Historic Vehicle Status

LarryH57

Lucky for me, my 1980 'HG' registered GS Lightweight is now 40 years old and I have just had it pass its last MOT, though an advisory on the tyres

So I thought I'd check the GOV. website regarding Historic status.

However, it makes no mention of timing, so do I have to wait till 1st January 2021 or do they appreciate a bit of notice, if I go to the Post Office in December?

Also it is W registered so will the letter I have from defunct Army Museum in Beverley suffice to show it was built in Oct 1980? 

It has no material changes; same engine and gearbox and chassis!

I pay my Lwt vehicle tax by Direct Debit so I was going to cancel it after the last day of December.

Edited by LarryH57

Suffix   'W'   was issued from  01/8/1980  to  30.7/1981   -  Suffix was the old rule , so many new cars were registered  01/8/1980.  Following the new car neighbours - I registered  19FM65  L'wt on  01/8/1980  (it is of 1974 manufacture).   The rules changed  01/8/1982  when   Suffix 'Y'   started -  so my  92KA58  L'wt   first registered  Nov. 1997   (it is of 1983 manufacture) -  so it must get a age of manufacture related 'Y' plate and does.   End of Suffix alphabet ,new  Prefix 'A'   started 01/8/1983 to get a prefix A or any following annual prefix - it had to be first registration of a NEW vehicle,  so my  57KB73  L'wt  (it is of 1983 manufacture) - first registered May 2001 gets  a Prefix "A" plate.

If you are still with me ,  due to MOD  VRM's not running from 1st Aug. to 1st Aug.  then  --HG--  can end up with a civvy plate letter under old or new rules ,  however being on a "W" plate - it must be 40 years of age or even older - so if you do a DVLA search on 40 years + 1 day - then it should be showing of "Historic Status automatically" as computer based.    One would hope so , however I would expect young employees of  DVLA only know the new rules when dealing with a desk enquiry.    Beverley Museum of Army Transport - ask Wally.     In my experience - you went to the local office , they demanded the Release Notes (blue slip I forget the official Form number) , it is at the other side of their counter and no pleading / promise ever returned it .   So if you did not photo-copy it prior then you were in $hit creek if you wished to maintain sound accurate records.  They must have been only interested that you had not stolen the vehicle from the MOD material park !

Well if l signed it then  you will have got a photocopy of the B419 record giving the DIS also details of any receipt dates The DVLA accepted  the letter as proof of year of manufacture for registration  l think you will have to wait until 1 st of april 2021

Edited by wally dugan
spelling

This all cropped up a few months back.  I had thought that a current MoT was a necessity.  "Oats and Barley" assured me that that wasn't the case and he was right.  Your vehicle does not require a current MoT.  This was the exchange, " 

Oats & Barley said, "The DVLA says Quote you do not need to pay vehicle tax if your vehicle was built before 1 JAN 1980 .this does not apply to large vehicles"

I replied, 

"You're right - but that applies from each April.  So it won't change to 1 Jan 1981 until April 2002.  But... and this is the more important point:  it looks as though you are quite right regarding not requiring an MoT and, for that I sincerely apologise and thank you.  Because, it seems there is a form V112 on which you can declare that the vehicle doesn't require an MoT when applying to register the vehicle as historic.  I had previously read the guidance notes but clearly badly as under category "r" (perhaps I didn't read that far) it includes: "(GB only) A vehicle other than a public service vehicle registered or manufactured 40 years ago and which has not been substantially changed in the last 30 years."  So, that means that, if you take your V5 and a V112 to a post office which deals with VED, with a cover note or insurance certificate they will send it all off for you and you're good to go.  You may even use your vehicle prior to receipt of confirmation from the DVLA.  I shall try this next week and see how I get on! "

This is what I wrote back to Oats and Barley having done it, "I ought to have replied more promptly to this.  I followed your advice, took my paperwork to the post office - they weren't interested in any supporting documents, (as you forecast) but simply sent off the V5 and within a couple of days DVLA had changed the status on line showing the vehicle as exempt from MOTs.  The Post Office, despite being small and with relatively new staff, weren't phased in the slightest - they seemed to be familiar with the process, which surprised me.  The replacement V5 was back within about three weeks."

Edited by 10FM68

So from what I gather, no point in sending an MOT cert as these are online anyway and I can only stop paying Vehicle Tax after 1st April 2021. My MOT is good till November 2021. So I guess my trip to the Post office can be in March 2021 and I will have to wait to hear from Gov before I cancel my Direct Debit.

It is all a Mare's Nest  ,  if you can find patience with FB , then expand all the comments and replies to the recent post of Butty Butt - concerting same with his  FFR  55HG87.  

All complicated because MOD  "Release Notes"  auction receipt had no actual date of manufacture.  Often the DIS just stated the Month/ Year. Normally  DVLA  consider the cars FIRST registration as opposed to the Manufacture Year,  most December built cars are not registered until the January of the next year.  People getting "Heritage" Certificates,  Solihull to get Sespatch In / Out dates.  'B' Cards from Museum , doing Merlin searches  etc. etc.

