Hello from Jan

Guest jan

Right I think this is what we are meant to do. But I'm a bit shy about these sort of intros. I was born abroard but my parents moved here when I was small. My English is not fantastic I'm afraid, not because of where I was born but at school I was always getting in to trouble & mucking about!

My dad had an old army land rover but I never took much notice of it. My ex had several land rovers but he never seemed to do much with them except pull them to pieces & talk about them. So we never really got to many shows. But that will change I hope now I have moved, I can buy something green of mine own. Not too technical at the moment but trying to learn. Hope to have something for next year. Went as a spectator to War & Peace before we split so want to go there next year with my own green vehicle, but don't know what it will be yet.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Welcome Jan,theres lots of l/rover owners on here that just talk about them,you say your ex was a he,so are we talking to a Lady,not that it matters a broken half shaft.Have fun this place is infectious.CW.

Thank you to you all, I was dreading nobody would answer. I think madhouse is about it. I have been watching the forum for some weeks now & seen what goes on. You get some strange people on here although sometimes it is quite funny.

catweasle that's a strange name, but maybe you are normal underneath. But you & bodge shouldn't jump to conclusions about people. Gender shouldn't matter these days :nono:

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Thank you to you all, I was dreading nobody would answer. I think madhouse is about it. I have been watching the forum for some weeks now & seen what goes on. You get some strange people on here although sometimes it is quite funny.

catweasle that's a strange name, but maybe you are normal underneath. But you & bodge shouldn't jump to conclusions about people. Gender shouldn't matter these days :nono:

I didnt,thats why i asked the question,it matters to me because being an old fart and dragged up in an approve school i would treat you differently.

dont wont to play the gender game so youve given me the hump straight off.:-Dps i am not normal underneath by a long way ask anyone on here.:rofl:

Welcome Jan,

Catweazle is a much loved fixture on HMVF, a bit like an old Jack Russell, but with better table manners. Even though I'm younger than him, I fully agree with his old fashioned manners; which are offered to anyone of any gender, except one or two established forum members...:-D

All new members have to do a stint of cleaning in the clubhouse, a tradition that goes back as far as, er.., the club house. We like it that way and the Holy Grail at the end is a key to the biscuit stash. Custard Creams excepted, which are only for Mods called Snapper.

Hopefully you'll find lots of useful info and enjoy some of the utter tosh we generate in the name of fun and friendship. We are planning a full HMVF area at Beltring for 2009. Bring your own high spirits.

MB

I didnt,thats why i asked the question,it matters to me because being an old fart and dragged up in an approve school i would treat you differently.

dont wont to play the gender game so youve given me the hump straight off.:-Dps i am not normal underneath by a long way ask anyone on here.:rofl:

Oh dear I've offended someone in the first few hours of coming on this forum. sorry. I don't think I'm going to survive very long at this rate. And what did you mean by "this place is infectious"? Got me worried now.

Welcome Jan . Good to have you along - perhaps the clubhouse manners will improve .............Yeah Ok...wishful thinking .

You misunderstand though - the whole object of being here is to offend as many people as possible...........

That's what they told me anyway...being trying my best too .....

Welcome, another calming influence on the club house? Just beware if your offered a ride in a tank. :-D actually catweazle is perfectly sane by the standards here (Just don't mention the H word!) Does this mean the bar will have to serve Sherry?

Edited by Tony B
My fingers are disluszic!

Does this mean the bar will have to serve Sherry?

Well I'm not 95 years old so sherry would certainly not do! And if your chat up line is not "Hello darling, would you like another Babycham" ! You're not going to make it mate!

But "Hello darling, would you like another pint of lager" might meet with more success.

Fine! I stand corrected:-D. Some of us try to be old fashioned Gentelman. Lasts about two minutes. which part of the world are you in?

I'll just say southern England. I've recently had to move rather quick & although I don't think my ex is quite technical enough for the internet, you never know.

Welcome Jan,don't worry there are some normal folks on here,or so I'm told....!

Matt.(who isn't quite normal and hasn't been for some time)

Are they like this all the time or do they get nervous with women?

Edited by jan

Oh not to worry a trip to the Doctors and a dose of something from the Chemist will set things right in no time , as least that's what the survivors said .....

Welcome to the Friendly Forum and while ownership is not required only an interest in things military , with time and knowladge You ll soon be buying something O.D. its just the way things go .

Well I'm not 95 years old so sherry would certainly not do! And if your chat up line is not "Hello darling, would you like another Babycham" ! You're not going to make it mate!

But "Hello darling, would you like another pint of lager" might meet with more success.

Aaah lager. The trouble I have been in over the years for calling lager a woman's drink. (Look, when I were a lad, only women drunk lager and that has been my stance ever since, right?)

Regiment moved to Paderborn in 1977. Armed with O-level German, I took the boys to Zum Braumeister, opposite the camp gates (and nearer to my block than then NAAFI, which it took me three weeks to find as a result). On realising that the Germans drink Pilsener Lager, I was desperate (after all, Newcastle Brown Dog didn't in those days even travel well to Northern Ireland and Tidworth, Hants (now Wilts) as my travels have taught me) not to drink Lager. Unfortunately German Dunkelbier (dark beer) is what they give pregnant women to get their iron count up. There are people still rib me about that one.

A few years ago we had an Aussie contractor returning home. We went to the local pub. He ordered a bottle of Dog for me, with a small glass as demanded. ("Why do you drink Dog out of a small glass?" "Because you do. They even print the instructions on the back of the export model for heathens like you.") At this point a bricky, sat at the bar next to us, turned to him and said, "He's right. Doesn't bother me - I drink lager straight from the bottle." I think he was too shocked by my reply, "Aye, well lager is a woman's drink," to batter me. Or maybe it was my thousand yard stare.

Lager, pet? Nee problem.

I'd just like to say that there is nothing wrong with a dry sherry before dinner. Very satisfying after a crap day in the office. Which is pretty much every day.

Lager: I enjoy most brands of the non "brain damage" strengths - Except Budweiser, which really is pee water.

Newcastle Brown Ale, a fine drink, was developed by my wife's grandfather John Millar who died in 1963; Master Brewer and then Managing Director of Scottish & Newcastle. Something of a genius and a good soldier, he was an officer in the Argylls in the Great War. God Bless Him.

The Club house serves all drinks to all members. You can even get Babycham, but I'd think I'd draw the line at drinking it, I last tried it as a fourteen year old, Christmas 1973. Yuck. Advocaat is even more of a mystery - but Snowballs are still acceptable.

But keep yer mitts off my Custard Creams. Privelege of rank - Politburo rules.

MB

Now look you lot. I used to work for the agony aunt Marjorie Proops (1975-1977) and I still bear the scars. In the course of my day job I also have to manage the snaps for another one of these lovely ladies. To be frank, I'd rather not see HMVF degenerate into a kind of MSN or Tricia Show in Cammo - but who knows which way the HMVF ketch will sail? I don't think Jack's much of a Dr Ruth, anyway - (she's prettier).

Jan, if I were you, I'd avoid the next Ladies Night in the Clubhouse - the beers off, there's only Babycham and Vimto and Exeter City are at home which means no police protection. It clashes with Olympic Tiddlywinks anyway. This brings together a few threads but wholly keeps us off the issue of finding you a Land Rover, which is probably a much safer love match and Landies never leave the seat up.

MB