Churchill tank stolen

ferret

Hi,

I am seething this morning, just found out that the Churchill tank that has stood as a monument at the old tank factory in Sheffield as been stolen!

I have done a google search, and there seems to be no mention of it. I have also searched the local paper's web site and nothing there.

Does nobody care anymore?

What can we do? who do I need to put pressure on?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheers Chris

Atleast it isn't bound for Beijing like so much metal these days. I'm still amazed my Iltis and Renault 5 haven't been nicked from my street.

If the Churchill ends up in loving hands, then good. But it is a shame the way monuments are disappearing as people lose interest in the past.

It doesn't sound like it should have been sold at all.

this is an email from a friend of mine Paul Watson who is trying to find out where the tank has gone.

Tank disappeared about a fortnight ago – various tales are abroad including that it's former owner took it back because it was getting wrecked. Had Sheffield Archaeology Service look into it and it was sold by Price Waterhouse Coopers to a collector ? Methinks it's heading for a collection in Kent but no one wants to admit it. The sale was dubious as it was still owned by the relatives of Newton Chambers who hadn't given their permission it seems, so watch this space as Andy and I have opened a city wide can of worms.

This tank has been a landmark and monument in Sheffield for years, and was placed there to remind us of the city's contribution to the war effort. :angry:

I read about this on 'tother forum ;-),

If it gets the attention it needs, then, good,.......at least it will survive into the future;

Last time I saw it,..............it did look pretty worse for wear, and VERY unloved.

I saw it earlier this year and thought it looked pretty good. It wasn't going to disappear anytime soon afterall it is armoured everything inside had already gone anyway so it wasn't going to get anyworse. It has looked the same for years.

I don't believe a private individual should get our great city's monument!

I do believe it needed to moved to another position!

Chris

Read about it on the other forum as well. Maybe if a band of volunteers had looked after it while it was at Sheffield it wouldn't have been sold to a collector. At least this way it will be restored back to its original condition and into working order, which surely is a better memorial than sitting there dead and lifeless, and also inaccurate

were i live in barnsley well infact down my street is an old tank factory, our road is reinforced to take the weight of them and there is the rail link out the back i remember been told by a elderly person who has lived in our village all her life that she remembers tanks going up the street and on the railway and i got her to describe them to me and it appears they were churchills and cromwells then switched back to making gaskets and seals

I see nothing wrong with having common war-time vehicles on pliths providing they are in a suitable position and they are looked after.

None of these conditions seem to have been matched in this case and idealy the City Council should have taken it on and moved it else where. Possibly even inside the city Musuem if there is one locally.

It was sold presumably because it was owned by a private company who saw a way of making money.

It doesn't sound like it should have been sold at all.

this is an email from a friend of mine Paul Watson who is trying to find out where the tank has gone.

Tank disappeared about a fortnight ago – various tales are abroad including that it's former owner took it back because it was getting wrecked. Had Sheffield Archaeology Service look into it and it was sold by Price Waterhouse Coopers to a collector ? Methinks it's heading for a collection in Kent but no one wants to admit it. The sale was dubious as it was still owned by the relatives of Newton Chambers who hadn't given their permission it seems, so watch this space as Andy and I have opened a city wide can of worms.

This tank has been a landmark and monument in Sheffield for years, and was placed there to remind us of the city's contribution to the war effort. :angry:

This should be interesting - Can't be many armoured collections in Kent.