parking space
  2. No chance of it being nicked whilst in the shops
  3. no chance of it being clamped or "lifted" by unscrupulous clamping firms
  4. No risk of being car jacked
  5. No risk of unscrupulous Eastern Europeans trying the "Wash the screen then extort money" ploy
  6. LOADS of room in the back for the shopping
  7. She can take more than 3 of her mates with her when she goes shopping
  8. She'll earn LOADS of Tesco points when refuelling

How's that for starters!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

How could she refuse!!!! I was kinda hoping it would be green and she just wouldn't notice it next to the others.

Anyhow...as y9ou have been through the hoops with your OT (sorry...moot point :( ), what papers do I need to get something registered? Considering it was never issued to the MOD.

Mick

Mike,

You need the same paperwork to get anything registered. I didn't have a release form for the Ferret or Fox, but was able to get dating evidence from the Tank Museum. Without seeing what dataplates are in the Saracen it's hard to know what you'll need to do, but it should be possible to date it from the contract number if this is on the plate. You will need a letter from the MVT/Tank Museum etc and you can present this along with the insurance, MOT (or exemption) and V55 in order to register it.

Chris

How could she refuse!!!! I was kinda hoping it would be green and she just wouldn't notice it next to the others.

Anyhow...as y9ou have been through the hoops with your OT (sorry...moot point :( ), what papers do I need to get something registered? Considering it was never issued to the MOD.

Mick

I'll let you off - this time!!! :)

Like Chris says - you will need:

• A completed V55/5 Form

• A completed V112G (MOT Exemption form)

• A valid certificate of insurance

• A bill of sale or invoice to prove you do own it

• A a letter from an accredited source (MVT, IMPS Bovvy etc.) for evidence of age if you don't want a Q plate

• Your cheque book

• 2 proofs of ID such as passport and driving license

• A utility bill from within the last 3 months as proof of where you live

As it's coming in from overseas they might give you a customs form to fill in as well. Expect to be there 30 or 40 minutes!

As it's coming in from overseas they might give you a customs form to fill in as well. Expect to be there 30 or 40 minutes!

Be aware you may need to prove that customs duty & VAT were paid when it re-entered the UK. The DVLA will notify HMRC as a matter of course if a vehicle is being registered following import. DVLA may not register the vehicle until they have proof that HMRC are happy - a rare example of government departments working together! I went through this with the MUTT.

PM on its way to you :).

- Mike

Ah didn't think I was seeing things. another oddity see the Stolly the second Lara Croft film has a Stolly in the prision scene, appears to have side doors. were any built like that?

Short answer = No.

Some of the Lara Croft ones had the sides opened to allow for filming whilst Ms Jolie was in the cab. Others were normal Stalwarts. I looked at one of the non-modified ones whilst shopping for little Maud.

Ok, so if it was used by the Hong Kong Police, before they got their independence, and was brought back into the country before that time, would the DVLA notify HMRC?

I know its overcomplicating things, and its asking for trouble, but just curious what the trade laws were when it was still the UK? :)

Mick

Mick,

You will need to find out where it was sold off. I think it was probably bought back here and then went through the auctions, but it was before my time so can't say for sure. There were a few ex-HK Saracens for sale a few years ago. I don't think it will be a problem.

Chris

Ok, so if it was used by the Hong Kong Police, before they got their independence, and was brought back into the country before that time, would the DVLA notify HMRC?

I know its overcomplicating things, and its asking for trouble, but just curious what the trade laws were when it was still the UK? :)

Mick

If it helps - the OT came from a UK dealers with all import duties etc paid as part of the selling proce. I still had to fillin the customs form simply because it never had a UK registration before. Purely a paper exercise.

Might be worth contacting Avation Jersey, they were Alvis AFV dealer in the '70's. May well have been the ones who supplied them in the first place. The other company under the same roof was called Travelectric and made electric wheelchairs. Could never decide if was to salve conciense or cash in at both ends. Thier office is at Beaumont Jersey, will be about 400 m from it next week.