I'm sure there are MV owners on here who have succeeded in getting Historic Status for their vehicles, especially Jeeps of dubious parentage so I propose to not leave this matter till W registered vehicles from 1991 are 40 years old. Also any half wit from the Ministry will know Land Rover stopped making Lightweights in late 1984

I’ve changed tax class to historic on 4 vehicles so far. It is very easy. Take the V5 to the post office, tell them what you want to do and walk out 5 mins later with it all sorted. A new V5 appears in the post, the next year you can renew the tax online for free. 

4 hours ago, sirhc said:

I’ve changed tax class to historic on 4 vehicles so far. It is very easy. Take the V5 to the post office, tell them what you want to do and walk out 5 mins later with it all sorted. A new V5 appears in the post, the next year you can renew the tax online for free. 

There is your answer Larry ,  go to your nearest MAIN Post Office and follow the instructions of   sirhc   , and of course report back in full  HERE.

It doesn’t have to be a main post office. I have done it at a few different ones. You just need to find one with helpful and competent staff. Where I used to live the little village post office were very helpful and less of a queue than a main post office. 

Gets better -  Larry. 

I will be waiting for 1984 ,   FIRST registration of  85KB04   ,  more or less decided to fit  BRITPART  !!   civvy spec.  springs , claimed as manuf. by the OEM to Santana (along with Std. shocks).    I have this set up on a Rover 10 that I fitted new original Bramber springs ,  vast £ saving on Paracetamol..

I purchased   85KB04 from  MVS    Jan. 1998 ,  had DMG Autos @ Alrewas , give a clean MOT ticket 07.01/98  & drove it home on trade plates.  I have all the MOD Service Records - mileage still 33,516  -  garaged on blocks 22 years. 

At least I have 4 years to fit the winterization kit , if Covid19 does not get me..

2 hours ago, sirhc said:

It doesn’t have to be a main post office. I have done it at a few different ones. You just need to find one with helpful and competent staff. Where I used to live the little village post office were very helpful and less of a queue than a main post office. 

Exactly.  As I wrote above...

I took my paperwork to the post office - they weren't interested in any supporting documents,  but simply sent off the V5 and within a couple of days DVLA had changed the status on line showing the vehicle as exempt from MOTs.  The Post Office, despite being small and with relatively new staff, weren't phased in the slightest - they seemed to be familiar with the process, which surprised me.  The replacement V5 was back within about three weeks."

The Post Office hadn't been open a year at that point, yet they still knew what was required.  All perfectly straightforward.

• 3 months later...

My Post Office that reputedly does Vehicle Excise Duty (Car Tax) for people, had not a clue about me trying to register my W Reg, 1980 built Lwt, as Tax Exempt. They just about got the idea of of a V112 for an 'Exemption to an MOT' but I have one ready. Then I was given a V62 which deals with lost V5 C docs - but that's no good as I have my V5C. Next I was given a V10 to complete but that only deals with actually taxing a vehicle and paying money, which I think I have done enough of over 40 years of driving.

So which V Form am I missing or should I ask for?

I can't believe how lucky one HMVF member above was to walk in to a PO and come out with the matter all taken care of.

I thought due to Covid the might allow me to deal online - But it seems the DVLA / VED exemptions team, wants people to only deal with Post Office!

Thanks

Edited by LarryH57
  • Like 1

Go to the post office with your v5 .Tel them you would like to tax your vehicle and change the category to historic. They will the check on there data base. If historic is available on there system they can tax it for for 12 months f.o.c and send your v5 off toDVLA f.o.c and it will come back at the DVLAs convenience.

30 minutes ago, LarryH57 said:

My Post Office that reputedly does Vehicle Excise Duty (Car Tax) for people, had not a clue about me trying to register my W Reg, 1980 built Lwt, as Tax Exempt. They just about got the idea of of a V112 for an 'Exemption to an MOT' but I have one ready. Then I was given a V62 which deals with lost V5 C docs - but that's no good as I have my V5C. Next I was given a V10 to complete but that only deals with actually taxing a vehicle and paying money, which I think I have done enough of over 40 years of driving.

So which V Form am I missing or should I ask for?

I can't believe how lucky one HMVF member above was to walk in to a PO and come out with the matter all taken care of.

I thought due to Covid the might allow me to deal online - But it seems the DVLA / VED exemptions team, wants people to only deal with Post Office!

Thanks

You need to wait until April, as I said before. As stated on the website, currently it is only tax exempt if built before 1st Jan 1980.

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/vehicles-exempt-from-vehicle-tax

It is really that easy, if your vehicle is exempt, which yours is not... yet.

There was some muttering from behind the counter that I have to come back in April?

In the past I taxed it in July. In recent years I have taxed it online via Direct Debit which I want to cancel sometime.

Does April 2021 make any sense? It was first registered as W Reg on 9th January 1991