Summer holidays

Great War truck

After much heated discussion, bartering and negotiation we have settled on going to Crete for our Summer holiday in 2008. Is anybody aware of any museums or battlefield sites that would be of interest to me. I get the impression that the odd MV can still be found in private use , but on the whole the WW2 history of the area is not really commemorated.

Any thoughts?

Tim

Cor! What a collection , far better than what I came across!! I wasn't particularly going 'hunting' when over there some years back, but in conversation with the hotel owner it turned out that his father was active in the resistance against the Germans. His village up in the mountains had been bombed by Stukas on a number of times. He drove me up there one day to meet him. He turned out to still have a very full and active arsenal of weaponry both British and German!! I've no idea if it is legal for farmers to still hold that level of ordnance over there. Had a right good hour shooting off with all manner of stuff at the usual tin cans, bottles, rocks, passing planes and German tourists :) (joking) (sort of). :whistle:

Don't let the Missus see the pictures Tim!! Or you'll find yourself at Butlin's Minehead. :evil: I used to teach Billy Butlin's daughters to ride, when i asked him once why he didn't have a camp in jersey, he looked at me and said 'Because it would lower the tone of the place. years later I had spent a winter season on Exmoor and was looking for a summer job. i was talking to mate's in the pub. one said I can get you a job working for my section at Butlin's, I asked him what he did and he said head of catering. I replied I knew B***** all about catering, he answered , you can feed cattle can't you. so you have been warned :angel:

My grandfather was captured in Crete - he was a Sergant in the Royal Marines, he had a hard time as a POW. Didn't like them and let them knew.....perhaps that is where I get my attitude from?!

Would like to go there myself one day.