Austin Tilly records

Tillyjohn

20 hours ago, Tillyjohn said:

Hi All

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I have explored all except the Tank Museum but have drawn a blank. Indeed some have simply not replied!

I'm talking to the Austin 10 Drivers Club who think they may be able to help. Time will tell.

Meanwhile I'll carry on with the restoration

If you would like I can look to my database. I need know your chassis No.

The Austin information are like shreds and I am collecting them like the puzzle. 😉 On the picture is my Austin manuals librery.

books 2020.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tillyjohn said:

Hi Radek

Chassis No is G/YG222349.

Thanks

John

Hi John

this isnt chassis number but vehicle number (lable is riveted on hulhead in motor bay). Chassi number is without prefix G/YG. 😉

Sadly I havent evidence about you chassi number, but 😉

contract S.1444 signed at 28.10.1944 for cars chassis 217001-222200 production start at 9-1943

cotract S.4643 signed at 1944 for cars chassis 223001-223200

I can say your Tilly was manufactured at early 1944.

Do you have contract lable on your dashboard? Could you tell me the contract?

Radek

Hi Radek

This is where the problem starts. My chassis is after S1444 and before S4643. The number I gave you is from the chassis plate riveted to the left hand bulk head and has been authenticated as original by The Tilly Register so it looks like there must have been a contract between the two other contracts above.

I'm not sure where this all goes now but I am currently in contact with the U.K. Austin 10 Drivers Club who are fairly confident they have records which may help me. I have to wait and see.

All the best

John 

18 minutes ago, Tillyjohn said:

.....   so it looks like there must have been a contract between the two other contracts above...

Hi

Is it possible that that it is from an Air Ministry Contract. S1444 is a War Department one, I think that S4643 is also a War Department one (but can't find this in my copy of the Chilwell Census)

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard

Apparently there were few if any Austin Tilly's supplied to the RAF most seem to have been Hillmans or Standards, however the vehicle may have been supplied to the Ministry of Supply or similar body for onward delivery to commonwealth forces which could account for it being in Australia but at the moment all of this is speculation. A small number of Austins were sent to Australia after WW2 to help fill a gap in the domestic market for tradesmen transport. They were sold through the Australian government who fixed the price to the retailers. Its possible mine was one of these which , I guess , may have never been recorded with the military.

Not much help with the DVLA

Thanks to everybody for the feedback so far, the search goes on !!

John 

Hi John

Thanks for the info....

A bit of a long shot but have you searched though these

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1424610

to see if your Tilly is in them. they are lists of Australian Army vehicle records from pre WW2 , many of the WW2 ones are quite detailed, there are more vehicle types in them than the AWM abstract gives.

"The series presently contains twenty seven bound volumes. Within each volume entries are arranged numerically by Army Registration Number (ARN). The entries refer to tanks, assault vehicles, armoured vehicles, machine gun carriers, 15 cwt trucks, scout cars and jeeps. While there are inconsistencies and omissions, most entries provide the following information:
- Army Registration Number (ARN)
- Type and make
- Engine number
- Chassis or maker's serial number
- Details of changes to registration
- Details of eventual disposal of vehicles."

Cheers

Richard