Ferret Owners

Marmite!!

Hi,

I have started a Frappr map for Ferret owners, you can put yours on the map here http://www.frappr.com/ferretsaroundtheworld

When posting photos on the map keep the file size small or they will no show up.

Aslo if anyone else wants to start a Frappr Map for their MV's here's the link http://www.frappr.com/?a=creategroup

Hi,

I have started a Frappr map for Ferret owners, you can put yours on the map here http://www.frappr.com/ferretsaroundtheworld

When posting photos on the map keep the file size small or they will no show up.

Aslo if anyone else wants to start a Frappr Map for their MV's here's the link http://www.frappr.com/?a=creategroup

This looks a pretty smart idea Lee..................Doh, looks like something else that I have to do :oops: :evil: :twisted:

There's one here: http://www.frappr.com/stalwartowners for owners of Stlawarts - only got 3 entries right now though....

This one should make you cry http://www.frappr.com/stalwartowners/photo/843529 :cry:

Indeed - there's me dying to get hold of one and then theres all these just sitting there :cry: :cry: :cry: It just ain't fair!!!

Note though that they've all had the swim-boards removed by cutting the hinges off ('cos the bottom half of the hinges is still welded to the hull!!)

Theres a stalwart sitting in a field on my sons way to school, he really likes it, its sat there something like 14 years and has only been moved once or twice in all that time, the story is, that the bloke who owns it used it to get to his little cottage down the river, but he actually crashed it into some rocks underwater and broke one of the wheel stations, he done a right bodge-job fixing it and then carried on driving it around like it. And ever since, its sat ther doing absolutely nothing. I went and offered him some money for it but he just wouldn't take it. It's a shame really because its an early Mk1 still with full swim gear and its just about worth saving, but in a few years time it will be beyond redemption and you'd probably spend more money on it than what you'd get for it. According to my son it has a couple of inches of water in the bottom of the engine bay and through the vents at the back of the cab, which I know isn't going to do it any good! It's just a shame that some people are like this, they're just making themselves lose money on it. oh well the wifes calling me now

thanks, Mick

Yes - this is the problem with storing a Stalwart outddors and without any cover over the whole vehicle. The air intake is immediately behind the cab, full width by 6 to 8 inches wide and feeds straight into the hull and onto the fuel and oil tanks. Air outlet between the two rear tailgates feeds straight down onto what would normally be the front of the engine and the radiators. A few years of rainwater collection at these points starts equalling heft bills - UNLESS - the hull bilge plugs are out and allowing it to drain away.....

Can you get a crafy look at the Mk 1 to see of the bilge plugs are undone?? If they are then you're in with a fighting chance; if not then look elsewhere.... Wheel stations aren't that hard to fix (so I'm told by those who know), it's just the sheer size of the parts involved and the complexity of the seals and Tracta shafts/joins.

Getting back onto the Ferret s of the ooriginal topic - there's a Mk 2 on Milweb today, "Unrestored, stuck engine, very good rebuild project, most parts present. Pre 1960" - no price given if anyones interested!

Hi Neil,

I had a look at the stolly and I'm sorry to say that no, the bilge pumps are not undone, I got my son to get in the back and see what state that beast of a motor was in under those plates, and he is stolly-knowledge extroadinnaire, he said that there was a couple of inches of green water in the bottom of the engine bay and also mentioned that the drive joints for the swim gear connected to the PTO were still there, such a shame to see it sit there and slowly rot away, when I talked to the owner about it though he also mentioned that it had a growning gearbox, I was trying to think what it would cost you to restore it the other day, we don't know if the engines seized so lets say £1000 for a new motor, £1000 for a new gearbox, £300? for a new wheel station, and the other thing I didn't mention, the tyres are absolutely knackered, so lets say six new tyres at £150 each, another £900 to £1000 pounds. then £700 for other parts, and of course the £1500 you actually pay for the vehicle the grand total=£5500 astronomical! Wouldn't you much rather pay £5500 for a decent stolly that you can just go straight out and enjoy, or go through hours of tedious work,(from what i here stollies are a pig of a vehicle to work on.) Maybe I will get up there armed with the spanner and socket set and undo those bilge pumps, its just its on someones land and I wouldn't say that they like us going on their land!

