Douglas Skyraider takes to the air

Jessie The Jeep

I spent yesterday helping out with the test flights of this Douglas Skyraider. This 1/3 scale model is now over half way through its certification flights. It is about 14 feet wingspan and is powered by a 400cc five cylinder radial engine. It had already made four flights at the end of last year, 'though the second two were delayed due to a seized engine.

During the first flight of the day, one of the landing gear legs failed to come down properly, but a hard bounce on the runway with the good leg jolted it free, and a safe landing was made.

Following flights tested the bomb and drop tank releases. On the fourth flight of the day, the engine started running rough and on landing, we discovered a cracked cylinder and oil everywhere! It's under warranty, so a replacement and a spare cylinder are on their way.

The real Skyraider is an impressive piece of kit, able to carry a huge load, and the model is no less impressive. It is hoped the test flights will be completed in May and it will be on the show circuit later this year.

A video of flights 3 and 4 can be seen here - Skyraider Flights

Steve

skyraider1.jpg

skyraider2.jpg

skyraider3.jpg

skyraider4.jpg

skyraider5.jpg

skyraider6.jpg

skyraider7.jpg

skyraider8.jpg

skyraider9.jpg

skyraider10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With a new cylinder fitted, the 'Raider' completed its 12 test flights today so is now allowed to display in public. Here's some pics of the aircraft with the nose art I just finished a few days ago. The owner had to think long and hard about whether to have it painted in todays PC world, but it's authentic, and you have to remember its in the American context of the word.

Later in the day, I had a blast around with my P-47, first time in its new scheme.

Steve

sky1.jpg

sky2.jpg

sky3.jpg

sky4.jpg

sky5.jpg

sky6.jpg

p47a.jpg

p47b.jpg

p47c.jpg

p47d.jpg