Just a thought...

david052

As I was cleaning up the rim for my 7" headlamp rim (oo er missus!), standard 80's/90's FV type, it occurred to me to reflect on the engineering design of these things. It has 'Top' faintly stamped on the top, c/w an arrow in case of doubt, so that you can align it correctly to get the beam pointing in the right direction, but at the bottom of the circle, if you can have such a thing, are two raised indentations so should/when the thing is covered in successive layers of squaddie 2" brush applied paint you will always know which way is up. What ingenuity and application of thought. Marvellous!!! I love that sort of stuff.

And the retrospectively fitted headlamp guards on my CVR(T) that came later on in an upgrade. What lovely things they are. They could have been boring and mundane, yet they are so neatly designed, both as a guard and also capable of being stepped on due to their positioning, yet have a style of their own, so much so that someone must really have thought about it. How about that?

Who else has come across similar delights, of aesthetics married to sound, practical design, or have I been at the Christmas spirit a little too much and should stop sniffing paint fumes???

Cheers!

David,

I think the clever thinking probably ended with the head lamps. :roll: Incidently the later headlamps are actually the 1950s design fitted to Ferrets etc. Other things are annoying... why do you need to take the bulkhead out to change the oil filter on a CVRT? Surely a nice removable panel would have done, so you could lower the seat and reach in.

There are examples of this on most vehicles, for example the Fox. Whos idea was it to put the distributor so far in the depths of the hull you can hardly see it, never mind change the points? Yet on the same vehicle they were clever with the brake servo and fitted just enough extra hose so that you can change it from the commanders seat without taking the engine out.

Chris

Yes, there are many, many minus points, like sitting on what, 300 litres plus of petrol in an internal fuel tank doesn't strike me as top of the range in engineering design - no guys, don't smoke whilst sitting around waiting for the go signal, but there was an effort to achieve some sort of focus in parts usage. Who came up with common versions of sights, for instance, 42s, 45s, and so on, that could be used across the board of FV design? And the same applies for you other era afficionados. CMP = Canadian Military Pattern. But what pattern? Who decides that sort of thing?

Spare Chain Gun Barrel holder on CVRT Sabre, fitted to top of bin on Cmdrs side, tried it a couple of times. Very difficult thing to do with a hot barrel, also the hot steel barrel has a tendency to warp the alloy holder and makes it difficult to remove the barrel once it's cooled. We used a section of scoffolding pipe with a base welded on and fastened to the right side of the Cmdrs seat with exchaust clamps to slide it straight into.

Baz.

My Matador has 12 Volt 36/36 Watt headlight bulbs, on a small bayonet cap, without indexing pins.

In order to get the bulb in the right way so it dips down, instead of up, it relies on the word "top" printed in black ink on the brass bayonet. Imagine taking one out after it has been fitted to a fairly close fitting lampholder and this writing still being on it!

Steve Mc Guire's APT developed generator wobble at Ieper last year, when we took the old bearing it it was US dated 1944. Thought the warranty might have expired. Took about two hours to fix. A modern vehicle wouldn't even know whats wrong unless the ******* :computerterror: computer told you.