Need tyres for my Bedford MJ

Threeracers

My Goodyear Bargrip 12r20 tyres have seen better days and the perishing was flagged up at the last MOT so looking for replacements.

Anyone have any experience of Continental MPT 80?  I have found some in a 12.5r20, I assume that I wont notice any real difference with the slight size difference and is it ok too fit those on my rims?

TIA

Mark

On 3/17/2023 at 10:27 AM, Threeracers said:

My Goodyear Bargrip 12r20 tyres have seen better days

Have you got the tyre type incorrect as all the Goodyear Bargrips I have seen are crossply?

If you fit modern tubeless radials from a T244 to split rim wheels you will need to use tubes which some tyre makers are not happy about due to heat build up from the more flexible sidewalls. You can get special radial type tubes but best to get advice from the tyre maker.

Also beware if thinking of using an alternative wheel, I seem to remember the Bedfords are nut centric and later types may be hub centric. Either way don't forget to re-torque after 50 miles or so.

Unless the fitting charge includes a new tube and flap it is way over the top, it takes decent tyre fitter a maximum of 15 minutes to strip down and build up a split rim, even if the bead has stuck to the rim. Five minutes to inflate in a cage and job done. 

On 3/18/2023 at 3:13 PM, radiomike7 said:

Have you got the tyre type incorrect as all the Goodyear Bargrips I have seen are crossply?

That was a typo, they are cross ply and yes, I think they only made them in a cross ply.

I went with the Continentals in the end, needed something new as I am about to drive up from Kent to the outer Hebrides in a couple of weeks time and didn’t want to chance the Bargrips for 1800 miles!

Mark

• Like 1