What is this

Centurion

It is a Commer APC built in RUC workshops in the period 1959-60. Most were APCs, but a few were water cannon & prison vans.

I believe this vehicle to be 3599 XI issued 14/1/60 withdrawn after the Hunt Report on 15/1/70. Some were issued to the Army & acquired FK & BT registrations. This one did not enter Army service & was stored at Long Kesh up until 1975. I believe it was offered to the Tank Museum but was declined & ended up as a range target.

Its chassis no. was 81A3117 with an engine no. 5QX3196. It was painted grey. These vehicles were much liked by the RUC, it is interesting that these were built 2 years after the Humbers were acquired. The Commers were considered easier to maintain than the Humbers & were acquired at a time when there was anxiety about spares as they were then obsolete. What wasn't grasped was that although the pigs based on the FV1609 were obsolete, the production of the Army APC FV1611 had only just been completed the pig was very much a current vehicle & so there should have been no shortage of spares.

What a sorry state for it to end up in. I would have loved to own one of these Commers. I like the crude functionality of improvised armour.

How on earth do you know whar registration it is! You got some form of special powers :-o

It's just that I have taken a particular interest in British IS vehicles & built up info on them. This one I have been aware of for 15 years, gradually getting in a worse state. I have 2 ex-RUC vehicles a pig & a Shorland. Up until recently I had a prototype APC that was trialled by the RUC.

There are 2 the other one is just out of camera shot both are in about the same condition. The insides have fire damage but the engine and transmission looks intact. Both are in Northumberland.

Thanks for the information, Centurion

Otterburn Training Area? Clearly not on the ATGW range we used. Wouldn't have been a lot left even if hit by a PRAC round!

Apart from the obvious logistics problems of getting it onto a low loader, how do you actually approach the Army with a view to rescuing it? I suppose the Range Warden is a start but even then they must be on a list of ownership somewhere?

Obvoius answer, you never know till you ask. Got to be worth the question. When I worked for MOD a polite letter would often get bits of odd stuff written off, provided I was not selling it for profit. 2 Swingfire sights are now mounted in the observation cupolas at Battery Lothrigein at Noirmont in Jersey as the result of such a letter.

You not tempted to rescue it then clive? Or doesnt it hold much interest for you?

It holds a lot of interest & wish when the Tank Museum turned it down I could have moved in on it. But given where it is & the state it is now in, the time, logistics & cost, don't make it viable for me.

One has to be realistic. I am retired eyesight & back are not so good & I seem to feel the cold out in the sheds more. I am attempting to rework the Shorland that hasn't been driven for 12 years, one Pig needs an engine replacement, the Hornet silencer is bust again, both trailers are rusting away, the RUC pig is not really finished yet, the Wolf needs a derusting & so it goes on. I get hooked on article & with image adjustments they can easily run up to 150 hours each. Besides I am still living in a caravan after 6 months of builders at work on the house & no electricity in the workshops.

So it would be nice if someone could rescue it but it can't be me unfortunately.

They are at an ATGW range but dont appear to have been used as targets either for AT or small arms fire. The mound you see behind it is the soil banking protecting the rear of an effects and firing bunker.

As far as I can establish this part of the range was originally for Milan but is now being demolished.

Perhaps that has wetted your appetite,, Centurion

It holds a lot of interest & wish when the Tank Museum turned it down I could have moved in on it. But given where it is & the state it is now in, the time, logistics & cost, don't make it viable for me.

One has to be realistic. I am retired eyesight & back are not so good & I seem to feel the cold out in the sheds more. I am attempting to rework the Shorland that hasn't been driven for 12 years, one Pig needs an engine replacement, the Hornet silencer is bust again, both trailers are rusting away, the RUC pig is not really finished yet, the Wolf needs a derusting & so it goes on. I get hooked on article & with image adjustments they can easily run up to 150 hours each. Besides I am still living in a caravan after 6 months of builders at work on the house & no electricity in the workshops.

So it would be nice if someone could rescue it but it can't be me unfortunately.

I know the feeling mate. Are we soon to be looking for ex military Zimmer frames? :-D

I know the feeling mate. Are we soon to be looking for ex military Zimmer frames? :-D

told you all this squeezing into lycra wouldn't do you any good, in the long run, Tony.............. :evil:

Did I hear you'd ordered stabilizers for your one horse machine. :whistle:

There are at least two that were preserved. 08 FK 85 (formerly 3597 XI) was at Beverley. Another (08 FK 84/5 or 48 FK 64/5 - not sure which of these off hand) was restored by the RUC Historical Society. It looked a nice restoration but it was restored to the Army configuration of a single water canon cupola, whereas the RUC version originally had a double water canon.

told you all this squeezing into lycra wouldn't do you any good, in the long run, Tony.............. :evil:

Did I hear you'd ordered stabilizers for your one horse machine. :whistle:

the horse has it's own stabilisers :-D Don't really want to get in the cavavlary agin. At least the Dodge has a roof. :|

Do you eat mushrooms? I know what they grow on :evil:

P.S And I'm qualified to spread it. :-D

I do actually hold the necessary qualifications to legally spread it ,

Was it the worzills or the yetti's who sung about that operation........???