Autocar U-7144T

N.O.S.

Everyone of HMVF - Jack has somehow got hold of the Tankgrad Autocar Manual. If he finds their Autocar Tailer companion to it, heavens knows how bad he will get :shocked: Just look what happened to me....

Can someone nearby get around to Jack's place pronto and administer a Ferret Technical Manual or similar anaesthetic?

Can take a Stalwart one around - that way if the words and pictures fail to sooth and calm the troubled mind of Fearless Leader - we can hit him over the head with it instead (it ain't a small book folks!!!) and achieve calm and tranquillity that way.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
In the late 70ts their where 4 AUTOCARS U5044 Tractor units & 1U2044 OIL SERVICE TRUCK .In a barn just north of ROMFORD .I Think they where sold to sombody in the west country bought them ? .Two of the tractor where restorable as was the oil truck .Any body know where they are ? T CORBIN

Funny how you trip over things when you are not looking - just found this in the MVT's Windscreen magazine (Sept 1988), from the Avon region:

"...Richard Jefferies went to see a farmer in Exxes to buy a trailer for his 5-ton Autocar, as it turned out he not only bought this trailer, but 5 more 2 1/2-ton Autocars and a draw bar trailer.

The vehicles are: 1 Autocar Tanker 2 1/2-ton 4x4 660 gallon U2044 mobile oil service facilities for US Air Force, and 4 Autocar tractor units 2 1/2-ton 4x4 U-4144T.

The tanker is to be restored by Richard's son, Jason, who estimates about two years work will be required. The vehicle is basically sound, but all the side lockers are missing and will have to be fabricated. At least two of the tractor units will be restored, one of the units still has the original markings. This history of these vehicles starts from 1947 when they were brought from the Ruddington sales by a farmer. The tanker was used for lime spreading, one tractor unit was used for transporting a priestman cub with dragline. The remaining three tractor units were used for spares. These vehicles were last used in 1957 and have been parked in a barn since then."

I recall seeing the tanker at an MVT show at Weston-Super-Mare around this time.

Perhaps Jason is the one to ask?

By the way, Runflat, nice piece of detective work! I only discovered this info at W+P and couldn't report the info as I did not have his permission to reveal their whereabouts.

And last week I stood by a pile of about 100 N.O.S. 12.00 x 20 Runflats!!!! They've got a bit "dry" but the guy reckons some in the middle should be OK?

I well remember Richard Jefferies from the (then) Avon Area of the MVT chatting to me about his collection of Autocar vehicles and projects in the early 90's. It certainly isnt a secret as far as I'm aware, as its widely known he's owned them for many years.

I also remember a visit to Chris Goldings yard at Frampton Cottrell near Bristol in 1989 (to purchase a GMC oil filter!) where there was an International Harvester (similar design to the Autocar/Federal that we are discussing here) painted in desert tan colours. I do have a picture from that day - somewhere about! It was owned by Chris i believe, then another guy from that area with a big bushy beard. It was repainted green and turned up at one of the Castle Combe Circuit shows in either 1990 or 1991. I've never seen the vehicle since.

Richard and Jason Jefferies were both at 'Route to Victory' in May this year. Richard is more than approachable for any discussions about these types of vehicles, although I doubt he will want to part with much after all these years - especially with his son active in the hobbie with a tidy Diamond T 981 on the show circuit.

• 4 months later...
A WWII period pic of a Autocar with a VERY-------> long ----->trailer

Men transporting freight by a trailer truck. Location: India Date taken: 1943 Photographer: William Vandivert

India1943.jpg

whoa, very cool!! How long do you suspect that trailer is?

• 1 year later...