Jeep Buying Tips (MOTs, registration, what to look for)

JonP

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to military vehicles but I'm interested in buying either a wartime jeep (Willys MB/Ford GPW) or a Hotchkiss M201 jeep and I was wondering if anybody is able to give me any pointers/suggestions on what to look out for or bear in mind when looking at jeeps. I've been studying the Jeep Buyers guide so am slightly aware of the differences between the wartime and M201 jeeps.

I've seen a number of adverts for jeeps that state that the vehicle requires UK registration. How difficult is it to register a jeep and what is involved? Are there any potential traps to fall into?

Regarding MOTs, what are the most common failures and/or problems associated with MOT'ing an old jeep.

If buying a jeep that is not UK registered, nor has an MOT, should this ring any alarm bells?

For a first time jeep owner, would you avoid something that required MOT'ing and/or UK registering? What are peoples thoughs on this?

Also are there any tricks/scams that people sometimes pull when selling jeeps? I've had a read through the forum and there are a couple of alarming posts!

How about rust on a jeep - is that fairly straightforward to deal with? If being a jeep that is rusty (and I'm sure most are at least somewhere) what should is minor rust and what would be a major (and costly) problem to fix?

Finally are they any particular things to look out for when buying a jeep? What are the usual things to go wrong in the cause of running a jeep? Are there any parts that are difficult to source?

I'm not particularly car orientated (my car is serviced by the local mechanic) but willing to learn,

Quite a list, but any tips, recommendations and advice most appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Here's my tuppence.

Registering. The first one I registered was fairly straightforward. Get it MOT'd, get an age verification from IMPS, MVT or any other relevent body and go to your local DVLA office. Fill in form V55(I think) and give all paper work in. They booked an appointment for me to bring the Jeep over for an inspection and that was it. Reg number and tax disc given straight away. The one I've just done was even easier. I took all paper work and a selection of photos and it was done there and then.

MOT's. I've never had a problem here. Some MOT centers that don't see vintage vehicles could be problematic. The best thing to do is find a Jeep owner close to you and find out who they use or if you already have a center you use have a chat with them.

Regarding common failures. Have the brakes well adjusted and there shouldn't be a problem. Wheel bearings and ball joints are easy enough to check as are the steering linkages. Likewise check your lights are all OK.

Scams. I guess it would be people advertising a hotchkiss as a wartime jeep. There's nothing wrong with the Hotchkiss, but if you specifically want an MB or GPW then that's what you should get.

Rust. Hat channels, floors and inside the toolboxes are the usuall spots to look at. Everything is repairable and parts are readily available. It just depends how handy you are or how much somebody would charge you to do the work. Keep an eye on Nick Johns' post as he's replacing some hat channels.

I'd recommend going over to G503 forums and having a read through there. Join up and ask any questions. That's what I did and it was a great help. Without it I'd have been stumped on some things.

Hope that's of some use. I'm no expert by the way.

When driving a Jeep keep in mind its not meant to drive top speed for long periods of time.

Check oil, coolant, grease the nipples (no pun).

Keep in mind its unstable when taking corners at high speeds.

Basically using common sense is the best.

Good sense Jeeps, Dodges and the other vehicles of WW2 were designed 65 odd years ago. If treated with respect they will get you there. Driving any such vehicle calls for lost arts of thinking ahead, planning your manouveres and double de clutching. On the plus side they are a joy to drive as they tell you what is going on. Its cheaper to buy good oil and grease than spares.

Steve - Yes, the emails were really helpful so thank again.

Thanks for the comments on MOT and Registration guys. As I've never been involved with registering a vehicle it sounded quite daunting. Are there any cases where they would reject a vehicle for registration, or do all vehicles get registered (if paperwork all present and correct)?

I was at a show yesterday (Sunday) and spoke to two very helpful chaps who were kind enough to spend some time talking about their jeeps, and I was able to get a closer look at the more hidden areas of jeeps. Its given me a better idea of what starting condition to look for in a jeep (vs. my ability to repair/restore bits). We even got a ride in one so my other half is now keen too which is great :-D

Tony B - Good oil and grease? As in castrol gtx or other 'branded' oil rather than unbranded low cost oil?

What oil would people recommend?

Thanks again

Branded and own brand oils, start causing fights at the bar early then! Trouble is modern oils are sometimes 'to good' for old engines. I by choice use Valvoline 20/50, middle priced, has a good reputation. Tesco were doing a very useful oil at 15/40. The important thing is regular oil changes. Original manuals will give you a summer and winter option, single grade oils are still available. What ever vehicle you are thinking of buying, get the dip stick out and have a good look, smell and feel of the oil. It will tell you a lot about the state of the engine. The other thing much neglected is gear and diff oils. Modern EP oils can affect the bronze bushings in some of them. Have a good look round the gear box and diff, hub seals for signs of leackage. Also ask when the axle breathers were last checked, these relive pressure when axle is working. Good old Lithium genral purpose grease serves most purposes, check state of grease nipples as well, they shouldn't be painted over, there not there for show. Have a look to see if there is fresh grease about, to much may be an attempt to quieten something or stick it up. A rubber mallet is useful for tapping anything youyr not sure of. Also a length of broom handle, one end on engine rocker cover, one end to ear, let's you here all sorts of odd noises. Fan belts etc, should be in good nick, a spark gap can also be useful. You are going to be spending a lot of money on a Jeep (WHY?) be chossey.

As was said to me by one of the last remaing Dodge designers' Son, if you've had a heavy night, you can P*** in the tank and it'll run'. Considering the stuff they were built to run on, well modern unleaded is % star Brandy. Point is you don't or shouldn't race the B*****s out of the engine. They are 60+ years old, treat the old girls with respect and everything should be fine.

Oh don't worry - got no intention of that.

One final question (which should have been in my initial batch). When looking at jeeps that have been 'resprayed' is there anything to be cautious of.

I've looked at photographs of some on t'web and although the paint looks lovely and fresh, upon closer inspection there appears to be bubbling or something under the paint. This could just be weld joints but might it be rust? If it is rust what is the consequence of painting over it?

Does that not mean the rust will soon come through anyway (but then I guess the whole section can be rubbed down and repainted then everything should be ok?)

Cheers

Jon

Guest jeepstertim

Re the respray, I wouldn't be worried. .Mine has only done 2000miles since a nut and bolt rebuild but the initial colour was wrong so i am about respray to fix that. Get really familiar with jeeps and the weld V's rust dilemma will go away as you get familiar.

Re registration, I bought mine in Germany with no paperwork (other than a bill of sale). The Jeep is an ITM Willys ( a US wartime jeep rebuilt by the French using canabialised or new parts) hence to age it, dates are by the Chassis ITM number. Andy Carter help explain the history (see http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_man/) and Ron Pier (MVT) provided the expert verification for DVLA. MOT, V5 and tax free tax followed and I use it almost daily for the short commute to work.

Easier than i was expecting and of course no import duties from the EU.

MOTs, find a good one, I can recommend within south dorset.

Edited by jeepstertim
Typo