Autocar U-7144T

N.O.S.

While Jack is still high from his flight over the beaches, I'll quietly sneak in a couple of pics of a recently acquired set of wheels - been after this one for 7 years........

Restored in mid '90s and fitted with Scania diesel, she has that lovely patina of a well-used truck, and is in great condition. Hope to get her out and about this year.

While searching for info on planes named after the Autocar :-D I found two B17s, one of which was with 96BG at Snetterton Heath, the other served with 390BG.

A photograph of the96BG plane shows not yellow painted bombs, but 5 yellow crawling babies with a note that 5 babies were deliverd on board :confused: I'm awaiting an explanation from the 96BG historian, and will advise in due course.

Blonde Bombshell 1.JPG

Blode Bomshell 2.JPG

BlondeBombshell 48323 390BG.jpg

The Blonde Bombshell.jpg

what a stunning looking truck and congratulations NOS:-D that is a real beaut. Looks like I am going to have to pick your brains and you will have to tell more about it and more pictures please.

........Joris, I know we discussed this in the staff room this morning but no need to ban NOS now - I have changed my mind.:coffee:

I have a picture of it in the Lamanva auction catalogue. I wonder what the guide price was? Probably about £1,800. I will see if i can dig it out this weekend.

I saw it at a Devon show about 15 years ago and we parked up our Autocar alongside. I wonder if Father has a picture of it. I understand that the cab had to be raised by a couple of inches to get the diesel in, although looking at it, it was not obvious. I did like the idea of being able to lock the doors open a few inches to get a draft through the cab. Seen the same things done by loggers in Washington. A great looking truck. Enjoy!

Tim (too)

I saw it at a Devon show about 15 years ago and we parked up our Autocar alongside. I wonder if Father has a picture of it. I understand that the cab had to be raised by a couple of inches to get the diesel in, although looking at it, it was not obvious.

Tim (too)

Maybe thats why it sits on slightly oversized tyres, to disguise that fact? Or are they just go-faster sized tyres?

This is how the Autocar looked at Lamanva in 1993:

Autocar.jpg

The blurb says:

This tractor unit is fitted with an Austin 5th wheel coupling and canvas covered cab together with a dummy riflr, two jerry cans and two spare wheels. The overall appearance is good, the engine is running and there is a plate stating rebuilt by the Autocar Co. Ardmore Penn USA June 1953. Filmwork included Yanks, hannover Street, Empire of the Sun and Top Secret.

Estimate £1,500 to £2,500 ( Jack you missed out here)

I dont rememebr seeing it in any of those films. I will watch them all tonight (well maybe over the next few months)

Tim (too)

96 BG B17 "Blonde Bombshell"?

Just discovered that the 96 BG pane was not called 'Blonde Bombshell' as stated in the 455th website.....

It was in fact 'The Blonde Bomber'. Here is a pic of it.

The babies (one of which is a darker colour) were simply the crew's way of recording missions - nobody seems to know why they chose babies and not bombs, perhaps they were poking fun at themselves for being a 'rookie' crew. The reason for the different coloured baby has also been lost in the mists of time........

Here is some additional information kindly provided by the 96BG historian - many thanks.

Serial number 42-30872. code AW-R. 337th Squadron

Assigned 96th on 9th Sept. 1943

Missing in Action 16th December 1943. mission to Bremen.

Pilot Lt. Lewis Kerrick. All crew KIA.

It collided with 42-31113 "Zilch" from the 339th Squadron.

Pilot Capt. Harold Mott. All crew KIA

From a report it states that enemy fighters shot an engine off Capt Mott's aircraft which fell onto the wing of Blonde Bomber. Both aircraft then came together and fell into the sea due west of Terschilling Island, Holland.

Both crews are listed on the Wall of the Missing in the American Cemetery at Margraten Holland.

Nose art is of a pin up girl in a bathing suit and there is a cloud painted just behind her with the autograph of Betty Grable, the famous film star on the cloud..

There are 9 missions recorded.

96BG Blonde Bomber.jpg

NOS.

Stunning looking truck you have there - well done mate. Will have to crawl over it when we meet. Are you going to W+P.

Markheliops

Thanks Mark. Yes, but no vehicle I'm afraid. Just working on some "mission stickers" for your WLF, glad you're up and guzzling again :cool2:

In the late 70ts their where 4 AUTOCARS U5044 Tractor units & 1U2044 OIL SERVICE TRUCK .In a barn just north of ROMFORD .I Think they where sold to sombody in the west country bought them ? .Two of the tractor where restorable as was the oil truck .Any body know where they are ? T CORBIN

• 2 months later...

Everyone of HMVF - Jack has somehow got hold of the Tankgrad Autocar Manual. If he finds their Autocar Tailer companion to it, heavens knows how bad he will get :shocked: Just look what happened to me....

Can someone nearby get around to Jack's place pronto and administer a Ferret Technical Manual or similar anaesthetic?