Dutch LWT Landy

SPTA team

Question

I have always woundered why they are called light weights. Even with the doors and top bulk head removed they are still as heavy as a standard Landy. :dunno: :dunno:

Next question, Dutch arial mounts? are they easy to come by? He would like to put it back as an FFR. The one picture I have seen, the mounts look totaly different. If all else fails we will put a set of Brit whips on with side mounts.

As for the nets I had a look on the PM site and found I had some pictures of modern Dutch vehicles on there. The nets look as if they are made up of three colours. Dark green, light green and brick red. :dunno:

I'm going to have a stab in the dark here and other members feel free to agree or disagree.

I am assuming that when items became known as NATO, pretty much everything was standardised.

As Holland were a NATO contingent, it is not unreasonable to suggest the cam nets they would be using would be the same as UK forces.

I know other countries used various paint schemes etc but I don't think you would be wrong using a standard NATO cam net as per the UK forces.

I do stand to be corrected - and probably will. :-D

Markheliops

Its not the 12 x12. The trick with them is leave the end panels on fold them up so that when you put up the frame the canvas sits on the middle then unfolds over it. Its the camo nets. There should be plastic or aluminium pole sctions that fit three of four at a time, then a thing like a flower basket on top. Nail one side of the net down and the poles hold it up.

Plain Military,

I think the Dutch did have different colour camo nets to the British Army.

If you get Mark Cooks excellent book ' The Half Ton Military Land Rover' you will see a good colour shot of a Dutch LW in service on page 165. The nets on it do look different from anything I have seen in British Army use even taking in to account the real foliage on it too.

Dutch camo nets from that era have small steel rings at intervals along the edges. The rings are about 20mm dia (like a keyring) and are spaced at roughly 300mm. These measurements are from memory and I could be horribly wrong, of course.

Aerial mounts: Have a look at http://heidilandrover.webeden.co.uk

There is a photo of the Phillips mount in the "Heidi Photos" section.

The correct colour for the Laro (as the Dutch called 'em) is RAL6014, which any paint supplier can mix for you.

Hope that helps ;¬)

Spot on Gareth :tup:

Superb Laro and great pictures, will be book marking your site for future references if thats OK.

Did your vehicle come with the arial mounts fixed or did you have to source some? One more question, did the Dutch ever use SWB landys? I have one sat in the barn and at loose ends with what to do with it.

Dutch camo nets from that era have small steel rings at intervals along the edges. The rings are about 20mm dia (like a keyring) and are spaced at roughly 300mm. These measurements are from memory and I could be horribly wrong, of course.

Hey - I've got one of them! Wondered where it originated.

Spot on Gareth :tup:

Superb Laro and great pictures, will be book marking your site for future references if thats OK.

Did your vehicle come with the arial mounts fixed or did you have to source some? One more question, did the Dutch ever use SWB landys? I have one sat in the barn and at loose ends with what to do with it.

;-)

The Landmacht mainly used the Airportable in the general service role. They differed from British LWTs in a number of ways: gazole injun, vinyl tilt, wing-top indicators etc. etc. The Dutch also used the 109 SIII in small numbers, as general service, ground survey and command/recce (Heidi was one of these). They also had 109 ambulances.

They're using G-Wagens these days.

Edited by Gareth Coe