Scammell Pioneer Rolling Rebuild

All confused so I went onto google and searched images for cheesehead which all came back looking like this:

cheesehead2.jpg

Then tried typing in 'pan head' but accidentally typed in 'head' on its own and ended up with some very 'unpostable' images indeed!

Might just use allen bolts.... :idea:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

You're doing a fine job by the look of things Madrat. I had to re cab the Explorer. I was lucky enough to get good complete cab frame to replace mine (thanks Alan) but after lots of work prepping and painting the hydraulics blew on the tractor when lifting it into place and buckled it. B****r!!!!:argh: Once straight and refitted I used a wood called Kerowin to redo the floor. It's similar to Ash in it's qualities, but I think a little redder in colour. It's also cheaper, but I think prices have gone up damatically recently due to the Chinese buying up all the wood reserves. I recently looked into the price of Kerowin for the rear floor and body and I think it was going to cost up to £2000 in wood alone! I'm going for a good useable resto rather than concourse, so I will try to find an alternative source. Good luck with the rest of the job-you've already overtaken my progress and I've been at it on and off for 10 years!:bow: Daz

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for the positive comments Daz! Let me know how you get on with a timber supplier. £2000 is a lot of money for a few bits of wood! You could buy a rusty wreck of a scammell for that! :cool2:

I've been so busy of late that I haven't had a chance to work on her, I did get the cab into primer before the window fell apart! That looks fun to reconstruct! :argh:

Unfortunately I won't be looking for a supplier yet as work on the explorer has had to take a back seat whilst the various land rover bits in the garage have to be made into something MOTable by May :sweat:As far as I know most wood yards should be able to get Kerouing (not Kerowin as I thought). The price may well have dropped in the last 6 months. See my answer to your post in the other thread, if you haven't already seen the posts in the Explorer gallery. All the best and Happy new year. Daz

• 1 month later...

Evening folks! Well its been a seriously bust few months and nothing has been done on the Scammell. Finally managed to clear my feet to take a 2 day break from work and get things moving again.

The truck hasn't run since the cab was replaced so the first job was to get her going again, I was going to start by replacing the floor but I decided this was best left until everything mechanical was A1.

I decided to make a temporary seat so I can drive her around :drive: might have made it a little bit higher than I should have but I think its a fine piece of clip on scrapyard engineering! :-D

Scam9.jpg

There were a number of oil leaks which I needed so sort out, one was from the flexi hose that goes to the oil pressure gauge, I took the flexi to bits and plugged the end with solder, this will do til I can find a replacement.

scam1.jpg

Next job was to re-fit the diesel filters in the cab, I cleaned them out which was clearly needing done!

scam3.jpg

Unfortunately when tightening filter number 2 the bolt snapped, it was clear that the water sitting in the filter for the last 15 years had rusted it badly.

scam4.jpg

Unfortunately the assembly had been pressed together and I couldn't get the bits apart. I decided to break the bit out the bottom so I could re-weld the 'bolt' and then welded the assembly back into the cup.

scam5.jpg

Turned out to be a bit neater than I though it would turn out and will do until I can find a replacement.

scam6.jpg

scam7.jpg

Fitted the batteries and she fired up a treat, I spent a load of time cleaning and re-fitting the rather complicated accelerator linkage.

Unfortunately when trying to drive her out the shed I found the clutch was siezed on :argh: I think the pressure washing must have got the clutch wet and it seized up, managed to get her out into the fields so drove around for ages with the clutch pressed in and eventually things free'd off. By the end of the day she was driving great, managed to get into 5th for a time at a dizzy 15mph or so!

scam11.jpg

scam12.jpg

The pigeons had taken a dislike to the scammell so I spent a load of time washing the mess off.

scam8.jpg

Next job is to get everything mechanical working perfectly and then bring her in for paint! Watch this space......

Edited by madrat

Thank you for the update and for this beautiful photograph that is now my screen saver. You've made a really fine job of the cab and it's already easy to see what a gorgeous Scammell you will have when it's finished.

scam11.jpg

The pigeons carpet bombing your Pioneer maybe the same one's that I scared out of the barn where I keep my lorries and were

causing the same mess on my Scammell. They moved out the day I installed a plastic Eagle Owl. I still get the odd bit of bird poo where some bird has flown into the barn, seen the Eagle Owl, and sh*t itself on the way out but nothing to compare with how bad it was before.

Thanks for the kind words guys, it was great to get away from work for a whole 2 days!

They moved out the day I installed a plastic Eagle Owl

That's not the worst idea, not really a problem just now but I won't have so much patience once she is painted!

Quite looking forward to getting things moved on, hopefully building a house in the summer and she would be really useful for pulling trees out etc!

Looking great with the cab on and in primer.

I can see the logic in the rolling restoration when you can take it for a morale boosting spin now and again.

Don't know about a morale boosting spin.......... that looks more like a streak to me................ sixty years old and she's running around in her bra and knickers...... :cool2: :-D :rofl: :rofl:

Don't know about a morale boosting spin.......... that looks more like a streak to me................ sixty years old and she's running around in her bra and knickers...... :cool2: :-D :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I nearly caused an accident by streaking about the place! I was driving down by the main road and a guy in a milk truck did the mother of all double takes then nearly went off the road.

I think it was a double take, could have been that the smoke obscured his view of the road :sweat:

• 2 weeks later...

We had a drop of snow last night, and once we made it down to the shed we took the old girl out for some exercise!

Mrs madrat announced the other day that she wouldn't mind driving an explorer so I though she might as well have a go! I'm uploading a video of her first drive :-D Its taking ages to upload :argh:

Anyhow, on with the pictures. They look great in black+white, sorry for stealing your idea Croc!

scammell104.jpg

scammell106.jpg

scammell105.jpg

scammell101.jpg

Anyhow, on with the pictures. They look great in black+white, sorry for stealing your idea Croc!

Scammell Pioneers always look great!

Those are some good shots. Glad your having fun, but don't forget the rest of the rebuild.

Or are you enjoying the light weight racing pioneer too much :evil: