Austin Tilly records

Tillyjohn

Hi All

As a nubie to the forum I'm not sure if I'm in the right section but here goes anyway

I have recently purchased a Tilly from Australia and cutting a long tedious story short am having problems with DVLA confirming the date of manufacture, consequently they have refused my application for an age related plate despite the best efforts of the Tilly Register and IMPS.The problem stems from my chassis number being between two known contracts.

I know it's a long shot but does anybody out there have any Ruddington disposal details of Tilly's post war which might tie up with my chassis number, or have suggestions for dating evidence. BMH Gaydon have Austin build records but as I understand only post war as wartime records seem to have been destroyed.

Many thanks

As far as post war vehicle sales the chassis number was not displayed in catalogues only the military registration  number and park number also make and type                                                                 PS you could try the RLC MUSEUM WITH just the chassis number might give you a start

Edited by wally dugan

Hi All

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I will follow up with the motor museum but I am told they have little or no ww2 Austin records as presumably they were destroyed at the factory during the war. I will also follow up the RLC route.

As for the contract numbers DVLA will not accept that the vehicle was built between two contracts as proof of age. They are saying we have to have a specific recorded date. Seems ridiculous to me but there we are. The Tilly Register and the Federation of Historic Vehicle Clubs is trying to use thier good offices with the DVLA to see what can be done.

Thanks to all 

10 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

Hi and welcome to the forum, did you get any of her history when buying her from Aus?

Hi

No, there was no useful info except the normal invoice etc from the vendor. The Tilly had been off the road since at least 1977having been stored at the vendors father's workshop. I have a copy of the invoice when it was sold at auction in 1977 as an un-registered project. I do have its reg plate details but I'm having problems getting hold of anybody at Western Australia's Dept of Transport to see if they keep post war records.  

• Like 1

Good luck in your search, I recall with my first vintage car I had a hell of a time getting evidence to reclaim the original registration. We had lots of things like tax discs etc but it wasnt until we got in touch with the Kithead Trust that we got certified dated index cards and that was what clinched it with the DVLA.

You could  contact the tank museum to see what B VEHICLE  CONTRACT LEDGERS they hold . While you are in touch with the  RLC MUSEUM ask about the contract ledgers that were in the MUSEUM OF ARMY TRANSPORT because the did hold records. As to contracts when one was issued the supply of that contract could be delivered over a number of years and over lap another contract for  the same type of vehicle

Hi

Many of the RLC Key cards have now been digitised, suggest that you e-mail Tony Abrahams who looks after Key Card requests. His e-mail address is

abrahams49@btconnect.com

He may have a quick look for you and if the RLC have the key card, then you will have to pay to get it

Good luck

Richard

2 minutes ago, Rootes75 said:

Are the RLC keycards only postwar?

Hi

Yes, they were produced post war when all army vehicles were re-numbered into the format nnaann  (nn two digit number 00 to 99, aa being two letters e.g. RA). The RLC holds most of the Army records, RAF Museum holds some RAF ones, the National Museum of the Royal Navy holds a few RN ones that were transferred from Beverley when that museum closed. I am not sure when this exercise was started and when it was completed.  To add to the confusion the RN (and I think the RAF) re-use their numbers.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Richard

OP, I suspect you have an idiot dealing with the application at the DVLA. Some may turn their noses up at such a comment BUT Sunbeam (motorcycles) have no surviving records pre-war nor do Triumph and these are just the two I know have no way of actually dating a vehicle beyond the approximate year.

There are many other vehicle makers where there are no extant factory records. The DVLA allow them to be registered.

Edited by Dog Blamer

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, there are more types of course, but have never seen this type before, maybe only for that contract?  Or for Austins alone? most makes used the standardised types, as I showed.

Thanks for posting the pictures, I collect pictures of Contract plates, have about 100 different ones.

As a rule of thumb, contracts starting with a C have a brass plate, those with an S have a steel plate, the V usually brass, but there are anomalies and exceptions.

Lex

Edited by welbike
additional info

Hi All

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I have explored all except the Tank Museum but have drawn a blank. Indeed some have simply not replied!

I'm talking to the Austin 10 Drivers Club who think they may be able to help. Time will tell.

Meanwhile I'll carry on with the restoration