1938 Humber Snipe Imperial:-

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/2-1938-humber-snipe-imperial/?lot=54265

1943 Ford GPW Jeep
Formerly the Property of Oscar Winner Rex Harrison:-

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/17-1943-ford-gpw-jeep/?lot=54052

1943 Ford GPW Jeep:-

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/63-1943-ford-gpw-jeep/?lot=53975

Imperial War Museum Duxford, Wed, 8th Sep 2021

Right, i am really confused now. I dont know much about Jeeps so need some help here. This unrestored rebuilt Allison Ford has a T90 gearbox which was normally fitted into CJ2a, yet the Allison i was looking at which was rebuilt in the same Month has a T84. Production of the CJ2a started 17 July 1945. Is it possible that Allison could get hold of a T90 to put into a rebuilt GPW when CJ2a's were being built with a number of left over parts from the MB and GPW. 

Some comparison photos. Any thoughts please anybody?

Allison 1b.jpg

Allison 1c.jpg

Hi Tim,

If Allison were reconditioning MB/GPW jeeps for a government contract, I would think it unlikely that a different gearbox would be accepted as things like this upset the spares issue. But if these rebuilds were done for general sale, then I suppose anything goes. How do we know that the gearbox change was not done later?

Thanks Richard. I agree entirely. I am only stating what the auction blurb states:

• Still fitted with its original body tub and many period features
  • Extremely rare and unique example having been reconditioned by the Allison Steel Manufacturing Co of Phoenix, Arizona in July 1945 using a more advanced engine, gearbox and front suspension and still showing its associated dating plate
  • Recently serviced and fettled using parts supplied by Dallas Autos of Thatcham

The appeal of this Jeep to Simon was simple. It was more original than many we have offered for sale but also better to drive. While this might sound like a contradiction in terms it is explained by the fact that the Ford was reconditioned by the Allison Steel Manufacturing Company of Phoenix, Arizona in July 1945. The original 1943 GPW body tub was retained but the drivetrain was updated with a developmental prototype ‘fibre drive’ engine and more advanced T.90 gearbox. The front suspension was uprated too to eradicate the infamous ‘Jeep Droop’ on the driver’s side. The original untouched data plates verify the modifications and show that Ford / Willys kept trying to enhance the Jeep right up until the final few months of WW2.

‘NXS 976’ has been inspected by John Farley, the well-known author of ‘The Standardised War-Time Jeeps’, who commented as follows: ‘It is very hard to find an untouched rebuild – allowing us to study the modifications and changes made in period . . . Still, with its very original 1943 GPW tub, combat wheels, original seats, Sheller steering wheel, screen, hood, and wings, this Ford has two freewheeling hubs fitted to the front axle to ease fuel consumption. Offered with its original rear tyre carrier, 1943 Jerry Can, original hood bows, genuine rear seat, grill bumpers and handles, shovel and axe, original seat covers, combat rim and bar grip tyres’.

I suspect that the previous owner had not seen another Allison and might be drawing some conclusions? 

This was offered at H&H last year, presumably when bought by the current owner:

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/33-1943-ford-gpw-jeep/?lot=51181&sd=1

A more coherent 'blurb' but not necessarily any more clarity.

I know nothing about Jeeps, but I could see it either way. The only way to really know would be Allison parts or production records. They don't really offer any proof that it's untouched though, and 1945 to 2020 is a long time for things to be changed ... Seems a bit odd that the only online reference I can see to the 'prototype fibre [fiber?] drive engine is in these two listings?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 1:14 PM, Great War truck said:

I was very interested to see the extremely rare and unique 1943 Ford reconditioned by Allison steel as strangely enough i was only looking at another one a few days ago. what are the chances of that?

Allison 1.jpg

Allison 1a.jpg

I notice the very early air horn on the carb, originally intended for pancake filter. There’s an F marked one for sale right now for £800! If I bought this jeep, I’d be replacing it and selling that one.

On 8/30/2021 at 7:25 PM, Rootes75 said:

They do note its only rumoured to have been a staff car in the auction blurb.

Trouble is with that is I started as a ‘made up staff car’

now it’s ‘rumoured’ to be a staff car.

in ten years will it be ‘genuine staff car, but needs more research to confirm service’ and someone will get their fingers burnt??

• Like 2

There are a lot of wartime or late 30s cars being painted up as staff cars. Only last weekend a chap was telling me he had just bought a 1936 Hillman Minx and he had decided to paint it 'RAF blue' and badge it up. In a few years time someone I am sure will claim its authentic.

• 4 weeks later...