WWII Combat Engineers

abn deuce

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see the Boy's playing with their big shiny toys in the Sandbox !!

I would be remiss if I didn't point out the partition panel was not being used on the CCKW.

see this post for example http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showpost.php?p=121171&postcount=18

Edited by abn deuce
added link

Great to see the Boy's playing with their big shiny toys in the Sandbox !!

I would be remiss if I didn't point out the partition panel was not being used on the CCKW.

see this post for example http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showpost.php?p=121171&postcount=18

I noticed that at the time but didn't say anything to the owner as some people are easily upset and it was being loaded correctly so that the lack of the board wasn't detrimental.

Yes , I understand , your probably right , if they had loaded it wrong they would have learned the hard way , I have seen many period photo's where the troop seat were left on and the partition not used as in the book "The GMC Universal truck " by Boniface & Jeudy in an effort to increase the load carried......

The idea for those who don't know was to have the load self limited by the low sides of the dump body , ie you could only pile so much on the truck before gravity would cause it to slide off known as the angle of repose , if troop seats or side extensions are used yes you can put more on but it will be/can be more than the hoist or truck chassis can support.

There is no hoist frame past the partition just the heavy gauge steel of the sides and one central rib that runs from the partition hinge to the end of the body.

The CCKW 353 H1 or H2 split / banjo was a multi-purpose truck able to do many things , it was an ok dump truck and an ok cargo truck , not is the same league as the much beefer purpose built Diamond T dump truck.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of engineers photos first a Diamond T 972 tipper but what is it towing at first i thought a road roller and am at the moment sitting with that but it seems a strange way to transport one sitting on its centre, unfortunatly thats all that can be seen in the photo. The second is the GMC tippers in the pacific loading crushed coral for use as runway hardcore

com eng1.jpg

com eng2.jpg

They did make and may still produce rollers with mid mounted road wheels to make transport simpler , no need for a trailer.

The second photo is one I ve never seen before showing both the partition being used as well as a wood cover to keep debris out of or off of the frame and drive line a great idea for a dedicated or single use project vehicle .

Think you may have cracked it Deuce, it very similar to your first photo and Gallion roller wheels on most of the 1940s plant featured well perforated end plates. In all the years i served in the plant hire trade we never had any of the rollers as per your photos one company in my early days had two Gallion graders well known restorer John Marchant in the UK still owns a preserved working one

I m sure that there are a number of other roller mfg's with similar systems I simply posted the Galion as it was the first I came across . I m also certain that there are a verity of wheels that could be mounted as long as the weight capacity was correct so the wheels could be the same as mounted on the dump truck or the rest of the operators fleet.

I have no idea what make or model the roller is in your upper posting les freathy perhaps one of the others with set the record straight .

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this the best place to post this . A different type of bridging that I had not seen before . Note the work platform built on top of the water tank .

Us Army Engineers US Army Engineers rebuilding bridges demolished by retreating Germans during WWII. Location: Italy Date taken: 1944 Photographer: Margaret Bourke-White

italy1944bridge.jpg

Very good action shot of clearing debris , note the men standing atop an over turned tank

British and South African Army engineers using bulldozer to clear a road through the utterly devastated town of Cassino, site of hard fighting between Allies & Germans and very heavy Allied bombing. Location: Cassino, Italy Date taken: May 1944 Photographer: Carl Mydans

BritishArmyEngineers3.jpg

second photo same location

British Army Engineers using steam shovels to clear debris from the streets near wrecked tank, the aftermath of heavy bombardment and the long bitter struggle against the Germans for the town. Location: Cassino, Italy Date taken: May 19, 1944 Photographer: George Silk

BritishArmyEngineers2.jpg

British Army Engineers using steam shovels to clear debris from the streets, the aftermath of heavy bombardment and the long bitter struggle against the Germans for the town. Location: Cassino, Italy Date taken: May 19, 1944 Photographer: George Silk

BritishArmyEngineers.jpg

Behind the bulldozer in the first Cassino pic are two trucks with what appears to be compressors in the load bed but what make are the trucks?

The tippers are Dodge D60's and the shovels captioned as steam driven look like Rustons and are unlikely to be steam driven.