Axle Leak

Mark

Hi Folks

Since bringing the jimmy home I have developed a leak on the middle axle, the oil seems to be running out from between the wheels and over the outer tyre and it is parked on a slight slope towards that side, now when I had the Reo one axle leaked like this until I cleaned the breather nipple on top of the axle as it was not releasing the build up of pressure?

My question is, could this be the problem here or could the seal have gone and are they hard to change, I have seal kits so that is not a problem assuming they are the same for all axles on the truck.

Any ideas please.

regards

Mark, you really do need to get the TM for your truck, they are available from Portrayal Press and sometimes on ebay, it will make your life so much easier. The seals are different for Timken split and Banjo axles, have a look on cckw.org I'm sure Dr Deuce has posted on how to do the job.

Mark,

A lot of heavy truck axles have a hole ( or several holes) adjacent to the wheel studs usually, that drains off any oil weep from the hub seal. The idea is that the oil is flung into a "gutter" in the hub to keep it from the brake linings, then it leaks out of this hole, hence seeing oil leaks inside the wheel rims sometimes.

Richard

Done some work on the truck today removed the breathers for the axles and found them to be well and truly blocked (hard), now if I am thinking correctly this would not have relieved the pressure in the axles after/during a run and therefore the pressure would release from the weakest point which would be the seals.

Am I thinking straight. :dunno:

Done some work on the truck today removed the breathers for the axles and found them to be well and truly blocked (hard), now if I am thinking correctly this would not have relieved the pressure in the axles after/during a run and therefore the pressure would release from the weakest point which would be the seals.

Am I thinking straight. :dunno:

Mark,

You are thinking on the right lines, but because one seal is leaking, it could be worn, so while you have the opportunity, it might be time to change it because if left and the drain hole in hub got blocked, then it could be oil on brakes shoes later on.

Richard

Richard/Kewelde :whistle: I forgot to mention that there is a slight weep on both rear axles on the inside of 3 very slight which led me to thinking my last post.

OK Mark, then my suggestion is to clean all traces of oil from the wheels and now that your breathers are clear, see what happens after your next drive. That will save any unneccesary dismantling.

Mark, you really do need to get the TM for your truck, they are available from Portrayal Press and sometimes on ebay

Mark - if you don't like paper manuals and don't mind getting your keyboard oily, check out ebay item no. 310011698158.

It's a CD version of the TM10-1563 jimmy manual, this guy often has them advertised if you miss this one. Quite a cheap way of getting a manual. And you must get a manual

Tony

Mark - if you don't like paper manuals and don't mind getting your keyboard oily, check out ebay item no. 310011698158.

It's a CD version of the TM10-1563 jimmy manual, this guy often has them advertised if you miss this one. Quite a cheap way of getting a manual. And you must get a manual

Tony

So is that the most important manual to have, which shows all the parts of the truck in exploded views and details all the bits on how to take it to bits :-D

So is that the most important manual to have, which shows all the parts of the truck in exploded views and details all the bits on how to take it to bits :-D

:dunno: There seem to be so many!

I have TM 9-801 which is a very good driver's andgeneral maintenance and major assy removal manual, but does not cover detail repair. It covers only open cab versions, but describes and illustrates all body styles.

I also have TM 10-1269 (this is the Portrayal one?) which covers major assy detail repair work, like setting up crownwheel/pinion and stripping out/rebuilding stering box)

Anyone got any ideas on which is the best overall manual?

I made a mistake with the number of TM 10-1269 which I've corected.

R3, I think this is the one you need, am I right in thinking it is a compilation of the individual component manuals? :dunno: On the other hand, judging by your steering box rebuild you seem to manage quite well without it :-D

Pressure in the housing is probably the cause, also wonr seals as stated before.

The 1/2 ton Dodge I had leaked from both sides.

It had the original leather seals in them, they were a ^%@ to get out even with the tool.

In the end I broke them piece by piece ..