Regards, Mick.

Mick,

Not sure about the gear box - but a B81 engine in running order went on eBay recently for £280. C&C Military Services have a 40' container of Stalwart parts up for sale as they are moving to new premises - inside the container are:

engines, gearboxes, transfer boxes, dowty drives, air packs, swim gear, bevel boxes, drive shafts, wheels, radiators, clutch cylinders, brake cylinders, master switch boxes plus assorted CES equipment etc etc to be disposed of. Mostly Mk 2 parts but some Mk 1 parts in there.

I was told about between £50 to £200 to fix a wheel station depending on whats wrong with it (i.e. tracta joint, bevel box or?? )

Working on that basis the bare bones for this one would be £300 for an engine, assume £300 again for the box (rounded up values) and £600 for tyes as I've seen these advertised for £100 each making £900 plus a worst case cost of £200 for a wheel station gives £1100.

Go with your £700 for miscellaneous other parts as the eelctrics will need a complete overhaul as will the hydraulics inc. the master cylinders and brakes gives £1800 and add tothis £1500 for the vehicle and we're up to £3300 if my maths is right. Still a lot of money but it's at the point where the vehicle is still saveable - just. Much longer left there and she'll only be fit for whatever spares have survived..... Groaning gearbox might just be due to lack of oil and a drain and refill operation mgiht be all thats needed. Left in the damp though it's odds on, unless the pedal was secured in the down position using the clamp in the cabin, that the multi-plate clutch will have got well & truly stuck together and be a mammoth task to release.

The other big question is what state is the sheet metal work in inside the cab and on the drop-gates and air intakes. IIRC the hull decking is aluminium as are the bracing struts in the hull itself so they should be OK.

Can you not suggest to the owner that either he or yourself undo the hull drain plugs and let that water out?? Else his "investment" is going to be worthless very soon.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neil,

I've approached the owner twice before and asked him what he's going to do with it and he practically shrugged his shoulders at me. I am surprised that the land-owners have not got annoyed with it standing there for the past 15-20 years. Theres all old mowers and pallets piled around it and metal leaning up against it. And a tree starting to grow beside it. This has made the side go green with moss. He's 'investment' I think is very much going to be worthless soon as you say Neil. When I approached him about 3 years ago he did say he would get it 'running'.

I still think that 'running' is a lot different to 'restoring'. The cab looks OK according to the son (he knows a lot more than me about these vehicles), this is looking through the window though, all the seats are ripped to shreds and there is coke bottles scattered all over the cab. the hull seems to be in good order but on the right side of the cab the metalwork feels a bit thin. The drop-sides look OK. No rusting through at all. It still can be saved but now I've learnt that the intake at the rear of the cab leads to the fuel and oil tanks that does disappoint me, rust is going to eat it inside and out. And another very odd thing I can't really work out. The top of the exhaust is basically sliced off at an angle. How could something do that?

Cheers, Mick.

Mick,

Biggest worry from what you say is the rust on the outer hull sides. This can be plated and repaired - at a cost though as the welds will need to be 100% water tight.

Water into the hull via the air inlet and outlet grilles may not be an issue as, like all military machines they tend to disperse oil all over the insides of the lower hull. Other biggy is going to be the seals on those drop sides. Almost impossible to source new now so if you wanted it to be a swimmer that would be worth looking at.

The exhaust shoudl come up in the water tight box vertically ans make a 90 deg exit to the rear under a wire cage cover - if it's sliced off at an angle then that is human intervention :cry: Maybe the current owner wanted a "sporty" look ????? God knows why but.......

Can't be long before the local council start taking an interest in the jumk heap (hint there..)? If so - maybe you could do a deal with their scrap man to take it away?????

Hi Neil,

I really would buy it if the money was right and I had the time and resources, If I had a large shed, a spray gun, a couple of buddies to help me honestly I would. But I'm afraid that she's going to have to stay sitting in the field. My son says we she just go and shoot the owner :twisted: but things are not like that. All I can really do is try and persuade him to do something with it himself. Or maybe someone else with an interest for military vehicles will take an interest and rescue it from total destruction.

cheers, Mick.