Shopping..... with your Military Vehicle!

Adam Elsdon

Just to make a change from the usual, "It's Big Greasy and 'ard as nails" or more cheerfully.."My MV took part in and was fully responsible for the total annihalation of such and such's Army" type thread :-\

Here it is your opportunity to show what real benefit a Military Vehicle can bring to everybodys every day life!

Following on from another thread, that had some bloke in the German papers shopping with his Fox, i thought why not tie in a mundane activity with any excuse to use a Military vehicle, take a picture and get it on here. Requirements are for your shopping to feature in the picture, preferably with people looking at you like you had grown another head!

So here it is, Mrs Elsdon and family (The boy is in the back of the Pig, my daughter didnt have any black tape for anonymity and improvised).

And yes it is parked in the Parent and Child slot

Its the only time i have seen the staff of a supermarket come out and openly gawp at a vehicle in the car park! be prepared to let the wife do the shopping herself, while you answer allsorts of odd questions.

16082008128.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon
I am a sausage fingered moron :)

We took the Ferret shopping at Tescos too. Funny, when we parked between two "normal" vehicles, the owners looked worried, mind you, you should have seen their faces when they realised it was driven by a woman!!!!! He he, I like doing that!!! As I was asked by a comentator at a show once, "how easy is it to park?", reply, very, you can park wherever you like.....

This one is Croc's Explorer, the manager commented about how many parking spaces it took up! if he had come back 20 minutes later, he probably would have had something to say about the Exxon Valdez re-enactment underneath it! Scotch eggs were nice though :)

16082008125.jpg

no pics, but when I had the 5.7 ltr caprice, pulled onto a petrol station to fill up, got some strange looks from the guy in the kiosk, might have been something to do with me in full USAF uniform!!!

Another time, when we got the 2 jelly bean shaped caprices, we went to dads local morrisons to fill up, and we were watched all the way onto and off the station by the cctv cameras, you could see them moving to follow us!!!

Mark

:thumbsup:Well done , Nice to show the labor of love you have worked so hard on , While it might get a bit of attention at a Military show ......As you have stated it get much more attention at the local Market , especially when the Better Half is behind the wheel !!!!:thumbsup::tup::

On exercise in Central Germany. We had recced into the town of Forst and found successively an Armoured Combat Team HQ in a farmyard and a company of mechanised infantry dismounting from their 432s. A quick fire mission on each location and we were good for breakfast.Then we discovered we were out of milk so I disconnected the Clansman breastplate from its drop-lead, threw small metal gun over my shoulder and, still wearing bonedome, bimbled round the corner into the little grocer's shop (a little shop that was a grocery: no aspersions on the grocer's height).

The little old lady behind the counter and her customer (who were both probably old enough to remember the last time we came through ...) were heatedly discussing the exercise going on all around them. They stopped and the grocer turned to speak to me. "Englisch, ja?"

We were Orange Forces (exercise enemy). In map reading, the standard has always been to show friendly forces in blue (hence "blue-on-blue") and enemy forces in red. But not wanting to rile the Commies and escalate the Cold War, enemy forces were always "Orange". And the exercise scenario never involved the Commies coming over the IGB: they were usually Fantasian forces or Ruritanian or whatever bright idea the senior officer who wrote (or lost) the plot had chosen.

Being Orange Forces, I was wearing a red - I mean orange - armband to indicate the fact.

Quick as a flash, on being asked if I was English, I pointed at my armband, smiled and replied, "Nein. Bin Russki." Expression on their faces? Priceless.

heh :)

Reminds me of an exercise over here back in '94...

"Hello Zero, this is Lima One One Bravo, Contact, Wait out" was the first notice to the head shed that all was not well...

Five minutes later, the slightly expanded report went out...

"Hello Zero, this is Lima One One Bravo, Contact Report, over"

"Lima One One Bravo, This is Zero, send, over"

"Lima One One Bravo. Alpha. My location. Bravo. Five minutes ago. Charlie. Enemy recce team in 4-ton truck, four aboard, brandishing rifles and fingers. Truck passed north along road to the front of my location and did not stop. Delta. No shots fired either way. Echo. Standing to, bird returned to enemy. Over"

There was a long pause, and then...

"Hello Lima One One Bravo, this is Zero Alpha, over"

The boss man sounded perplexed.

"Lima One One Bravo, send, over"

"Zero alpha. There is a detachment of RAVC nearby. What bird, where did you get it, and given the enemy didn't stop, was it injured in the exchange, over?"

Cue the assemblage in my TP rolling off their various perches laughing their backsides off. I dare say the RSM cued the boss in, as the next message was a "disregard my last":rofl:

when we were going to a leaf springers event we stopped at asda with the land rover now land rover yeah normal but not mine with the antenna's etc plus me sat on the spare wheel in ful DPM's in the sun.

all i can say about when you take your MV to the "normal" places the amount of people that come up and ask you what it is after having no clue then proceed to tell you all about it...funny that lol

Some years ago at Beltring we had to go collect a Humvee so we took the RSOV.

Now imagine a black special forces landrover (no weapons) filled with uniformed guys wearing helmets and Arafat scarves driving on the road and into a supermarket carpark....

Beltring 2007-2 027 (Medium).jpg

Petrol stations are great, :-D.esp when both tanks need filling, .........ok, drive up to pump, fill nearest tank,...no problems.........start up, and drive forward, (away from pump) .....that tends to get cctv/attendents attention, before backing into (hopfully)space on other side to fill that side tank..........:)

The comments I've had after doing this,.....:cool2: (paying also gets interesting, some times.........:whistle:)

Any adverse comments made be awaiting customers, can be almost guarenteed to change to ones of interest, if you casually drop into dialogue, the mention of ' been FILMING',........;)

Even better with a Stalwart Andy - first you appear out of the roof. Then you climb down the side holding onto a LARGE iron bar. This gets wedged between the hull and the forecourt - much to the cashiers relief usually. Then you grab the hose and climb back up the vehicle then hang on with one hand whilst the other one holds the nozzle until the pump clicks off. Then you climb down, replace the nozzle, grab it again and repeat the procedure.

All of which takes a goodly few minutes after which you wander over and pay for the fuel. Then you climb back in and start the girl up - and if you get it right those in the line behind suddenly generate lots of methane from seeing the flames out of the exhaust stack!! :evil: :evil:

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Even better with a Stalwart Andy - first you appear out of the roof. Then you climb down the side holding onto a LARGE iron bar. This gets wedged between the hull and the forecourt - much to the cashiers relief usually. Then you grab the hose and climb back up the vehicle then hang on with one hand whilst the other one holds the nozzle until the pump clicks off. Then you climb down, replace the nozzle, grab it again and repeat the procedure.

All of which takes a goodly few minutes after which you wander over and pay for the fuel. Then you climb back in and start the girl up - and if you get it right those in the line behind suddenly generate lots of methane from seeing the flames out of the exhaust stack!! :eveil: :evil:

:cool2::cool2: :rofl:

remind me NOT to pull up behind you, Neil....:sweat: