Just got my Pig!!

da bomb

Collected the MK1 APC (with winch...oooer) on Sunday, and drove it back home, a distance of 24 miles, it then started to do the following.......

Back brakes locked on! fluid pressure not releasing, who says Pig brakes aren't good!!

Misfiring, the last owner thoughtfully forgetting to tighten up the dizzy cover nuts!

Exhaust down pipe dropped out of the bottom of the manifold..quite loud!

Then it ran out of petrol 10 yards from the house, all of this in the space of 3 hours including stopping to fix it.

But it's home and it's all mine, just need to spend some time fettling it, probably with a large hammer :-D

It has the name PIG for a reason ya know. :-D

At least you got it home.

It's better to get all the problems out in the open so you can see what you've got coming.

I'm a great believer in driving a new purchase home so you find out all the pros and cons. Otherwise, you wouldn't have found out about the problems until you were making your way to your first show.

Hope all goes well Adam and give us a picture.

Markheliops

It has the name PIG for a reason ya know. :-D

At least you got it home.

It's better to get all the problems out in the open so you can see what you've got coming.

I'm a great believer in driving a new purchase home so you find out all the pros and cons. Otherwise, you wouldn't have found out about the problems until you were making your way to your first show.

Hope all goes well Adam and give us a picture.

Markheliops

Already sorted the misfiring out for a while, had the ignition stuff pulled out and cleaned up, it was all a bit manky

The brakes, not to sure either a valve sticking or a vacuum problem.

The exhaust is easy enough.

Unfortunately i was so busy fixing the B*****d thing, i didnt get a chance to take any photo's, but they will be following soon..

Collected the MK1 APC (with winch...oooer) on Sunday, and drove it back home, a distance of 24 miles, it then started to do the following.......

Back brakes locked on! fluid pressure not releasing, who says Pig brakes aren't good!!

Misfiring, the last owner thoughtfully forgetting to tighten up the dizzy cover nuts!

Exhaust down pipe dropped out of the bottom of the manifold..quite loud!

Then it ran out of petrol 10 yards from the house, all of this in the space of 3 hours including stopping to fix it.

But it's home and it's all mine, just need to spend some time fettling it, probably with a large hammer :-D

:tup: :rofl: Have you wound the front axle up yet?

Adam, that has been known to be the problem. Apparently the have a tendency to wind up the front diff. I'm sure the experts will put you right. :-D

Only if you go everywhere in 4WD, so for roadwork you just go in 2WD.

The problems that resulted in an average 80 pigs being in for repair at NI workshops at any one time were due to rear wheel stations problems.

Many of the recovered pigs had not had the modified lubrication mods done. The 'stronger' Chobham joints failed due to the clips holding on the articulating pads breaking or unclipping. Pigs & GS vehicles were cannibalised to recover the 'weaker' Tracta joints which were more reliable. When Birfield joints were later fitted to Mk2 pigs, the joint reliability improved, but axle breakage increased!

They also have a tendency to wind up the owners .............. and owners wives :whistle:

My wife seems to think it'll make a great lawn ornament......now that's why i married her!!!

And the front diff engages/disengages from 4wd as required, so in that respect it works quite well, hopefully reducing the tendency to leave big ruts in said lawn :-D

My wife seems to think it'll make a great lawn ornament......now that's why i married her!!!

And the front diff engages/disengages from 4wd as required, so in that respect it works quite well, hopefully reducing the tendency to leave big ruts in said lawn :-D

Does she have a sister? :-D

Tony, unfortunately her sister is very conventional and over emotional, a personality type that doesn't mix well with Military vehicle owners i find!...not only that....she's bloody awful!!

:rofl:

If she reads this, Adam, you might be glad of the armour the pig carries. :whistle:

Hated every moment of it!!! :-D

Was pleasantly surprised at what you could get a Humber Pig to drive over, i have had plenty of experience off road and i was expecting it to get more bogged than it did, and the ride, ground clearance and articulation is very good, not bad for a 5 Ton armoured box!

Hi

Glad your having fun with your pig.

When i first got mine it went off roading many times and the only thing that stopped it going was the barricade remover acting like a snow plough :-D

Its makes you wonder how capeable the original 1 ton truck was.

Stopped doing that with her now but still chipping bits of mud from underneath, didn't seem to ever get clean no matter how long i spent with the steam cleaner.

Was pleasantly surprised at what you could get a Humber Pig to drive over, i have had plenty of experience off road and i was expecting it to get more bogged than it did,

Adam don't get too carried away. Do you have the belly plate that fixes to the bolt holes I've marked in yellow?

This attaches to the diff guard that fits where I've marked in red. Identical to the rear guard which I see is fitted.

width=640 height=480http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/img0752mk6a.jpg[/img]

BTW Don't fill up the nearside tank ;-)