Scammell Constructor Gallery.

I seem to remember that when Steve Guest showed me the order for what was then his Scammell, the order was for four chassis, but this had been crossed out and the figure two inserted in its place. Are we sure that all four of that contract were actually built.

What he presumably didn't have Mike, was the ammendment to Sales Order showing the other two were re-instated a month or so later and supplied on 14x20 tyres (I posted a scan of it somewhere on the forum, search for Christmas Island)

See post 519 on this thread, and post 3 for a picture of one of this second pair.

I've reproduced here a letter, with captioned pictures, I received from Stan Wass about 10 years ago. In a telephone chat I had with him at about the same time he said a driver had just missed the turning for the Luggershall depot and turned the load over while attempting to turn too sharply. I don't remember him mentioning a second incident.

sc00332e4a.jpg

sc00327ff9.jpg

sc0032f296.jpg

sc0033032e.jpg

sc00331928.jpg

sc0033cfd9.jpg

sc0033e386.jpg

sc003416a8.jpg

sc0035d9de.jpg

sc00350785.jpg

sc00354412.jpg

sc0034c602.jpg

"The first two Centurion tanks produced by the newly opened M.O.S. Leyland Tank factory at Yarlington on route to the Tank Depot at Luggershall near Andover. One didn't quite arrive turning over in the entrance to the Depot. From left to right, Bill Harker sat on mudguard, Bert Bertram and Les Nixon. Bill Harker had just fixed the air assisted steering pipe that burst now and again".

Good stuff there 6x6. I was at the new years day road run with father and the Jeep, I didn't realise it was you, we did watch you move off though, and you're right it is a lovely exhaust note. Bloody cold day. Richard

Richard, I'm very sorry I didn't meet you while I was there. I posted some photographs of the event in the "Meetings log and photobook" section of this forum. I expect there'll be a pix of your jeep on the thread. Cheers.

Here is an extract from the W&T article, the incident being related by Bill Harker:

'Two of the Knottingley transporters were detailed to go to the Leyland Motors tank factory at Farrington, Lancs, which had just gone into production after opening in 1953, pick up the first two Centurion tanks, and convey them to the tank depot at Luggershall near Andover. I was one of the drivers and Bert Bartram the other. We got loaded after a long wait and with our mates set off south.

Our first overnight stop was at Stockbridge and next morning we covered the last 20 miles of the route to Luggershall depot. I had just got my Centurion unloaded when I learned that Bert had overturned his trailer (a '4-bank' 32 wheeler) and tank in the depot entrance which was about 200 yards from the unloading point. The Scammell remained upright and as can be seen (the article has 2 good photos) the only damage done was a broken telegraph pole.

We borrowed another tractor unit from the Army and pulled the trailer back on its wheels, then winched the Centurion back on its tracks and drove it the remaining distance into the depot. After taking another tank from there to Bovington Tank Museum, my mate Colin Moor and I returned to collect the Centurion which had overturned, and this was taken back to Farrington to be inspected for any damage done'.

Edited by N.O.S.

What he presumably didn't have Mike, was the ammendment to Sales Order showing the other two were re-instated a month or so later and supplied on 14x20 tyres (I posted a scan of it somewhere on the forum, search for Christmas Island)

See post 519 on this thread, and post 3 for a picture of one of this second pair.

No When I was concidering buying the Scammell Steve told me it was one of just two.....I don't think he knew.

Here we go 6x6 - best I can get them I'm afraid. The first shows the broken telegraph pole. Note that some pics of M.O.S. outfits show tanks in transit covered by sheeting.

Tony, thank very much indeed for both posting, and doing such an excellent job of cleaning up, these very interesting pictures. This is the first time I've seen these photographs and they're better than I expected. The 'photo below shows the two sheeted trailers on their way to Luggershall shortly before one of them ended up on it's side. Driving lorries around for a living is basically a very simple job but the potential for cock-ups is enormous.

sc00354412-1.jpg

As many of you will know, this is driver Stan Wass in 1955 with one of the M.o.S. Constructors. I think he was only 25 at the time.

sc001a8ea7.jpg

For those that may not know, Stan passed away on the 2nd of November 2008. Rather fittingly the order of service had a picture of Stan in front of the restored Constructor.

