WWII Combat Engineers

abn deuce

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

389297534_fc07b91a2d.jpg

An American bulldozer of a unit of Engineer helps of the soldiers to clear the remainders of the harbour station of Cherbourg. Notice that the driver carries the badge of ASF (Army Service Forces) In bosom ASF one finds the elements of the Body Of Engineers (see note) Quartermaster Medical profession Department Ordnance Department Signal Body Chemical Warfare Service Transportation Body (after July 42) Note: Even if Engineers are listed in the ASF it is not completely the case, in 1943 the Body Of Engineers (COE) is divided into two groups under control: AGF = infantry, cavalry, field artillery + coast artillery, antiaircraft, Armored ASF ((dice at the time our GI forms part of one of the following units) Eng General & Special Service Regts Eng Separate Bns Eng Dumps Truck Cos Eng Forestry Cos Eng Petroleum Distribution Cos Port Construction & Repair Gps Eng Topo Bns (GHQ) Eng Equipments Cos Eng Base Shops Cos Eng Heavy Shop Cos

captions later

1589140066_d287dcf9dd.jpg

An American bulldozer, D7 Caterpillar with an angledozer and LeTourneau equipment baptized "booger kid" stop holes of bombs on a road of the Norman scrap-metal in the west of Saint-Lo. See here: D7 Caterpillar Behind plane a convoy is stopped on the left side at the head Half Track, the men belong to the 30th US ID which will cover the left side of the opening of Operation Cobra on July 25, 1944. On this pulling the badge of shoulder of the GI on the left is censured. Reference page 293 of the book US First Army, Heimdal, 2004. The registration of this D7 is censured. 45130 is the TQM of the unit, in order to mask with the enemy the units a number is assigned with each company, which is deferred (only the figure of ten and the unit according to a color) on the vehicles, effects, etc... 1-A means First Army. With the museum of Bayeux one can see Caterpillar taking again this marking. See here: picasaweb.google.com/dudu757/MMorialDeLaBatailleDeNormand... picasaweb.google.com/dudu757/MMorialDeLaBatailleDeNormand... It acts of a bulldozer having been useful in the British army and, after having filled its office in many places and, in particular for the construction of the ALG, it found itself in Caen where he took part in the clearing of the ruins of the city. Much later the Fields sold it with the careers of Mouen which resold it to the sand pits enters Vaux on Seulles and Bayeux. With end of breath, it was offered in gift to the town of Bayeux for its museum. It was repaints according to this photograph but to in no case it does not act of an original déco. Moreover the stencil key sets having been used for markings are, although US, different

Re the above subject, if you can get hold of the following books, they're a good informative read,:-D

Clear The Way, history of the US Army 146th Engineer Combat Battalion.

The Brigades Of Neptune, US Army Engineer Special Brigades in Normandy.

Both by Richard T. Bass.

2314385826_d28e96e09f.jpg

An American bulldozer releases the crossroads of Saint-Gilles, July 27, 1944. D7 Caterpillar with an angledozer and LeTourneau.Voir equipment here: D7 Caterpillar It is necessary to leave the place with the motorized columns of 30th US ID and with the armoured columns of 2nd US AD. Wrecks of two Panzer IV of the 5 and 8 Kompanien of Panzerlehr-Regiment 130. Reference: page 136 of the book: The war of the GI S of George Bernage and George Cadel, Heimdal, 1994

Thank you for the titles , I ll give a look about on the web and see if my folding green will be going into someone elses pocket soon .

No worries,..........if you need it, I've an e mail addy for him. :-D

(just got his latest,.......Exercise Tiger)

Andy

• 1 month later...

found this film on combat engineers in the Pacific , North Africa and Italy

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/740.cfm a few Dodges, Cats, GMC's and CMP's of course Jeeps.

another film of the Burma Ledo road

a few nice shots of Cats

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/735.cfm

last film has a few Diamond T's and GMC's oh and WLF's most interesting are scenes of a Military Engine rebuilding program to keep the trucks operating

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/477.cfm

Edited by abn deuce

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The dragline in the pics was operated on the beach loading GMC tipper and a Diamond T tipper, I have quite a few pics somewhere. Both the dragline and the T had been restored and finished at the last gasp to get to Normandy. As far as I remember it was claimed that the dragline was WW2 but I am open to correction.

Both the dragline and the T had been restored and finished at the last gasp to get to Normandy. As far as I remember it was claimed that the dragline was WW2 but I am open to correction.

In that case I expect you are right - I think the American built Bucyrus machines (it is a Bucyrus isn't it?) changed to the later cab (as in this photo) some time before the British built machines with their older square cab style - but I don't know what year.

Did you make a note of the model number by any chance Degsy?

found this film on combat engineers in the Pacific , North Africa and Italy

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/740.cfm a few Dodges, Cats, GMC's and CMP's of course Jeeps.

another film of the Burma Ledo road

a few nice shots of Cats

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/735.cfm

last film has a few Diamond T's and GMC's oh and WLF's most interesting are scenes of a Military Engine rebuilding program to keep the trucks operating

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/477.cfm

Great footage ! I wouldn't fancy being near the ammo dump ! :eek:

In that case I expect you are right - I think the American built Bucyrus machines (it is a Bucyrus isn't it?) changed to the later cab (as in this photo) some time before the British built machines with their older square cab style - but I don't know what year.

Did you make a note of the model number by any chance Degsy?

No I didn't unfortunately, just took the info at face value.