Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is looking at 12 or 14 ply tyres, beware of new / nearly new looking tyres removed from Stalwarts being scrapped some years back.

I've come across a couple of large batches of these and although at first sight they look really good ('yes, always been keep out of the sun in this dark shed'), most had sidewalls with very bad cracks - be careful!. There may well be some still floating around looking for an unsuspecting buyer.

Edited by N.O.S.

They are rated at 6410 lbs @ 50 psi, which gets me

12,820 lbs front, axle, (gross laden 9,760 lbs) = 3,060 lbs spare capacity

24,560 lbs rear bogie, (gross laden 20,160 lbs) = 4,400 lbs " "

7,460 lbs = 3,330 ton spare load capacity.

So OK for my usage and should give a better ride, unless I am missing something. :confused: These tyres should be quite easy to find NOS.

You have talked yourself out of 1080lb on the back bogie, so there is more reserve than you thought.:)

thor has the XL all round ,the tread seam to clog up in mud and the only way to clear them is to spin the wheels fast.because of the wider tyers the ground pressure is less so it dose not cut in like the bar grips in the mud, but in the dry they mark the ground less and the ride is improved and none of that jerking steering when turning at speed.im still undecided :???

Edited by gps

thor has the MX all round ,the tread seam to clog up in mud and the only way to clear them is to spin the wheels fast.because of the wider tyers the ground pressure is less so it dose not cut in like the bar grips in the mud, but in the dry they mark the ground less and the ride is improved and none of that jerking steering when turning at speed.im still undecided :???

No Nuts leave trenches with all the blasat you carry !!:rofl:

Here is some utter filth !!

Avon Dassett in the nineties

A dirty dorset - there are ten in the line up but the camera could not get them all in

Hope you enjoy the photos - a better explanation of all the photos is on my thread in intros and welcomes

:tup::

Avon Dassett.jpg

Avon Dassett 1.jpg

Avon Dassett 2.jpg

Dirty Dorest 1998.jpg

Here one that I scrapped for spares from severn beach recoveries.

Some really superb photographs ! Thank you very much for posting them.

I can remember seeing three or four Explorers, all in a very poor state, at the Severn Beach Recovery yard. There was also a DT and a very original Pioneer gun tractor that I've also seen at the Berkley Castle shows.

Some years ago, at about 3am one morning, I rolled an ERF on the M4 after first going through the central reservation and Severn Beach did the recovery but, disappointingly, not with a Scammell. What a let down.:-(

No Croc the groups I ment are designed to wean sad blokes like me off of Scammells so that a "normal" life can be had ! Fortunately my case is so acute that I was deemed a waste of time and money ! Strangely people I know have described Daisy in this way also ! I think thats why me and her get on so well ! :nut::nut:

Thor, what was the background to this find ? It looks as though they had come straight from Ruddington and were then parked at the bottom of someone's garden. Did they have any sort of life in commercial recovery after leaving the military ?

YSY249-found.jpg

Some really superb photographs ! Thank you very much for posting them.

I can remember seeing three or four Explorers, all in a very poor state, at the Severn Beach Recovery yard. There was also a DT and a very original Pioneer gun tractor that I've also seen at the Berkley Castle shows.

Some years ago, at about 3am one morning, I rolled an ERF on the M4 after first going through the central reservation and Severn Beach did the recovery but, disappointingly, not with a Scammell. What a let down.:-(

There was 3 explorers, a pioneer and some ducks. The pioneer he used to show :) One explorer was mine - the clutch blew in 1974, they had also ripped the front out winching and when they borught the second explorer for recovery they gassed the back off because it had a big dozer blade as an anchor and put it on their new one, not sure where the second explorer went, the third one had a leyland 680 and now has a cummins L10 and is called lightening :)

Thor, what was the background to this find ? It looks as though they had come straight from Ruddington and were then parked at the bottom of someone's garden. Did they have any sort of life in commercial recovery after leaving the military ?

YSY249-found.jpg

Hi limited on this I'm afraid

Do not think they went into commercial use - they were parked in someones field near Dorking and left we think. One now belongs to my cousin (one on the right) and the other one was used for spares. When I see my cousin I will try and get some more history.:)

The pioneer he used to show.

On seeing this Pioneer gun tractor looking a little neglected I politely asked if it might be for sale. The owner didn't answer with a yes, or no, but with a condescending sneer. I took that to be a no.

Link to some useful info on using UJs at excessive angles as per a previous discussion.

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14273/css/14273_179.htm

Note how at 30 degrees and 1000rpm the heavy propshaft has to be accelerated to about 1150rpm and then slowed to about 850rpm twice every revolution, which saps power and causes heavy wear of the UJs.