For those that may not know, Stan passed away on the 2nd of November 2008. Rather fittingly the order of service had a picture of Stan in front of the restored Constructor.

Sad news. I only had a very brief contact with Stan many years ago. He was charming to chat to and full of amusing stories of his days in heavy haulage.

Some interesting photos on there, Mike. The Frodsham Motors ex MOD 5th wheel tractor went to Kibworth for a short while (it was in typical seaside motor condition :shake:) - I wonder where it is now?

Most Scammells go to Kibworth at some stage Tony, you should know. Even my old 5th wheel tractor spent some time there prior to going back to work in the Market Deeping area - has anyone seen it recently?

Some interesting photos on there, Mike. The Frodsham Motors ex MOD 5th wheel tractor went to Kibworth for a short while (it was in typical seaside motor condition :shake:) - I wonder where it is now?

It is now owned by Peter Doe in Hampshire who also has an Explorer and a Handyman.

John.

It is now owned by Peter Doe in Hampshire who also has an Explorer and a Handyman.

John.

John, I wonder if you might also know the present whereabouts of a 20ton ballast tractor I last saw about 7 years ago in Wrexham when it was being offered for sale. The significant feature of this lorry was that, although it was reasonably up together and original in appearance, the rear end had been modified to carry an enormous concrete block that could be raised and then suddenly dropped. The idea was to crush scrap car bodies with this block in a breakers yard. I've always wondered what happened to this Constructor. Maybe you might know. Sorry, no 'photos or chassis number. Cheers.

John, I wonder if you might also know the present whereabouts of a 20ton ballast tractor I last saw about 7 years ago in Wrexham when it was being offered for sale. The significant feature of this lorry was that, although it was reasonably up together and original in appearance, the rear end had been modified to carry an enormous concrete block that could be raised and then suddenly dropped. The idea was to crush scrap car bodies with this block in a breakers yard. I've always wondered what happened to this Constructor. Maybe you might know. Sorry, no 'photos or chassis number. Cheers.

Sorry, dont know about that one, the only other one which was in the Wrexham area about that time was complete and original and owned by the same guy my M578 and Stormin's Ward La France came off. That went to ...... Kibworth. It has moved on a couple of times since. I will ask around and find out about the one with the concrete block.

John.

Sorry, dont know about that one, the only other one which was in the Wrexham area about that time was complete and original and owned by the same guy my M578 and Stormin's Ward La France came off. That went to ...... Kibworth. It has moved on a couple of times since. I will ask around and find out about the one with the concrete block.

John.

John.

Thank you for your reply.

When I saw this Constructor the front half wasn't too bad having been stored nose first in a shed but with the rear end still sticking out in the open and, consequently, very badly weathered. Although, the concrete block had gone there were very substantial steel plates that had supported it and they were still welded to the chassis and body.

It had been fitted with a diesel and the cab and body were painted with a camouflage, black and matt green, scheme. Parked next to this lorry, in very poor condition, was the correct type of low loader trailer that this ballast tractor would have towed in it's army days. I should say it was located in a yard, reached through a archway, behind a garage in the main street of a small country town close to Wrexham and not actually in Wrexham.

It's a pity I didn't take a camera but I've always thought, with some justification, that bringing out a camera makes you look like a "tyre kicker" in the eyes of the person trying to sell the lorry. As it was, I thought that this Scammell would be difficult to get back to original so I didn't buy it. I wonder if anyone did.

I am shocked that you managed to leave this poor old Scammell in pain as she was Tom ! :cry: I thought you was running a Scammell sanctuary ! Looks like I have got it wrong again !:-D I hope you don't think I am a "tyre kicker " :nono:I just like pictures of Scammells running free in the environment they where born and bred for ! :-D

Edited by AndyFowler