Antar on Milweb

Mk1 5th wheel Antar for sale if you are brave enough. 2mpg solo:confused:

I drove south down the M6 from Liverpool yesterday evening and just north of Birmingham, and going north, I must have counted at least 15 low loaders carrying vintage commercials that had evidently been at a show in that area.

The chances are that the next owner of this Antar will also have access to a low loader and so won't be too bothered about the Antar's drinking problem. I was impressed by the asking price, £20,000. Is this what tidy Antars are thought to be worth these days ?

I drove south down the M6 from Liverpool yesterday evening and just north of Birmingham, and going north, I must have counted at least 15 low loaders carrying vintage commercials that had evidently been at a show in that area.

The chances are that the next owner of this Antar will also have access to a low loader and so won't be too bothered about the Antar's drinking problem. I was impressed by the asking price, £20,000. Is this what tidy Antars are thought to be worth these days ?

It was the Classic and Vintage Commercial Show at Gaydon yesterday and I managed to call in on my way home from work. Highlight was the superbly restored gas turbine Leyland Ergo 6x4 leaping onto a low loader under it's own power. No MVs except for a couple of S26 Scammells, one as bought and one restored as a civilian ballast tractor.

The other problem with Antar is the width which comes under special types needing 3 days movement notification. There was a diesel version of the 18 litre Meteorite but I suspect the chances of finding one are slim. However if originality is not important I am sure you could fit a Scania V8 14 litre which would at least have a similar exhaust beat.

Thing is, low loaders also have a serious drinking problem, sometimes more so than their load. No - let's keep positive! :n00b:

I certainly didn't mean to sound negative and what you say is quite true but modern artic units fully laden are achieving around 8 - 9 mpg, slightly better than 2 mpg. Also, with regard to my comment about Antar values and before anyone tells me, I do know that things "are worth" what you can get for them.

There was a diesel version of the 18 litre Meteorite but I suspect the chances of finding one are slim.

There's one of these that has been standing for years in the front garden of a house just a few miles from where I live. I don't think this is a find as I'm sure it's well known about in Antar circles. Whenever I speak to the owner he always says, "funny you should call in today because I'm just about to start restoring it this weekend". From further down the hallway his Mrs always says, "you don't won't to buy it do you ?" I think it"s a case of Antar as Garden Ornament.

I'm pleased you had an enjoyable time at the show, they certainly picked the right day weather wise.

I missed Gaydon to go to Coalhouse Fort. In any guise, Gaydon is a great show with a huge range of photogenic lorries. MVs have steadily decreased because there is such a wealth of civvy truckery and we have plenty of our own events. You often find interesting civvy conversions there and I always get sore feet.

Not sure on the price of an Antar - but "not cheap" is a deffo.

The International and Chevy tractor unit really caught my eye...never seen either before.

MB

I certainly didn't mean to sound negative

No, it was a "no" to ME to keep positive - not a dig at you 6x6!

If I had a prized vintage commercial I might be careful about clocking up too many miles so low loader would suit me fine!

But respect to all who guzzle gas and grind gears to be seen out and about on the highway :thumbsup:

Antar and trailer and tank? Sounds like it might be cheaper to tow the Anatar with the tank :rofl:(or Catweazle's champ....)

I wouls say I get about 2.75 MPG on diesel in my one, Now that petrol is significantly cheaper than DERV it may work out cheaper to run a Petrol Antar than a diesel one.

I hope whoever buys it has the courage and determination to drive it on the road to shows...There are too many easy Option low loader exhibits (in my opinion).

If we are preserving Military History, they need to be seen in all their Mighty Stature actually on the road!

If we are preserving Military History, they need to be seen in all their Mighty Stature actually on the road!

I totally agree, but it gets harder every day, a couple of show organizers do sometimes pay appearance monies to larger (non steam) exhibits, for which I am very grateful, but not as a matter of course.

But then we've got these things for our own pleasure and would most likely take them out on the road anyway, so we can't really winge about the cost, and driving round in circles with nowhere to go gets boring.

If whoever buys it takes it out for us to see and hear he has my respect,:bow:impressive lads, these Antar men.

In an earlier post on this thread I didn't really make myself clear when I said I was impressed that £20,000 is being asked for this Antar. What I should have said was that I'm impressed that the seller has the confidence to ask something like what I believe a vehicle like this is worth. Buying an Antar is buying into a very exclusive club and acquiring a vehicle that is likely to be the star, in it's class, at any show it attends. I think £20,000 is a very fair price for one in good condition. Forget all the doom and gloom, there's still plenty of money around, owners of plant or haulage businesses or people who've inherited property, to whom £20,000 is frankly, an insignificant sum.

In my view many HMV's are currently undervalued.

I hope whoever buys it has the courage and determination to drive it on the road to shows...There are too many easy Option low loader exhibits (in my opinion).

Amen.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I hope whoever buys it has the courage and determination to drive it on the road to shows...There are too many easy Option low loader exhibits (in my opinion).If we are preserving Military History, they need to be seen in all their Mighty Stature actually on the road!

I would have to agree with that,allthough would rather see them on a loader than not at all:-D

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
:rofl:(or Catweazle's champ....)

Thought you had got away with that one ,GOING TO TELL YOU ALL FOR THE LAST TIME 850 hp 0.75 mile 4.50 litres x2.till you get close to that stop moaning.:nono::rofl::rofl::rofl:Also you get big boys trousers.

I know - I remember these in service - as I've said before I took my class 1 HGV on an Antar way back then....

I think the love affair started then! :):)

Please elaborate - I can't believe you turned up at your local HGV test station with an Antar + 50/60 ton trailer:confused::confused:

Test "centre" was out Hitchin way. One of the guys was an authorised examiner for HGV class 3, 2 & 1 so tests were done on the road and in the yard. :)

The Antar belonged to 240 (Tank Transporter) Sqdn RCT (VR) -our sister Sqdn in 151 Regt. We had a working arrangement with them - they provided us with the opportunity for Class 1 licensing and we provided them with Class 2 opportunities on our Militants.

It's many, many, years ago now - think mid-Seventies-ish and my memory is somewhat screwed but ISTR we had a Dyson trailer on the back

Again, no secrets, I bought a Mk111a (ballast bodied) in 1988 for £3500 which required quite an extensive restoration lasting 4 years, I sold it about 4 years ago to the earlier mentioned Mervyn Annets for £11500 when his Petrol Antar was sold to Philip Rye at the same time, Philip then purchased a second Petrol Antar from the aformentioned Brian Bailey last year. I understand that he is setting up a museum to comemorate the building of the "Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Scheme" in Australia. I have it on good authority that it cost around £6500 to export each Antar to Australia. Someone else can add it all up but it is serious money !!!