Has Anyone tried any Heavy Vehicle Recovery Services?

Richard Grosvenor

Hi Richard,

Have heard now that the ABRO at Warminister is all but closed down. Did you get to play with all different types of vehicles, when I went round the one at Warminster, it seemed that it was a dedicated team that rebuilt the Drops.

Hi Dougy,

I was lucky, over the 22 years with them, I covered just about every type of equipment they had. From some WW2 era vehicles right through to the DROPS. Wheeled and tracked armour, heavy plant, B vehicles, also RAF crash tenders. Got some good memories and loads of experience. Yes, we always made sure of a cabby !

Richard

Neil,

You probably wouldn't want to drive the Stalwart too far on the motorways. Especially with no brakedown cover. The police like to get broken down vehicles moved as quickly as possible, if you can't shift it in a given time frame they'll do it and send you the bill. ££££

Also where are you going to go to unwind the transmission? I take my Ferret over kurbs and over the grass at motorway service stations when nobody is looking, quite easy with a small Mk1 Ferret, but I doubt you'd get away with it in a Stalwart!

I also only drive it on motorways where I have to, at times where there is least traffic. I have driven to Beltring (220 miles) overnight, with plenty of stops. We did not brake down, but lost all lighting going over the Dartford crossing. Luckily it was 6am and the sun had just come up.

Chris

Chris,

Funnily enough - Beltinge is likely the only place it would ever go on a motorway - the M25 - long enough to cross the river. Then the A roads from the Kent side on.

I'm told by those who already own the beasties that a windy A road is much better for them than the dead straight (comparatively) motorways.

As I live in Dagenham and the vehicle will be stored somwhere nearby places like Coalhouse Fort or the Powder Mills (or anything else North) of the river and East of London can be reached via A roads too. Anywhere further afield would be on the back of a low-loader. Again Beltinge would be the furthest I would drive (at 2 mpg it's not cost effective beyond this...)

As I live in Dagenham and the vehicle will be stored somwhere nearby places like Coalhouse Fort or the Powder Mills

Neil,

I would forget Coalhouse Fort for storage as a Saladin/Saracen only just fits through the gate both being 2.54m wide the Stalwart if I'm correct is 2.62m, it would leave you with hardly any clearance & I think the people at the C.F.P. like their gates where they are.

As far as I'm aware there's no vehicle storage at the Gunpowder Mills, I'm sure Rapier Rob will be able to answer this one though, over to you Rob..

Storage, ah if only the gunpowder mills allowed storage i'd have lots more toys!

No is the straight answer, as access is one problem (they don't like too many people knowing the gate codes) and another is the security aspect.

We have on site security, but we have no buildings secure enough to hold vehicles.

(well, we do but english heritage won't let us make them secure)

Of course if any of this changes you will be the first to know.....Just follow the Bedford MJ disappearing into the trees :D

Think we have a slight misunderstanding here!!!

What I meant was it will be stored on a location close enough to Coal House or the Powder mills to make driving it there viable as opposed to getting it on a low-loader!!!

Not that it would actually be stored there!!!

Initially - unless something better presents it self I'm going to ry and get it on the same place we store our caravan but this will mean out in the open. Ideally I'm going to be looking for somewhere undercover with power and lighting t least.

I was driving the Ferret across the Cotswolds when it broke down, I made it as far as a petrol station who kindly spent 1 hour phoning round recovery companies before we found one in Swindon who would sent the best sized vehicle for recovery (ie a 16 tonner as opposed to a full low load rig). Cost me £400 to be recovered back to London

Morale of story - i now have the number of a firm local to me in London offering 24hr service and i carry the Swindon niumber just in case too.

I will be investigating the Footman James service also this year as i have heard good things about it - but Roadsure guarentee to undercut FJ's insurance rates so you have to conside the total costs versus piece of mind of the get you home cover

Going back tot he original theme for a mo' - does anyone know if this lot - http://www.h-c-r.co.uk - do a flatbed recovery service or is it just a suspended or fixed tow??

If they don't - anyone know a firm who does??

Reason for asking is the Alvis 6 wheelers - esp. the Stalwart - aren't meant to be towed more than 2 or 3 miles max as damage is done to the hubs, BB's etc due to lack of lubrication!!! They need to have the engine running and the gearbox/transfer box engaged to get the oil going through them.

Right!! FINALLY got a letter via snail-mail today with membership application forms enclsed BUT no answer to the critical question of just how they recover the vehicles!!!! This is not looking good for ex-miliraty units....

As regards the Footman james vs Roadsure question - I just got a quote from Roadsure of £167 for a Stalwart kept in an RM14 postcode....

If Roadsure are cheaper than Foot man james I shudder to think how much F-J would ask. What I do want to do is ask Aon - who insure my collection of vintage Saabs - if they will cover ex-military vehicles as well...

Hello Neil,

I would definitely get a quote from Footman James.

We have the ZIL, Militant, Ferret, FH70, Land Rover and two trailers insured with them for a grand TOTAL price of £150, fully comp!

Remember, Roadsure are doing a hell of a lot of advertising at the moment and it's the customer who pays for it in the end.

Interesting news about HCR Ltd. I don't know what to make of them really.

Regards

Richard