Magazines - which ones do you get

Great War truck

Out of curiosity, and because the pile of this Months yet to be read magazines is getting higher i was wondering what military related magazines (so Jacks "Gardeners world" and "Radio Times" are to be excluded) do you read. I am feeling i am reaching saturation point and although i carry one to work everyday to read while i work my way through my sandwiches the pile of unread ones is turning into a major trip hazzard, but I also want to make sure that i am not missing anything of interest.

I was recently in foreign parts and picked up issue 276 of the French magazine Militaria which at €6.50 is jolly expensive, but is in fact a very good magazine.

So anyway, these are the ones i subscribe to:

Windscreen

After the Battle

Military Machines International

Classic military Vehicle

Vehicules Militaire

I also read and buy on occasion (sometimes second hand)

Britain at War

Stand too

Poppy and the Owl

Militaria

Army Motors and Supply Line

Old Glory

Heritage Commercial

Charges Utiles

Vintage Spirit

Classic Commercial Vehicles

Classic Plant and Machinery

It is all getting a bit much now and i have had to give up my subscription to 2000AD, but is there anything else that you would reccommend i buy?

Tim (too)

Im the same with magazines Tim!

I get on a regular basis

Windscreen

CMV

MMI

Britain at War

Occasionaly get

Old Glory

Vintage Spirit.

One thing I do get occasionally which you dont is Tractors and Farm Machinery. The classifieds are always worth a look through. Some rare old stuff in the back of that.

I found I was getting sooo far behind with my reading that I let all my subscriptions lapse . Now all I get is CMV & sometimes actually get it read before the next one arrives .

Used to get Old Glory,Practical Classics,Custom Car,Classic Car Monthly,Tractor & Machinery.....oh and the club mags from TSSC & Morris Commercial Club

Guest bertie

dooes any body remember 'MV magazine' that was damn good it actually had tehcnical stuff not just a photo albume all the recent shows. what a shame it isn,t anymore. weather if was brit or US stuff it had some depeth to it. windscreens is ok if you like horses & jeeps.

Hi all,

cmv

mmi

windscreen

britain at war

skirmish

various other mags, bus and coach preservation, flypast, airplane,various model railway mags and whatever takes my fancy when in wh smiths!!!!!

Yes, I remember mv magazine,and also Wheels and Tracks, I still have the postcard sent out to new subscibers from Bart Vanderveen, and my fondest memory is having a comment published in it!!!

All the best

Mark

This was a very good idea, although it might become expensive... :-(

I read:

MMI

CMV

Mud & Snow (norwegian magazine for the historic military vehicle club)

Military Vehicles Magazine (about to run out and won't be renewed!)

Marty

Hi Bertie,

I also had MV Magazine, quite good while it lasted and it had some really detailed articles in it, not glossed over like those around now. I enjoy our club mag, Windscreen as well, what I sadly miss, is Wheels & Tracks. Bart was a mine of information and his magazines are still of great reference use 20+ years on.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Very true Richard.i have loads,people give me a subscription for xmas,good idea.They do pile up tho every time you start to sort them out ,you notice something you never saw and of it goes again.

The only one i dont see on the list i have is Canary World.

Mine are

CMV

Britian at War

Windscreen

Champ World

Jaguar Enthusiast

Crikey who woke you up wheres the pictures of Firepower?

Hi Bertie,

I also had MV Magazine, quite good while it lasted and it had some really detailed articles in it, not glossed over like those around now. I enjoy our club mag, Windscreen as well, what I sadly miss, is Wheels & Tracks. Bart was a mine of information and his magazines are still of great reference use 20+ years on.

Yep,you cant beat the old Wheels and Tracks.Excellent quarterly publication.I was always in I.S.O. books in Waterloo getting mine.Mind you,that was a brilliant bookshop.

Don't know that one..........is about life on Canary Wharf ?

No Richard its about Canarys, do you remember the days when people kept them and goldfinches,we had Yorkshire Rollers.seems a bit cruel when you look back now.:-(Also kept racing pigeons.

No Richard its about Canarys, do you remember the days when people kept them and goldfinches,we had Yorkshire Rollers.seems a bit cruel when you look back now.:-(Also kept racing pigeons.

Oh....obvious really :confused:. Could not see you with a flat cap and stop watch, waiting for the pigeons to race home :)

Oh....obvious really :confused:. Could not see you with a flat cap and stop watch, waiting for the pigeons to race home :)

Your right,no cap as i was only fourteen,thats done it how long before a picyure (oops done a Bertie)turns up of me in a fllat cap .:rofl:

Every month -

MMI

CMV

LRE

LRM

Railway Magazine

Classic Plant and Machinery

Earthmovers

Irish Vintage Scene

plus 4 or 5 others on an ocaissional basis.

Also 6 Stud and EMLRA newsletters.

Most of the subscription ones turn up here in plain wrappers via Swiss or Swedish postal service, good job the postman knows my interests!

Im the same with magazines Tim!

One thing I do get occasionally which you dont is Tractors and Farm Machinery. The classifieds are always worth a look through. Some rare old stuff in the back of that.

Oh yes, i forgot that one. I usually read the TFM classifeds in WHS. I read one copy in the Doctors waiting room and in the classifieds was a WW2 GMC decontamination body (the same one as on page 90 of "Universal Truck"). The magazine was a year out of date and also as i didnt have a GMC i did not pursue it. But that would be something rather unusual to have.

Tim (too)

I am interested that Wheels and Tracks is still thought to have been the best. I agree, i loved it, but i am just wondering what is it that made it so good. Barts knowledge is certainly unequalled, but what parts of Wheels and Tracks should the other magazines aspire to?

Just looking at issue 33 which i have to hand, i note that there is a 10 page article entitled the "DAF/Ford connection". MMI and CMV usually limit articles to just 6 pages in length and this article is in great depth and on a subject that does not leap to the front as being something that anyone knows much about. The same issue has a 7 page article on Argosy which i would think most readers would struggle to identify.

Should CMV and MMI have more in depth and technical articles on things that we know little about (eg - the drive train of the Krup Protze) or do they need to keep to general articles to appeal to the majority of the readership (Jeep differences etc)?

To me the best parts of W & T were the readers forum; Seen, read and heard; Discoveries and Before and After. These would be easy enough for any magazine to do if the readership volunteered this information. But i get the impression that some of these roles have been taken over by the likes of HMVF. For example, i feel no need to write into a magazine to say that we have found an original and unretored WW1 truck if i can do the same thing on this forum in a fraction of the time. So has the internet made this information more accessible therfore reducing the scope for magazines to print the same information.

Discuss.

Tim (too)