The jinx is spreading.....

ArtistsRifles

After all the grief with the OT I thought the rest of life was going to be easy - WRONG!! :cry:

That damned jinx has spread - the price of getting the OT was a new kitchen for the missus. Old one was stripped out over a week ago and we've been living on take-ways since. Fitters turned up today to install the new one (currently in 65 boxes of varying dimensions) only to turn around and say the consumer unit should have been changed for a R.C.D. one and the gas feed pipes to the oven and hob should have been changed from 15mm to 22mm to suit new standards. And left.

Good news is a sparky and a gas fitter are coming tomorrow, bad news is the next free slot in the kitchen fitters book is a week away! :cry: :cry:

Right now the gaff looks like a bombs gone off, narrow paths between boxes of stuff everywhere making most operations reminiscent of an assault course, and I'm sick of take-away grub!!! This jinx is gonna get where the sun don't shine if I ever get my hands on it!!!! :argh:

Neil. You're probably better off than you think. The builders came here in April & they are still here or I should say they are not here, which is more to the point & half the property is uninhabitable. Forgot to say that was April 2007.:argh::argh::argh::argh:

Edited by fv1620

Clive, don't know if the laws changed but if builders left a job for a certain length of time you could sack them without having to pay and bring in another firm to finish the work. I think it was either 10 or 14 days and we did it some years ago.

I sympathise! We had a new kitchen fitted a few weeks ago after waiting for 2 months for it and many wranglings with a certain store! Our kitchen cost us, the most expensive quartz worktops and the most expensive kitchen units in the place. Not only that but on saying that I would do the tiling, Mrs W chose the most expensive and s*****g awkward tiles to fit and grout. The kitchen took a week to fit, and Ive got a 2 year old and a 3 month old to feed.....you have my sympathies...

Neil I'm sure it'll be nice in the end. But don't assume that with a fancy kitchen that the food will taste any better!

Thats alright Clive - the wife is a pretty good cook whatever she's cooking on/in!! Probably too good hence the "small" problem with the weight I have!! :)

OK - you couldn't make this up if you were writing a top class comedy show!! Sparky turned up to replace the consumer (fuse) box - turns out he has to fit two now under curent regs, one in the kitchen as well. No way of running the cable under the floor as the kitchen is an extension so the rear half of the living room is solid concrete. Only option is to run the cable on the outside of the house. So he drills his holes and gets on with it. Gas fitter arrived a bit later - he too has to run his pipework along the outside of the house so goes outside whislt the sparky is working inside to finish off. First he drills though into the kitchen and sets up the connections there. Then he comes back and, using the sparkys hole as a guide drills the hole for his pipe. Drill breaks through the wall - straight into the sparkys backside who's just got down to look at earthing the gas meter !!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now we have the gas installation all finsihed but the sparky has to come back when he's patched up and finish earthing the gas meter and replacing the flooring!!

Morecombe and Wise couldn't have done it better.. :cry: :cry:

I feel for you mate, same sort of thing happened when getting new bolier fitted, existing pipes wrong size and in wrong place, hole made for flue pipe put in the wrong place and too small, earth fitted to a PLASTIC pipe.

you have my total sympathy.

Bazz.

Neil.

That sounds peculiar as I thought there should be a sticker to say two different wiring standards were in use with the CU. I'd be tempted to ring the IET (used to be IEE) and check that this is a correct interpretation of the regs. The number is 01438 765599 for wiring regulations technical queries.

While I'm not an electrician, I do have to use the wiring regs as part of some specifications. I've had some bad experiences with electricians having misinterpreted the regs, so if it sounds wrong its usually worth checking with the source. That said a kitchen has special requirements (if I understand correctly), and I've never had to install any comms kit in a kitchen, so this may just be outside of my experience.

Worth checking as it sounds like an expensive job, and I cant think of any technical reason why two CU's would be needed.

Hi Lauren,

Not too bothered to be honest as the cost is being absorbed by the firm fitting the kitchen - their surveyor missed these details so apparently they say it's down to them! And I'm not argueing!!

Only bit that worries me is they say they have to replace the ring main in the kitchen - and all the walls have just been replastered & painted so how they intend doing this is anyones guess!! :shocked: :shocked:

Ah well, if you're not paying then it may be just as well to let them get on with it so it gets done as fast as possible.

I have hit problems with ring mains before, so I can comiserate :(

Now I'll shut up with the techie stuff and get back to vehicles ;)

Think this is all due to the new (and yet more complicated) regs which have just come in - or do in July so anything done now has to comply - and apply particularly to kitchen & bathrooms . You don't want to know what's involved or the horrendous additional costs it's going to create . Our electrical contractor explained it all to us recently & I still don't follow it in detail as yet .

Dang , sure sounds like they are having Fun !! Are you sure this is not a episode for the British version of funniest home video's?

Mods - do you think we should have a US filter on some of these posts, as I'm worried they'll start thinking our comedy shows are in fact real-life documentaries.......