Scammell Constructor Gallery.

Just to finish off the bit about the propshaft modification, and the subsequent delving into the archives, I have found some 'sketches' ***. God alone knows how they've survived, but I'll convert them to a drawing that can be posted when I get a minute.

More delving produced some old pictures, boith of which are produced below.

The black & white one is the Ford D Series on Matador axles, and the colour one is the US-built one. There was a thriving industry in Los Angeles making camera cranes and camera cars at the time, I remember we had a Ford F250 V8 and a Jeep V8, both made at the time when EGR was popular, they were F reg, so 67-68 built.

The colour shot was en-route to Deventer in Holland, on 'A Bridge Too Far'. Ian was the regular driver, he was the only guy small enough!

The B&W shot is at some stately home or country house on a shoot for an advert. Gary (now deceased) in shirtsleeves was the regular driver for this one.

Both vehicles had four wheel drive, six-wheel on the US chassis (may have been a Reo) and both had electric motor drives and batteries for silent tracking shots. The camera crew at the front of the arm were counterbalanced by lead weights on the 6-wheeler and a moveable balance weight on the 4-wheeler.

Peter

*** Not quite 'fag-packet', but not far off either!

SamMaster1.jpg

SamMighty1.jpg

Edited by listerdiesel

Yes but in terms of vehicles there are only makes and models. The make for all types mentioned is Scammell so I suggest the genus is Scammell.

The models are Junior Constructor, Constructor, Super Constructor. These are all species within the genus Scammell, as are Handyman, Routeman, etc. A junior Constructor is no more closely related to a Super constructor than a handyman is to a routeman.

A Constructor is more closely related to a Mountaineer, than it is to a Super Constructor......

Mike, I think you're missing the point that Constructors are a polytypic species and not a monotypic species. A polytypic species has two or more subspecies, races or more generally speaking, populations that need a separate description. These are separate groups that are clearly distinct from one another and do not generally interbreed (although there may be a relatively narrow hybridization zone), but which would interbreed freely if given the chance to do so. Note that groups which would not interbreed freely, even if brought together such that they had the opportunity to do so, are not subspecies: they are separate species.

However, a monotypic species like the Routeman or the Handyman has no distinct population or races, or rather one race comprising the whole species. Monotypic species can occur in several ways:

All members of the species are very similar and cannot be sensibly divided into biologically significant.

subcategories. The individuals vary considerably but the variation is essentially random and largely meaningless so far as genetic transmission of these variations is concerned.

The variation among individuals is noticeable and follows a pattern, but there are no clear dividing lines among separate groups: they fade imperceptibly into one another. Such clinal variation always indicates substantial gene flow among the apparently separate groups that make up the population(s). Populations that have a steady, substantial gene flow among them are likely to represent a monotypic species even when a fair degree of genetic variation is obvious. In fairness, I've been trying to get my Scammells to breed for ages without much luck so far but I'm not giving up yet.

Mike, I think you're missing the point that Constructors are a polytypic species and not a monotypic species. A polytypic species has two or more subspecies, races or more generally speaking, populations that need a separate description. These are separate groups that are clearly distinct from one another and do not generally interbreed (although there may be a relatively narrow hybridization zone), but which would interbreed freely if given the chance to do so. Note that groups which would not interbreed freely, even if brought together such that they had the opportunity to do so, are not subspecies: they are separate species.

However, a monotypic species like the Routeman or the Handyman has no distinct population or races, or rather one race comprising the whole species. Monotypic species can occur in several ways:

All members of the species are very similar and cannot be sensibly divided into biologically significant.

subcategories. The individuals vary considerably but the variation is essentially random and largely meaningless so far as genetic transmission of these variations is concerned.

The variation among individuals is noticeable and follows a pattern, but there are no clear dividing lines among separate groups: they fade imperceptibly into one another. Such clinal variation always indicates substantial gene flow among the apparently separate groups that make up the population(s). Populations that have a steady, substantial gene flow among them are likely to represent a monotypic species even when a fair degree of genetic variation is obvious. In fairness, I've been trying to get my Scammells to breed for ages without much luck so far but I'm not giving up yet.

Oh! is that so.....Private Benjamin is still a Virgin soldier, so I'll have to be careful not to bring her out when your Scammells are around!

The junior Constructor is a model with 6x4 transmission and 6 speed Scammell gearbox.

Junior was also available with SCG gearbox for the sake of accuracy, I know of at least 2 examples, one of which was owned by the Freer family but which was sadly cut up. I believe parts of the gearbox were used to repair Dave Crouch's Contractor.

