Newer than New MVs

N.O.S.

Commercial Motor 27 September carries a 2 page spread of mv pics from the DSEi military equipment exhibition.

2 interesting subjects are:

a British Army MAN 4x4 fitted with 1400kg of cab armour (looks like an off-road Securicor flatbed!!), and

a 6x6 version of the Landrover Defender, rated at 7t GVW. Apparently Solihull refuses to "give up just yet on the Operational Utility Vehicle System procurement programme to choose a light to medium vehicle" (quoting article here.....)

Doubt it, that 6x6 is a refurbished Perentie with the current Puma engine. The current fleet (pre wolf) looks like it's going to be refurbished, there were an example of a good as new refurb from Hobsons and a similar but not so comprehensive job from ABRO at the same show. It's the latter that will happen.

I'd very suprised if Land Rover ever supply the MOD in large numbers again.

The new MAN fleet are good looking trucks, shame there's not much British about them. At least the army is being provided with some decent transport.

Standard answer Adam, cost. The Landy does the job at 2/3 price of Pinzagauer. Pinzagauer has been approved for special application such as RAF Trauma crash units, and boy you should she that , a mobile intensive care/operating theatre, and as ground units for the new JASTAR system.

If we are off to raid the Defence Dynamics Roadshow. I fancy one of the new JCB MUTT traucks. Speacking to old mates they are seriously impressed by the Kit and the companies attitude. So I'm told JCB are great to work with, ask for something a couple of phone calls and they get things done.