British Tanks in Russia

Surveyor

It seems to me like politicians playing top trumps at the moment. They need ammunition for the tanks that they have. I thought the reason for the latest Challenger 2 update with the new turret was because ammunition for the current gun is scarce.

• Like 1

Highly likely to be a political move, so the Germans will send Leopard 2, that the Ukrainians want.

Deploying a dozen or so, nearly obsolete tanks, that weigh 28 tonnes more than anything currently used there, with potentially limited ammunition supply as it's no longer manufactured, isn't going to be of much use.

Add in the necessary spares, crew training and they'll be of little use. Also, modern tanks need to be used as part of a combined arms deployment, so the promised 30 AS90s will be of more use, I suppose the question there, is where have they found 30 fully functional AS90s & when will these & the Challies actually be sent?

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 1:39 PM, Surveyor said:

Russia says Britain's tanks 'will burn' in Ukraine (msn.com)

The thought does occur to me that these will be priority targets for Putin

absolutely-should our CR2 be penetrated or destroyed we can kiss goodbye to the Chally's excellent track record. UK mod will be rubbished, and the Russian arms industry will get a huge boost. Bad move.

I think that it is a very carefully calculated move.  The over riding strategic objective is to avoid Ukraine being defeated. and we need to remember that.

The bigger difficulty is training the Ukrainians to provide the first and second line technical support to keep ANY NATO  AFV operational.  The Ukrainians are very clever but all the NATO MBTs are very complicated.   

John

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 7:37 PM, terryb said:

absolutely-should our CR2 be penetrated or destroyed we can kiss goodbye to the Chally's excellent track record. UK mod will be rubbished, and the Russian arms industry will get a huge boost. Bad move.

They have been penetrated, in 2006, an RPG-29 penetrated a Challie's low frontal armour.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...