SAS Series One Land Rover

aqv33

Hi All,

Grateful for any help to authenticate this vehicle I've been offered. I've not yet had the opportunity to view it as it's some distance away and I'd like to be more confident before I take the trouble. It's been rebuilt as a hardtop and theres no obvious military clues left judging from photos.

Description is: Land Rover Series One SAS Cargo FV 110001, Chassis no, 57100350. 1955

Specifically I'd like to know if the FV no. and chassis no.is applicable to the SAS Series one (I can find no reference to it)

Thanks in advance, Peter Herrett

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Hi All,

Grateful for any help to authenticate this vehicle I've been offered. I've not yet had the opportunity to view it as it's some distance away and I'd like to be more confident before I take the trouble. It's been rebuilt as a hardtop and theres no obvious military clues left judging from photos.

Description is: Land Rover Series One SAS Cargo FV 110001, Chassis no, 57100350. 1955

Specifically I'd like to know if the FV no. and chassis no.is applicable to the SAS Series one (I can find no reference to it)

Thanks in advance, Peter Herrett

Have a look thro the Landrover gallery,i am sure i posted a picture of one in there,if not let me know.

Bit confused about FV110001, as FV1100 is Leyland Martian, FV11000 is AEC Militant then the next in the series goes FV11100 for Albion, never heard of FV110001.

So this was produced in 1955, but the FVRDE book of 1956 shows FV18006 Truck, 1/4 Ton, 4x4, CL (Landrover) SAS

I don't know if the description given Land Rover Series One SAS Cargo FV 110001 is presented as an official description. But at the time Series One was not called Series One it was just "Land Rover" as Series Two didn't appear until 1958.

Edited by fv1620

Hi Neil,

I'm pretty certain the PP's did carry the Regimental designation on the dataplates,or at least on the ones I've seen.

I thought the SAS Series 1's were converted for the Regiment after delivery,unlike the Pink Panthers which were designed and built specifically for the Regiment.

Matt.

According to Pat Ware's book Quater ton the designation was FV18006. One vehicle beloning to 21 SAS was converted in April 1955, two more in January 1956 and six in February 1957

Edited by Chrisg

According to Pat Ware's book Quater ton the designation was FV18006. One vehicle beloning to 21st SAS was converted in April 1955, two more in January 1956 and six in February 1957

I would take that with a pinch of salt,i was in RRs yard 25 yrs ago when mike brought a couple in.the two that do the rounds are the same ones.these are ex rare vehicles.i think craddock or one of the other big names has one of them.it shouldnt be to difficult to track it down.Dunsfold Landrovers i am sure would know where it is.

I would take that with a pinch of salt,i was in RRs yard 25 yrs ago when mike brought a couple in.the two that do the rounds are the same ones.these are ex rare vehicles.i think craddock or one of the other big names has one of them.it shouldnt be to difficult to track it down.Dunsfold Landrovers i am sure would know where it is.

Too much salt's bad for you

Too much salt's bad for you

Talking of SAlt when we were greezy rockers a Salt was female company,who knows where that comes from ,i dont,if its rude PM me cheers.

Hi Neil,

I'm pretty certain the PP's did carry the Regimental designation on the dataplates,or at least on the ones I've seen.

I thought the SAS Series 1's were converted for the Regiment after delivery,unlike the Pink Panthers which were designed and built specifically for the Regiment.

From the FVRDE Chertsey book for 1956, listing exhibits in their trade exhibition of British made vehicles;

Truck, 1/4 ton 4x4 C.L. (Land Rover) S.A.S. FV18006

Description; This is a special equipment fitted to a Landrover to meet a War Office requirement..........

From this it would appear that the vehicle was prepared from Land Rover or possibly via a contractor, before issue. The ARN of vehicle in this book is 43BR70

From the FVRDE Chertsey book for 1956, listing exhibits in their trade exhibition of British made vehicles;

Truck, 1/4 ton 4x4 C.L. (Land Rover) S.A.S. FV18006

Description; This is a special equipment fitted to a Landrover to meet a War Office requirement..........

From this it would appear that the vehicle was prepared from Land Rover or possibly via a contractor, before issue. The ARN of vehicle in this book is 43BR70

Thanks Richard - got to admit the data plate was the last thing we ever looked at - GS Landies were there to be used/abused ATSR!! Plus we had S2A in the main with the odd S3 making it's appearance towards the end.

Chris - never put the letters "st", "nd" or "rd" after 21, 22 or 23 - some members both past & present can react adversely to it... :shake: :shake:

Sorted. sorry if i've upset anyone

Not me mate - have no fears there!! :):):)

Some of the guys I used to know though did take a very dim view of that as well as of outsiders who ran the three letters together rather than pronouncing them individually. Had a personnel officer where I used to work who rang up the Adj to complain about the time off 21 were requiring - and wound up wishing he'd never been born. Took 30 min's for the Adj to wind down!! :rofl: :rofl:

Not me mate - have no fears there!! :):):)

Some of the guys I used to know though did take a very dim view of that as well as of outsiders who ran the three letters together rather than pronouncing them individually. Had a personnel officer where I used to work who rang up the Adj to complain about the time off 21 were requiring - and wound up wishing he'd never been born. Took 30 min's for the Adj to wind down!! :rofl: :rofl:

Want to put that in english so we can all have a laugh:confused:

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the above info which is very useful. I should add I live in Thailand ( which means getting info is not easy) and the vehicle I'm looking at (or rather the photos I'm looking at) has been rebuilt as a station wagon with no cbvious miltary clues left except it does have the spring loaded lever type tow hook which was used at the time.

Can anyone come up with applicable chassis nos. and any chance of a photo of a data plate or at least a description and would that include the Army reg, no, ?

When I get this I'll go and give it a good looking over. Who knows it may be genuine it's going cheap and is in really good condition.

Thanks gain.

Peter Herrett

Bit confused about FV110001, as FV1100 is Leyland Martian, FV11000 is AEC Militant then the next in the series goes FV11100 for Albion, never heard of FV110001.

So this was produced in 1955, but the FVRDE book of 1956 shows FV18006 Truck, 1/4 Ton, 4x4, CL (Landrover) SAS

FV18006a.jpg

Thanks all for your help and advice. Having now got a pic of the data plate it turns out to be a 1/4 ton, cargo, CL, 4x4, Rover Mk.3 FV18001.

Pity it's not SAS but very nice all the same, I'll go for it.

Peter Herrett

Be rude not to. Unadulterated Series ones are getting rare. There was a craze for sticking V8's etc in them.

Didn't arf improve 'em too, gear box rebuild every 10,00 mls.

I had a load of T shirts made

V8 Series One

AN 8 MAKES 'EM GREAT!"

Didn't arf improve 'em too, gear box rebuild every 10,00 mls.

I had a load of T shirts made

V8 Series One

AN 8 MAKES 'EM GREAT!"

Vandal !!!!!!!!! Any way the old 2.6 straight 6 is a lot more reliable especially in the wet sections.