CVR(T) 65216 Down under

Hi All , 

Thought i had better better start a Restoration Blog here so that i have the story of 65216 recorded somewhere and so you guys can see my mistakes and the problems i find . 

Some of you will have probably seen my posts on the CVRT Appreciation group on Facebook already so hopefully  i wont bore you reposting photos here . 

65216 is an Ex-Belgian Scimitar which from what i have been able to find out went to the UK after disposal , it was then partially dismantled before being sold to a fellow in Western Australia . From there it passed through a couple of owners until i purchased it from a Gent in Queensland . 

The photos show 65216 as it was when i purchased it  and its arrival to my Farm in Victoria  in a 20ft container . 

A bit of background about me , I am a Farmer near Ballarat Victoria and also own a Centurion ARV 169114 in running condition  as well as a Lp2a Carrier  project that will be started once the Scimitar is finished . 

James .

IMG_1246.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1266 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1293.JPG

• Like 2

Welcome. 

I wound up with 65247, they likely shared the same warehouse for a time and may also have served in Somalia or Rwanda together.  Are you thinking to restore 65216 to UN-livery, or going another direction?

I wound up taking her down to a bare hull and when I'm not working on my running Ferret or almost-driving Spartan am still picking at the project.  Your 65216 has a number of parts I was missing but might lack others.  I had severe water damage which led to a lot of rot and also ruptured torsion bar tunnels.  Make sure to check your motor mounts as they may have separated or are about to.  Also, expect most or all of your axle stubs to be trashed if yours saw similar neglect to the other Belgian UN CVR(T) I'm aware of.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Welcome John1950 and Teletech . 

Teletech at this stage it will be Green paint and standard belgian markings . In the future it may end up with UN makings and paint . Apart from a healthy dose of water in the gearbox compartment the rest of the hull is in excellent condition . All the Torsion bars except for one are in servicable condition . The motor mounts are in good condition too which is nice . 

So far the Scimitar has been moved into one of the Sheds and Dismantled . Gearbox and final drives removed and new seals installed as well as new bearings in the Right hand drive as they were stuffed . 

Gearbox has been cleaned and repainted along with calipers and other parts . 

Clutch has been stripped and rebuilt just waiting on the Garter springs to arrive so it can be finished and reinstalled . 

348926651_1291245327943185_2834186649161869404_n.jpg

348723560_635405428629280_1287627213587729045_n.jpg

348324739_793135918767706_4385691093792147482_n.jpg

345199179_779213573576690_6929414642654319957_n.jpg

345165085_772139951107074_2031079105393633688_n.jpg

345063188_3035668166740222_8199284737707438456_n.jpg

• Like 1

Seems like 65216 is in far better condition than 65247, so that's lucky.

It also seems like you are several thousand percent faster than I am.

I broke several bolts getting my clutch linings apart and it was really annoying to buy/make new ones as they were BSF.

Did you strip your torsion bars, and if so, how?  I've been side-eyeing mine for weeks now trying to figure out some reasonable way to do that.

22 hours ago, teletech said:

Did you strip your torsion bars, and if so, how?  I've been side-eyeing mine for weeks now trying to figure out some reasonable way to do that.

0n 432 APC's. At one end of each torsion bar. It is drilled & Tapped with a female thread. There was an insertion / removal Tool used. Approx 4 Feet long,  which could be VERY easily replicated. Basically, it was a 'T' shaped stem & handle from steel round bar. With a screw thread on the end of the stem. Which matched the thread hole in the end of the torsion bar. Excellent for inserting the bar, lift it up inside the hull. To the correct position. To fit the spline holes in the hull.  

I have never had to do a CVR(T) Torsion bar myself. But would imagine the same type of tool t have been utilised? It makes sense! 😁

6 hours ago, ferretfixer said:

0n 432 APC's. At one end of each torsion bar. It is drilled & Tapped with a female thread. There was an insertion / removal Tool used. Approx 4 Feet long,  which could be VERY easily replicated. Basically, it was a 'T' shaped stem & handle from steel round bar. With a screw thread on the end of the stem. Which matched the thread hole in the end of the torsion bar. Excellent for inserting the bar, lift it up inside the hull. To the correct position. To fit the spline holes in the hull.  

I have never had to do a CVR(T) Torsion bar myself. But would imagine the same type of tool t have been utilised? It makes sense! 😁

Removing the bars is sort-of easy: take the weight off the roadwheel, remove the retainer pin cover, remove the retainer pin( this part can be hard),  just unbolt the flange and run bolts into the extraction holes. 

Stripping the tape, adhesive, paint, and rust off the torsion bar once you have it out is the challenge I'm frustrated by.

Looks better than the one I pulled out, not that it's any consolation.

Neglect, sure, but also a good example of why they re-powered the CVR(T) range. 

Just a few years back, there were still plenty of Jag cars to use as engine donors in my area, I *might* regret not grabbing a couple spares.

Edited by teletech

Easy peasey

Get a piece of thick plywood, bigger then the clutch shoe drum,  bolt two  or more  long bolts into the plywood such as to stop the clutch shoe  drum turning, place the drum over the long bolts, assembly the clutch shoes onto the drum and walk the spring on using a thin long screwdriver or a sharp pointed bar.
There is a lot of tension in the springs, so take the usual safety precautions.
The clutch liner retaining machine screws as previously mentioned are BSF reduced head so try to save your old screws for re use

• Like 1

Thanks for the Tip Diana and Jackie , ended up doing a similar method using a vice a length of steel tube and some high tensile wire . Have managed to get the clutch assembled now and ready to go back onto the gearbox. Ill try and get some photos tomorrow to post up . 

• 2 months later...