What's your Christmas Present?

woa2

What no one wants to do the tail gunners postion? I have one idea a ball turret mounted on a trailer ......human goldfish bowl ! Those Gunners where chosen for their smaller size most I think were 5'2" to 5'7" or there abouts There was a "Wings of ...." episode of what it was like being in one of those with your knees almost in your face and twin fifties practically on your shoulders. The gunners talked about it being the loneliest position and most venerable ....being outside the aircraft and nothing but the intercom to connect them to the rest of the Aircrew. while the other gunners could see each other or move about they couldn't.If the aircraft was hit and the crew had to jump the ball turret had to be moved into position if it could be, in order for him to exit the ball , then get his paraschute and finally exit the plane....if there was time and the power wasn't knocked out . the ball used electric motors.

Surprisingly, Ball Turret Gunners had one of the best survival rates of all positions. It was a small cramped position, but it was also a small area to hit, and not a primary aiming point for fighters.

If I was going to make a Nav position, I'd just make the 5 feet area where the table is, and the fuselage side to just above the windows. See diagram below. I'd make the table, seat, fuz side and then probably work towards the lamp and oxygen gauges etc at that position. But it would still need to be easily transportable, together with the other stuff I need to carry about. It may be impractical, but it's just throughts buzzing around my head at present.

So to go back on topic, what other toys did people get???

Steve