Fox cvrw polecat

tankdiver

I am pondering to sell my  Fox polecat for spares . It has only done 153 miles road registered unfortunately it lost drive the fluid flywheel broke in half . At my age I dont want the hassel The Jaguar J 60 engine started ist time every time   and like all the vehicle  is almost new . there is a peak engineered turret with smoke launches.tyres still have the mould pips on them

The gearbox is excellent  and now is a rare item . If there is a keen interest this may be the rout i may take.

I  will appreciate comment on interest

DSCF6439.JPG

25 minutes ago, tankdiver said:

I  will appreciate comment on interest

Always wanted a Fox.  Unfortunately the couple that have come recently have either needed a gearbox or needed a turret ring.  

I would appreciate the thoughts of those in the know, is the fluid flywheel a rare part? Is it a real pig to fit? 

4 hours ago, tankdiver said:

I am pondering to sell my  Fox polecat for spares . It has only done 153 miles road registered unfortunately it lost drive the fluid flywheel broke in half .

What part of the flywheel split in half, the internal driven member or the aluminum cover? I would be surprised if the steel flywheel split. I spent many years repairing and overhauling Fox's from the full extent of their service life.

Hi Richard

When I pull the engine off the gearbox and looking  where the fluid leaked from I found a hair line crack in the aluminium case. Once I investigated further and took off the cover it just broke in half .I have done lots of vehicles and have never seen this before,  The fluid coupling just moves oil so I think it must have been a flaw from new in the alloy as this vehicle has only done around 153 miles,  This was 293 of the 300 foxes made. and was at the tank museum 30 years ago

4 minutes ago, tankdiver said:

Hi Richard

When I pull the engine off the gearbox and looking  where the fluid leaked from I found a hair line crack in the aluminium case. Once I investigated further and took off the cover it just broke in half .I have done lots of vehicles and have never seen this before, 

i have seen the odd occurence of cracks in the cover of other vehicles with fluid flywheels, usually through lack of oil and overheating of the flywheel. This is a long shot, but I wonder if this part is the same as the one fitted to a Ferret? I do not have parts lists to hand to check at present.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  Richard

I Have decided to partly break the vehicle. The engine is sold, the gearbox has interest on it .The rest of the vehicleI would like to sell as a rolling  ,steering ,braking unit.

With it looking   like a  whole vehicle it could be transported to as a standing exhibit, It  is a lot lighter without the engine and gearbox  , I push it around with my champ so it could  go on a trailer  or as a display on a military lorry. It is open to offers  on HMVF before I list it on Ebay

Yes it is road registered & took  months to get I have it on HMVF classified, as a rolling exhibit with pictures I t will go on Ebay once they come up with a reduction in final sale fees . It has not yet been advertised but word of mouth travels at the speed of light.

Laurence

in one sense obviously a shame to see it broken, but without gearbox I have no idea why anyone would want the hull alone, unless they have a spare one of course (or are willing to "deal" with Helston). 

that said, the fact Bovvy let it go in the first place suggests they do not regard it as of "significant" national heritage, so if it will keep others running via parts breaking, so be it.

Well; Here in the USA, my Fox has been listed For Sale for about 4 yrs- no offers even.  Photos are on Mapleleaf.  Didn't know about the rarity when I bought it, but we went for a 60 mph drive on the Idaho freeways that day. Even without a gearbox I could see that hull in 2 wheel drive with a truck engine and trans, driving down the road.   Newc