Chinook

Degsy

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Anybody know the lift capacity of a Chinook and the weight of a Sea King?

No mate but i did see the picture was it for real.

No mate but i did see the picture was it for real.

Yes, the Sea King developed a problem when attempting a rescue in Snowdonia on Saturday and landed at Nant Peris. The Chinook lifted it out on Monday, and presumably returned it to Valley for repairs.The BBC report stated that the Chinook could cope with the lift quite easily as its capacity was 11,000kgs, several of us were discussing it today and wondered if the reporter was correct.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

106302.jpg

This one is not crashing but towing a sledge,it did so for a very long way,impressive.

This one is not crashing but towing a sledge,it did so for a very long way,impressive.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but thats not a Chinook - it has a tricycle under carriage and the rear rotor/engine gousing looks too tall.

If anything I would have said it was something like a CH-46 Sea Knight, the predecessor of the Chinook???

CH-46%20Sea%20Knight.jpg

Image copyright the USMC Picture Gallery

yep this one is definitely a ch-46 sea knight. As used by usmc.

correct me if i'm wrong - but thats not a chinook - it has a tricycle under carriage and the rear rotor/engine gousing looks too tall.

If anything i would have said it was something like a ch-46 sea knight, the predecessor of the chinook???

ch-46%20sea%20knight.jpg

image copyright the usmc picture gallery

I think the days of the Chinook may be numbered.It seems that heavy lift capability is moving towards the V22 Osprey.The HH53 has been mostly withdrawn from service(a much larger chopper than the Chinook)and replaced with the Osprey.The last HH53,s operating from Mildenhall were withdrawn in November,and only one wing remains,based in Tampa.Some people may remember the headlines from last year,when a pair of Ospreys made an unsheduled flight over south london en-route to Farnborough.

Looking in the books, the CH46 Boeing-Vertol CH46 Sea knight.who also built the original CH47 Chinnok. The Sea Knight, not suprisingly was the 'Maranised ' design for the USMC and Naval use. Not bad seeing as Chinook was the design winner of the 'Battle feild Mobility Helicopter' competion in 1959!

I've also seen Sea Kings lifting damaged Lynks back to Portland. Really how else would you do it?

(info David Wragg's Helicopters at War, a pictorial history ISBN: 0 7090 0858 9 )

Agree with you Dave, Wook , Wook, Wook.

Edited by Tony B

There always flying over mine, you name it it flys over chopers, jets, hercs.

we get hercs doing drops over kevil airfield all the time always flying directly over the house b***** things.

Had 15 jets go over yesterday all in a group dont know what they were, but pretty low.

There always flying over mine, you name it it flys over chopers, jets, hercs.

we get hercs doing drops over kevil airfield all the time always flying directly over the house b***** things.

Had 15 jets go over yesterday all in a group dont know what they were, but pretty low.

Get lots of stuff whizzing around here mainly Tornados, i'd like to see more Hercy birds though, tremendous airplane spent alot of time on those!

Dont usually see Chinooks but hear them going through the valley at low level at night in numbers, given away by their distinctive Wokka Wokka noise, which is why they get nicknamed Wokka Wokka's!

Seen CH53 Super Stallions out in Bahrain, they are one big mother of a helicopter!