Have you worked out who overtook you on the way to GDSF in the Waitrose artic?:D

Junior was also available with SCG gearbox for the sake of accuracy, I know of at least 2 examples, one of which was owned by the Freer family but which was sadly cut up. I believe parts of the gearbox were used to repair Dave Crouch's Contractor.

Have you worked out who overtook you on the way to GDSF in the Waitrose artic?:D

So many people overtook me a Waitrose Artic didn't stand out from the crowd..... Sorry

Maybe this is a case of "The individuals vary considerably but the variation is essentially random and largely meaningless so far as genetic transmission of these variations is concerned."

I'm not absolutely sure this 'photo hasn't already been posted on the forum already so forgive me if it has. Scammell Constructor 20 ton Ballast Tractor while operated by Circus Hoffman shown here at Crayland Park, Wellingborough -August 1980. There's something about this picture that I find very evocative of long, hot, past summers.........wonderful. Lots of other ex MOD stuff in circus mode on the link to where this pix came from. (below the 'photo.)

circus0037.jpg

http://showtrucks.fotopic.net/c1666830.html

Here is a photo of a 30ton constructor at Engineer park, Dhekelia, Cyprus circa 1971. The excavator is a 38 Ruston Bucyrus (38RB) rigged as a crane. We were transporting it to Famagusta docks to unload a container ship as the local dock cranes couldn't lift the weight. Containers were the new thing in those days and it took us all night to unload the ship. Note the green paint in those days which we use to get clean by liberal use of diesel soaked rags! :shocked:

Picture 007.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Catweazle and Kewelde so far, interesting - anyone else thinking of poking fun at the Constructor's abilities?

I'll be happy to accept a pint off both of you should you care to post a retract statement to restore the honour of Scammell, but -

should you force me to publish an axle loading diagram (showing the effect of the homemade underlift unit :cool2:), then I'll be looking to let some tyres down..........

How about we have a poll on this one?

Oh, here is another pic (forum crash victim) of Scammell man Peter Court and his dogs, Sammy and (?) standing in front of "AVONHILL", an ex 30T tractor unit and one of his favourites. He fitted the lift arms off a giant wheel loader as a spade - the biggest spade I've seen!

so happy to see peter court one nicest men i ever met,picture must be very old sammy the dog and used to pal around with my dog and he is dead 10 years mike:kiss::cry:

• 7 months later...
Does anyone recognise this Constructor ? Being rallied in 2004 but where is it now ?

HSL984.jpg

this truck is owned by mark cunningham of derby. owned it since 1999, it was one of the manchester airport constructors. last rallied in 2010. still not finished! correct no is 83 bl 06.

• Thanks 1

This is one of the ex Manchester airport 30t Constructors.

this is my scammell numbers now are HSL984/ 83 bl 06. sometime before i got it. i gradualy removed and repaired all panels, painting them green as i went, unfortunatly the restoration stalled some years ago due to family problems. hope to get back on track soon. any more info would be great. all the best mark.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Ex RAF Constructor on Milweb ! Come on lucky lotto numbers ! :Dhttp://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=60273&cat=4

Have had a word about the old girl.

had gearbox fault now rectified but gearbox needs refitting. Spare box in ballast body, Rolls C6 Turbo, generally tidy.

Tempting, very tempting......:cheesy:

Have had a word about the old girl.

had gearbox fault now rectified but gearbox needs refitting. Spare box in ballast body, Rolls C6 Turbo, generally tidy.

Tempting, very tempting......:cheesy:

Scammell Adoption Department

Patron: 6x6

Chairman: Gritineye

Regional Director North: Croc

Regional Director South: AndyFowler

Dear Plantters,

Further to your application for an additional fostering licence, I am pleased to advise that the SAD Board have determined you be an ideal candidate to foster an ex. RAF Constructor. Your tireless and admirable work with wayward Scammells to date certainly impressed the Board and was instrumental in persuading them of your suitablility to care for yet another vehicle.

Of course the final decision will remain between yourself and Mr. Crouch at the Scammell Rescue Centre - and we acknowledge the enormity of the decision facing you. Fortuantely, Constructors have proved themselves to be adaptable and friendly toward others of the marque, so you should not experience any compatibility issues with your existing fleet.

Do please let us know should you proceed with the adoption.

Yours sincerely,

N.O.S.

Clerk to SAD

Edited by N.O.S.