Lost A15 Crusader?

jchinuk

I visited "Locomotion" at Shildon earlier this week and I noticed that the cutaway A15 Crusader Mk.II on the warflat (previously in the Beverley Museum) has been replaced by a Universal Carrier.

I enquired about it, but the staff I spoke to seemed to think that as the Carrier had tracks it was a "tank".

I visited pursuing one of my other interests, very early steam locomotives, but I wonder if any one here knows where the tank has gone?

Thanks in advance.

JCH

Edited by jchinuk

3 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

This what l was told the museum sold it and it was sold again to a large private collection in the UK

Interesting.  I assumed, like most of the Beverley, collection it was owned by the National Army Museum.  It was only at "Locomotion" as it arrived on the warflat for their display.

That said, the NAM has no location for it's bigger exhibits.

Thanks for the response.

JCH

49 minutes ago, jchinuk said:

That said, the NAM has no location for it's bigger exhibits.

I thought the NAM had a large storage facility (Stevenage comes to mind). About 8 years ago the Tank Museum stored the NAM vehicle collection in their new Vehicle Conservation Centre  while the NAM had work done on their storage building. I had a brief walk around the vehicles at that time and recall some rare vehicles.

As some one who has a interest in the collection from beverley a few facts the vehicle collection numbered over one hundred items the NAM collection now stands at forty some where sold some transfered which meant that they became the property of the new owners to do as they wished . Some went to other registered museums and are well looked after and  so on all of this can be proved 

Edited by wally dugan

55 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

I thought the NAM had a large storage facility (Stevenage comes to mind). About 8 years ago the Tank Museum stored the NAM vehicle collection in their new Vehicle Conservation Centre  while the NAM had work done on their storage building. I had a brief walk around the vehicles at that time and recall some rare vehicles.

Sorry, I meant to display larger exhibits to the public.

jch

Disgusting situation  , its the North/South divide - where can a party of school children be taken to view a gun-tank or private individual go in the North of England  ? or for that matter Scotland.  State museums have a education responsibility..

30 minutes ago, ruxy said:

Disgusting situation  , its the North/South divide - where can a party of school children be taken to view a gun-tank or private individual go in the North of England  ? or for that matter Scotland.  State museums have a education responsibility..

IWM (North) is in Manchester, there is a small selection of armour at the museum next to the Nissan plant at Sunderland.

That said, the IWM seems more interested in the likes of the "Greenham Common Women" these days, than the hardware of conflict.

jch

I assume the museum next to the Nissan plant is the North East ,Land,Sea & Air Museum.    I don't live that far away , I doubt if there is any British Tanks ,  possibly a local Sherman garaged there when not on summer circuit  ?       When the NEMVG  lost their storage/museum near Gosforth - the situation was on the slide and that was 4 decades ago.

For information the Universal Carrier is the one that was previously exhibited at the DLI Museum at Aykley Heads, Durham before the collection was spread about numerous locations as a “cost cutting exercise” by the local authority.