aqv33

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
The only reliable thing about that engine was it's ability to break down.:nono:

How many exhaust valve seats did you get through? :n00b:

I'll avoid the stretchy ropes. I was marshalling at an AWDC event, One competitor got stuck so we hitched onto a recovery vehicle using his rope, which was a KERR, at the time they were about £2 each, unfortunatley the scrutineer hadn't paid attention to the state of the bolts on the front hitch. The Kerr stretched and strteched then the hook came off. Sevral pounds weight of metal flying about at sped. No thanks! :shake:

Anyway if you could always tell a vehicle that had been at Peter's Pit, the chalk stayed on for years.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

IT went straight thro the upper tailgate of a range rover and out thro the windscreen.But the chassis it was bolted to was rotten.oh gawd you were there.

IT went straight thro the upper tailgate of a range rover and out thro the windscreen.But the chassis it was bolted to was rotten.oh gawd you were there.

And so was I, and when Bill Allen's pulled off his Jeep and landed a couple of foot in front of me, self and hasty rules were in place then!

You wouldn't have seen me, I was heading for the bottom of the ditch. (Slow maybe, but not stupid)

Hope not it was , much longer ago than I care to want to think, the box Brownie I had probably followed me into the ditch. No kidding it did scare the **** out of me. This one was at Twezeledown or that way if I rembemer. The ban on KERR (Kinetic Energy Recovery Ropes) came in very quickly afterwards, as did snatch recovery.

Hope not it was , much longer ago than I care to want to think, the box Brownie I had probably followed me into the ditch. No kidding it did scare the **** out of me. This one was at Twezeledown or that way if I rembemer. The ban on KERR (Kinetic Energy Recovery Ropes) came in very quickly afterwards, as did snatch recovery.

Did it? in which club?

That was AWDC. Used to do Peter's Pit, then Arena Essex fo a short while. I think of Tweezledown because of race course and the Equestrian Cross Country course they had there. The vehicle in that case was a dune buggy type thing I'm sure.

Edited by Tony B

I've done a fair few recoveries and I would never use KERR,only HD chains. Not connected with vehicles but I once had a steel winch cable snap while tree felling,we had about 6 ton on the winch at the time,cable had been checked beforehand and looked fine. The shackle missed me by about 5 feet.

Matt

Rule one check everything before you start Rule two NEVER stand over a rope cable etc. Rule three ALAWYS have something heavy bettween you and winch. Rule four, throwing a blanket over cable/ winch line etc, when it breacks mealrly gives you a flag to see the end coming. Towing, recovery etc. is an interegal part of MV life. maybe we should have a 'Code of conduct ' for memebers.

Breakages can happen at any time - when I was doing my apprenticeship we were assigned to the vertical milling section for a fortnight. One lad drew a 65mm dia cutter from stores -a Carbide one I think, brand new & straight from the box. Set his machine up to take a 20 thou skim of a piece of mild steel about a foot long. Once the traverse was engaged he hopped up on the steel work bench behind him and lent against the wall. A minute or so later there was a god-awful great bang from his corner of the section so every one shut down and ran over to see what had happened. For no apparent reason the cutter had exploded about a quarter of the way through the cut! This chap was sat rigid with a lump of cutter buried in the wall a fingers width above his head and another lump embedded in the steel worktop about six inches from his wedding tackle. Took four of us to lift him off the bench - still rigid in the sitting position - and put him in a wheel chair the medic brought over. couple of hours later he was back and working again - taught us all an important lesson though regarding checking cutting tools before use!!!

Turned out the box the tool was in had been dropped on delivery but as there was no sign of damage to the box it was put in the racks ready for use. We always used to kid him afterwards about his lucky sit-down 'cos had he been stood watching the traverse as he was supposed to have been there wouldn't have been much left of his head......

Edited by ArtistsRifles

One of our lecturers at college had been a Health & Saftey investigator, he had his 'Chamber of Horrors Photos' one of which was the result of somebody welding a circular saw blade, in that case it didn't miss the head. His lectures were taken very seriously. BA Cranebank also had a case of horrors, one of which back in the days of long hair was a piece of work wth drill still in place and about a foot of hair attached.

Edited by Tony B

One you won't see any images of dates back to the 4th year of my apprenticeship. Someone reported a flaw on a roof panel die - final draw and flash-guttter - so a press tool maker jumped in to dress it. Unfortunately he neither used jacks or shut the power off to the 100 ton press.... I was in the old tool room up the top of Chequers lane when the screaming started.. Every one piled out thinking there had been an accident with a forklift or a coil handler. It was an accident alright - you'd have got even money as to whether there was more blood or vomit on the floor. All that was left of the toolmaker was his boots, cut off at the ankle by the flash-gutter.

Everyone not directly involved was sent home for the afternoon whilst the area was hosed down. Not one of my happiest memories of working there! :-( :-(

• 1 year later...